Ryoma Maxima Type-V (my first JDM club), what to expect compared to my current gamers?

LudaCliff

Hello TSGers!

After a few weeks of contemplating I pulled the trigger and have just picked up my first JDM club, a second hand Ryoma Maxima Type-V 9.5* with a GD AD DI-7s @ 45" D2. The club is coming from Japan and I am expecting to receive it in a week or two. I am really excited to hit it has so many great reviews on the forum regarding it's distance and forgiveness. I am anxious to see how it will compare against my two current (USDM) gamers. It would be great if anyone could provide some insight on what I might expect (distance, trajectory, forgiveness) from the this Maxima V + AD DI-7s vs. my two gamers.

Currently I have two drivers that I am rotating between:

1) Nike Covert 2.0 Black (set at 9.5* + open face angle) / Kuro Kage TiNi 60 S @ 45" D4.5

2) Krank Formula 5 9* / Kuro Kage TiNi 60 S @ 45" D3

My swing is around 95-97mph with a quick transition at the top. To compare the two heads more equally I put the same shaft (KK TiNi 60 S) and length in both heads. I really like the KK TiNi 60 S and feel that it has fit me very well so far.

Both drivers are great and I am hitting it farther than I ever have. For me the Nike is a little longer and gives me a mid penetrating trajectory, which I prefer. It is very straight and forgiving for me and is the one I have been using the most. The Krank is also long but surprised me as it is by far the straightest and most forgiving head I have ever hit. There are times that I have hit drives off the extreme toe and heel and the ball went as long and straight as if I hit it toward the middle of the face. However, the Krank at 9* launches higher and with a less penetrating trajectory than I would like, which is why I have been using the Nike more often. Other than that, it is the straightest head I have hit. It is vey hard for me to hit a draw or fade with it as it simply likes to go straight. When I miss it is either a straight pull or block.

Being that the Krank has been so forgiving and straight for me, I am interested to see how the Maxima will compare. Will it be as or more forgiving, but longer? That would be awesome. I know the AD DI-7s in the Maxima is a little heavier and maybe stiffer, but if anyone can provide any advice on how this head/shaft combo might play I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Aloha!

What matters most is how you hit it, the advice of others comes with so many variables.

I would assume that it won't be as straight or low spin as your crank, it's a higher launching head for sure and shafts with an active tip play much more so due to the shallow hosel depth, this can lead to a wider dispersion as well as more distance.

Finding the right shaft is important for this club.

Also I find people with a smoother swing tend to get the best results with it and aggressive swings need to tip or find very tip stiff shafts.

Much depends on how your swing melds with this combo.

Can't add much to what Chris has said. Great head with great feel. If it doesn't work for you, consider reshafting it before selling it.

Best head I've ever hit. Can tend to hook but if you can get the visual alignment to where you want it expect the most consistently long and straight drives of your life.

I have also heard that the Krank Formula 5 is amazingly straight. It looks a bit outlandish though

It's amazingly ugly, that I know.

Maxima head has an extreme back CG, hence the forgiveness. Shaft matching for the Maxima is very difficult. I just paired it with Diamana X (high kick shaft) and has good results with it. It gives me avg 1900 rpm of ball spin. It's very forgiving, meaning it tends to go straight even on mis hit with minimal distance lost (due to back CG) so working the ball with this head might be difficult. Overall, the one of the most high-tech driver available on the planet right now.

It's amazingly ugly, that I know.

Ha ha, yeah true that. I have the old "El Diablo" head and it might be even uglier..

I've hit some of my longest drives with the maxima and also some of the most offline ones as well lol. Currently paired with fuji pro ts 73x. It's by far the longest I've hit so far. Can be a but wild though. The closed look at address even though square face can mess with my head at times

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I would defer to Chris when it comes to shaft recommendations, but mine plays extremely well with a Quadra Fire Express Max WBQ shaft. I have just recently put this back in the bag and really love it. Great combination of feel, forgiveness, and length. Great overall performer.

• 11 months later...

I wandered away from this club last summer, as I got a Callaway 816 DBD that I was very impressed with. This winter a friend sent me the Cobra King LTD and that has occupied my time for the past few months. I just took the Maxima back out yesterday, and it made me wonder why I ever bothered trying these other drivers. The sound and feel of the Maxima is among the best. It plays with a reliable draw for me, except on bad swings. It is as long as any other driver I have played. I would attribute the inconsistency to my swing rather than the club, but I guess the shallow hosel depth could contribute to this issue. While I expect that I will be continually rotating these 3 drivers in and out of the bag, I am going to give the Maxima a couple of weeks of prime time in the bag, so I can get used to it again.

I'm searching for a shaft to lower the trajectory of this head (9.5).

SS at 100-105mph, I tried Tour AD BB 6X hoping the stiffness of the shaft and the stiffness of the tip will lower the trajectory but its still too high for my liking.

Comparing to 10 deg ZY-11, its still goes out much higher.

Will Tour AD M9003 6S help?

Fitted my Ryoma Maxima type V 9.5 deg with M9003 6S shaft at 45.5" in length and D3 SW. Had a game today and ball flight came down to what I wanted. My drive distance was abt 260 yards consistently with 1 super drive.

Happy and satisfied for now...