rifle or true temper dynamic gold

terapins

How does one choose between the two.  What are the advantages of each and disadvantages.  just trying to learn.. thanks

This is reprinted from a Golf Club maker/Fitter. I copied it a long time ago and thought it was great information on the differences between the two.

Differences Rifle and Dynamic Gold

Rifles are frequency (flex) sorted and Dynamic Gold's are weight sorted (Project X shafts are frequency sorted and a constant weight throughout the set. The PW is a shorter shaft but it weighs the same as the 3 iron shaft).

My personal experience with all 3 (and some disagree) is that Rifles hit the ball higher than DG's. The rifle is a better shock absorber (not always a good thing), the sensicore is a plastic straw with a thin strip of foam wrapped around it like a barber shop pole. The sensicore does affect the shafts consistency.

When you buy a set of rifle shafts you get a much more consistent set in both flex and weight. When you buy 8-10 DG's, you'll get a range of flexes. I bought 14 DG-S300 shafts a couple of weeks back just to get 8 that were the exact same flex. If you've got a good clubbuilder in your area, you can get the desired results with either shaft. It just takes a little more work with True Temper

the problem with comparing GD flex within a group of shafts is the "standard" for measuring. Just slapping each in a clamp and getting teh freq doesnt work...it is all based on orientation, which is why spining and flo are important....consistent measurement standard.

Unless you have a vrapload of tapers forget about freq matching them with DG.

I like DG better than rifles, they play tighter and I like the trajectory better. Rifles always feel dead to me no matter how good I am swinging.

I have to go with Rifles, feel, consistency and just plain overall performance. Keep in mind this is a purely subjective opinion, based on my own experince. But for me there is no contest, it's Rifle Shafts

I have to go with Rifles, feel, consistency and just plain overall performance. Keep in mind this is a purely subjective opinion, based on my own experince. But for me there is no contest, it's Rifle Shafts

I'm with you on the Rifles. They feel much snappier and better to me.

In the words of a good friend of mine who also happens to be a pro and clubmaker, It's not a steel shaft unless it says Dynamic Gold. The rifles especially the project X feel really funny to me. I can't deny the performance, it does seem to kick nice and consitant, but they just don't have the snap of DG. I also find the weighting the px really weird. It's like there's more weight in the butt of the club or something like that. Just feels weird to me. They are definitely not the same shaft.

Well boys, based on the response; it looks like True Temper and Royal Precision will both be in business for many years to come. 8) 8)

There's one more big difference between Rifle and DG shafts. They have different balance points.

Rifle's have a 50:50 weighting which gives them a more solid, one piece feeling. DG has a 60:40 weighting. That's why they have this "snap" to it.

Also the 50:50 balance point of the Rifle's gives them a tighter dispersion than the DG have.

haribo

I'm with you primo, i had a set of project 5.5 rifles put in my 690cb's and find the head to be really light. I've added lead tape to the head to bring the head weight up, strange shafts? Going to take some getting used to. I've been a DG x100/s300 man for so long, wanted to try somrthing new. Not so sure it was a good move? want to buy some irons? Ha! :lol: