Fantastic session at 7D

nobmontana

I added 30 grams to my Miura SIT head and it came out at D8 - did this 2 weeks ago - never hit the driver as long or as straight.. I feel like I compress the ball to another level and that my misses are way tighter.. Im playing at 43.5 and a matrix ozik 7m3 :-)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you guys playing stiffer than norm because your playing such long drivers and that the heavier heads make them whippier?

Longest I've tried was 45.5! Id like to try a 46-46.5!

Are you guys playing stiffer than norm because your playing such long drivers and that the heavier heads make them whippier?

Longest I've tried was 45.5! Id like to try a 46-46.5!

Besides a run with a Crazy TJ-80 in 8.2, I've never played stiffer than normal. Mostly the opposite actually. I told them what swingweight and length I play and other than that they could do whatever they wanted to get me results. I'll tell you what, for my shaft being closer to XX than stiff, it's still somehow the best feeling shaft I've ever played.

Edited by chiromikey

they actually don't use cpm as a measure of flex.

Would be interesting to get it measured though.

Do tthey advice on what 3 wood/hybrid/iron/wedge shaft you should be using to compliment the driver shaft? If their conclusion is soo dramatic maybe all the clubs in the bag need tinkering with?

Michael...? <g>

No, sorry, Mikey, I've been waiting to hear if mpb has tried a 7D in his 3-wood yet...

OK quick range session with my 7D Ver. S 9* / Grandista combo .

Distance wise I am getting around 10 yards more carry than my AF153 9.5* / AAA combo measured on my Yupitel Atlas.

Trajectory is lower with the 7D / Grandista and looks like it ls rolling out much more than my 153 / AAA.

Small draw to straight ball flight. Very very very tight dispersion.

I'd say the overall distance gain might be close to 15 or 20 yards given that I am getting more roll.

I'll have to get on a Trackman to get more accurate measures.

Maybe this is still my honeymoon period , but the 46.5" length is not bothering me at all so far and the D9 SW is not causing any issues. What's most amazing is how comfortable it felt to swing from the get go.

Usually it takes me at least a few range sessions to adjust to a new driver to hit it at the middle of the face.

Really feels familiar probably because its designed to fit my swing and timing.

So far so good!!

I feel pretty confident that I can get more out of this driver as I get used to it more.

I also took out my Zodia OZ Ti-FW out for a spin as well.

The head is big and flat. More forgiving than my 202HT. I set this up at 44" to compliment my 46.5" driver.

Shaft is the Basileus Z FW 75 Stiff. Consistently getting 10 to 15 yards more carry distance than my Epon 202HT.

Looks like this Zodia OZ 3W is taking the Ace spot in my bag. 202HT will be my backup

Wow ...those are pretty significant gains ! Do you feel the shaft kick in? I am also amazed that the SW has worked out to be so comfortable from the get go. Perhaps worth experimenting with length and SW a little bit with my new builds.

Edited by Staxxx

Great to see you feeling better and getting back it there. Congrats and I look forward to more feedback!

OK quick range session with my 7D Ver. S 9* / Grandista combo .

Distance wise I am getting around 10 yards more carry than my AF153 9.5* / AAA combo measured on my Yupitel Atlas.

Trajectory is lower with the 7D / Grandista and looks like it ls rolling out much more than my 153 / AAA.

Small draw to straight ball flight. Very very very tight dispersion.

I'd say the overall distance gain might be close to 15 or 20 yards given that I am getting more roll.

I'll have to get on a Trackman to get more accurate measures.

Maybe this is still my honeymoon period , but the 46.5" length is not bothering me at all so far and the D9 SW is not causing any issues. What's most amazing is how comfortable it felt to swing from the get go.

Usually it takes me at least a few range sessions to adjust to a new driver to hit it at the middle of the face.

Really feels familiar probably because its designed to fit my swing and timing.

So far so good!!

I feel pretty confident that I can get more out of this driver as I get used to it more.

I also took out my Zodia OZ Ti-FW out for a spin as well.

The head is big and flat. More forgiving than my 202HT. I set this up at 44" to compliment my 46.5" driver.

Shaft is the Basileus Z FW 75 Stiff. Consistently getting 10 to 15 yards more carry distance than my Epon 202HT.

