Modus 3 Tour 120 TX vs Modus 3 System 125 X

Mjr. D

I currently have the Tour 120 in TX (Tour X flex) and they are extremely stable, straight, high, long, mid/low spin with decent feel. However I'm thinking about getting the Modus 3 System 125 in X flex (they don't offer TX) to put in my Seven irons, but I'm concerned they might be too soft and I'm not sure if tipping them is a good idea.

Has anyone played the 120 and the system 125? What differences are there in terms of accuracy, spin, trajectory, feel, etc. Would I be better sticking with the 120 in TX or switching to the System 125 in X (with possibly tipping them)? I'd email Nippon Japan and ask them but I don't speak Japanese and the US site doesn't have the System 125 on there.

Thanks for the help!

So, my swing speed is probably no where yours as I play a stiff in the 125s and previously in the 120s. My take is that the 120s are high launching but also somewhat high spin. They felt great but a little looser to flex (probably from the soft mid section) and dispersion was not the absolute greatest. I have 125s in my P2s and they are fantastic (and I wouldn't recommend tipping them - at least at first). They feel tighter (due to the more stiff tip and slightly stiffer mid section), have a slightly lower ball flight but with lower spin (maybe mid/low)? They are heavier but I am not sure if they are counterbalanced a little or not as they don't feel that much heavier at all. In general, great shaft, tighter dispersion, tad lower ballflight with less spin and a tighter feel. I would probably not tip unless you hit and feel you absolutely need to as the tip is definitely more stiff (based on my feel) than the 120s.

The 125s in X feel MUCH more sturdy than the 120s in X. As mentioned, the 125s are lower with less spin and I think they're a much closer comparison the SP Blues than 120s. I'm not at you're swing speeds but the 125 Xs were out of my league compared to the 120s or 130s.

Great to know! Thanks guys!

How's the feel? I'm thinking about matching these with Seven (s15c) irons so I want something that gives me the best feeling possible for them.

Thoughts?

The 125s in X feel MUCH more sturdy than the 120s in X. As mentioned, the 125s are lower with less spin and I think they're a much closer comparison the SP Blues than 120s. I'm not at you're swing speeds but the 125 Xs were out of my league compared to the 120s or 130s.

Yes, you are correct. Flex/bend profile-wise, the 125s are almost identical to SPBs, only about 5 grams lighter. Anybody that miss the SPBs now that their not being made anymore, should go straight for the 125s.

yes i play both .. all of them.

the 125x were a bit too much for me if i wasnt killing it.

the 125s are absolutely perfect.

they are like a smoother sp blue. same flight , maybe slightyl higher but not much. not as ruff as SP blue.

noticebaly taughter than the 120 and 130s.

they are going into my blades en mass.

i think u might be ok with them non tipped, u tip these and they will become UBER low.

as far as performance shafts go,,

these are the nuts. easily as good as the monaccos with way better feel..

they're listed on the us site now - http://nipponshaft.com/n-s-pro-modus%C2%B3-tour125/

i play 125X in my p2's. i have 130X in my p1's. i hated 120's and i tried a few times (mostly the Titleist fitting cart irons), well they were stiff flex and nobody had X. i just didn't get along with them for some reason. I felt that the 120 was more tip stiff/heavy feel than the other two. if you look at the drawing they made on the US site it says 120 is low-mid launch and "differs with each unique swing" - which seems exactly that as noted by the differences in the posts here and elsewhere. I just last week hit a 6i of an epon sus316 with spb in stiff and compared it to both my p2-125X and p1-130X and spb significantly lower launch (for me). I put an spb in X in one of my 6i and for me it was a bit too heavy and I didn't like the feel as much. stiff (or maybe a hs) is probably better for me in spb's but i'm too lazy to try at this point. i'm happy enough with the 125X. I don't hit my p1's with 130X too often these days as I mostly play the p2s.

tl;dr - i think 120 is more tip stiff, 130 is more butt stiff, and 125 is in the middle. spb lowest launch by far.

I spoke to Nippon today and they had this to say regarding the 120 vs 125 series:

Hi I currently have a set of Modus 3 120 shafts in TX (tour x) flex. However I'm looking at purchasing the Modus System 3 125 shafts in X flex. I'm a big strong guy and swing very hard and aggressive. Which is the better choice for me? I've heard the System 125 is low spin/launch with better feel than the 120 series. Also I'm fine with TX in the 120 series so if I do decide to get the System 125 in X flex should I tip them an inch? Thanks for the help! Rob.

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your email.

The N.S. PRO MODUS³ Tour 120 and N.S. PRO MODUS³ Tour 125 are different structures so it’s difficult to say which model would be “feel” or perform better.

The N.S. PRO MODUS³ Tour 125 is designed for a mid launch, mid spin and mid trajectory, slightly higher than the Tour 120.

We do not recommend tip cutting so we suggest hardstepping, use the 37” (wedge length) for wedges and 9 irons and move up to use the 40.0” in the 3 iron.

Please contact us for any additional questions.

So this is getting confusing. According to Nippon the 125 is mid/mid and not low/low...

Thoughts anyone?

• 5 years later...

no.. not the same... not anything alike actually..

the DG more more laterally , the NS move up/down better.

for the equivalent  in NS  is suggest the  modus 125x  or  the super peening blue x  and do what u need tipping wise.

ptob the super peening wud be ur go . or shimada tour 125x

modus 125 wil have the most  feel of these and launch the highest.

any of these SHUD  be a good change  from DG