Where to eat in Osaka / Kyoto

May I recommend one of the set menus at Kikunoi :)

Yoshida Steakhouse in Gion in Kyoto. Expensive, but I have have never had better beef than there. They only serve Ohmi beef, apparently better than Kobe. I don't know about that, but like I said I have never had anything like it. I'm no expert or anything, I have had teppanyaki at a few Kobe beef places in Japan, like Kagura in Kobe city and a few others I can't remember the name of. But Yoshida really is the best I have had. But pricey.

For cheap Kaiten Sushi there is always Musashi on Kawaramachi of course, where the customers WILL be like 90% or even 100% Gaijin because of the Lonely Planet recommendation. It's almost like the western people meeting point in Kyoto..But on the same street, Kawaramachi, 5 min walk further south there is another kaiten place that i can never remeber the name of but if you see the Tourist info office then you just backtrack around 30-40 meters or if you come from Shijo Dori walking north it's just past the same tourist info office.

I call it the "Ryoma" kaiten, because immediately outside the entrance there is a sign marking the place where the revolutionary Sakamoto Ryoma actually was shot dead! Yes, that Sakamoto RYOMA that you can see in the background in the Ryoma golf ads! So for a true JDM lover this is the Kaiten place to visit, ha ha! Anyway, this place is more fun than Musashi, more high tech with the touch screen service and a much wider selection of not only sushi coming down the conveyor belt but you can get all kinds of "creative sushi" dishes some of which are downright weird.

Osaka, i can admit I have only ever walked down Dotonbori to have Okonomiyaki at several different places..Yeah, pretty lame I know.

Too many great places anywhere in Japan and especially Kyoto, please tell us what you like and style of resturaunt.

Too many great places anywhere in Japan and especially Kyoto, please tell us what you like and style of resturaunt.

Start with beef - a tasting menu preferably. Hit me with your best shot.

Ramen.

Whiskey bars

Then notable places, places that made an impression on you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Love those Octopus Balls...take Yakima at the start of Dottonbori in Osaka.

Not a fan of the Okonomiyaki there... Prefer the Hiroshima style.