Looks like this Zodia OZ 3W is taking the Ace spot in my bag. 202HT will be my backup

I consider myself to be pretty well informed when it comes to obscure JDM, but that Zodia FW had me intrigued..looks good

went out for a quick 9 last night and things are getting even better.

on a 438 par 4 where I usually have a 135 to 150 yrd approach shot, I had 113 to the pin.

it's a slight right dogleg so i dont think it actually went 325 but nonetheless a very very long drive for me.

Still not 100% recovered yet from injury and not using my left pinky in my grip. LOL! ( cuz it still hurts like hell when i do )

I am missing to the left more than i usually do possibly because of the left grip.

Really looking forward to full recovery so I can maximze the performance of this beast!

Still loving my Zodia 3wd as well. the thing is so long!

For such a large headed fw, it is very easy to hit off the deck.

As I was told, the results just keep getting better. My swing is utter crap right now. I'm arm swinging and not getting my lower body through the ball so I'm duck hooking everything all the way down to my lob wedge (seriously, how the hell does one duck hook a 75yd shot!!)...but my drives are always in play and still way longer than they should be!

Yup, after a full summer of playing the 7D's, I remain utterly impressed. And as I've said before, the most amazing thing for me is not just the distance, but the consistency no matter the condition of my swing. The shaft still seems to adapt to whatever I'm doing, as if it can isolate my strengths and pull them out of not only my best swing, but one that is not my best.

I've also had the opportunity to do a test over time that I thought I'd mention. Since I have two identical T.388 heads and one is shafted with the 7D and the other with a TRPX Messenger 1st, I've taken both out on the course several times and recorded drive distance off the same tee on multiple holes. (I wouldn't mind doing this on a machine, but I prefer seeing what happens outside on my home course.) Average distance with the TRPX came out to 254. Average with the 7D is 268. I also made marks for fairways hit: 53% for the TRPX, and (for me) an astounding 66% with the 7D. This latter stat for me is what has really brought a different joy to my game. Yeah, I like hitting the ball further, but seeing it hit the fairway more is what really makes me feel like I'm playing better.

All this said, the JBeam Blackout with the 7D in it is my hands down winner. I'm averaging 271 in distance with near same consistency of fairways hit at 62%.

These 7D guys are good!

Has anybody other than RLL33 ordered the 7d with only the questionnaire? I would love to go to Tokyo for the full fitting, but don't think that's going to happen this year.

Also, does the 7d shaft only work when built long? I am 5'9 with abnormally long arms and low wrist to floor of 31". I play a driver of 44" and my irons are 1 inch shorter than standard 3-4 degrees flat. I dont think I would play anything longer than 44.5. Would that be an issue with the 7d shafts? I'm currently playing a jbeam blackout with KK proto tini shaft.

Oh damn you rll33. That really does it. I think I'll go 2x more to India this year. The next one will be quick so I can be back for #2 grandchild. But Nov trip thru Tokyo. If time gets too precious, I might just use their distance process. But that report right there nails the deal shut.

Can anyone compare distance fitting vs on site in terms of outcome? Is there enough outcome difference to make it worthwhile? I know the process would be great but how much better is the fine tuning. (ha. It's like everything. That last 3% of benefit gets very expensive!)

Aston -- I play it at 45 1/4".

The recent posts from nob and chiro were the first I'm aware of that went that long and heavy. (It was very interesting to me that both of them were fitted that way in person. Made me wonder if optimal numbers would change for me with an in-person fitting. But I also know that I lean toward lighter shafts anyway, and I believe both of them leaned toward heavier even before their fittings.)

PS. Sorry, chuck, but we both know wanting the best is an asset/liability, pleasure/pain kinda thing... <g>

but we know wanting the best is an asset/liability, pleasure/pain kinda thing... <g>

Amen

That reminds me , I need to get on a trackman to get some numbers for my 7D driver.

It has prove that the 7D will increase distance, accuracy,... but I am curious if by questionnaire fitting it can achieve the optimal launch (14-15 degree) and the spin number for optimal distance without the actual fitting.

As long as they have accurate data on the head you are using and your swing characteristics can be captured somewhat accurately thru the questionnaires, I think they have enough experience and previously accumulated user data to find you a good match.