Miura CB-201 vs Tourstage Z-101...

rsvman

What do you think? If you had your choice and price was no object, which iron would you choose, the Miura CB-201 or the TS Z-101? Would your answer depend on your handicap, or are both of these iron sets of about the same forgiveness? Thanks for any and all opinions.

Easy, the Miura's.

I will be able to offer some thought s in a week or two. I bought the tour satin Z101s the end of last year and have only been able to hit on the range so far. My early impressions are they are awesome, and feel awesome. The "feel" of a golf club seems to be the buzz lately, but comparing against my Cleveland TA7 (which is a super club, and one I am sure would never hurt my scores), the 101 is much more crisp and soft at the same time if that makes any sense. Anyways, I am enthused by Miura's entrance into the US market, and this morning ordered the CB201s to compare. I like having a couple of sets, and I truly will test them both and play with the set I prefer. But the Miura's for under 1K are a steal IMO.

I will add that I will be shocked if the Miura's "feel" noticeably better than the Z101s. The 101s are so pure I can't imagine it will be that easy of a decision. If they do feel that much better I guess I will agree with the "forged by the hands of God" reference.

MCsub - will be interesting to hear your comments after hitting both. "Noticeably better"... well, feel is so subjective, so all I can tell you is Miura's feel completely different than anything else I've ever hit (and I've hit the 101s).

Boyce - I am pretty excited knowing that you have hit the 101s and would still "easily" choose the Miura's. On their website they tout the 201 as Mr. Miura's "best forginging" to date. Can't wait to try them. I also ordered them on DG S300, whereas the Zs are on Rifle 6.0, so that may account for something too.

I have the CB1005s (the japanese version the 201s are based on) in my bag, and they are there to stay.

Well, Guys I am happy to say that on this particular subject I can tell you first hand the results of a test I just happened to try out last night.

Yesterday in the mail I got my "Test" sample seven iron from Miura of the CB-201

I had Bill at Miura fit it with a 5.5 Project X shaft and I can tell you that the combination of the satin finished head of the iron and the satin finish of the shaft really looks great!

It is cold here in Pittsburgh, but last night I had to take my Z101 seven iron and the new CB-201 out to the heated range and try them out.

I have been playing the Z's now for about the last year. They are certainly great clubs and very forgiving considering they look almost like a set of blades.

But... I must admit with Boyce that the Miura really does have a feel of its own.

This is my first time ever hitting a Miura iron and I have to tell you that the combination of the PX shaft and the iron is really a great feel.

It is very soft, but yet as solid a feel that I have ever felt in a iron.

Also you need to consider that the temperature last night was about 30* when I was trying them out. Even in the cold weather I could feel the difference in the softness of the clubhead. I am also sure that the shaft helps to reduce some of the shock factors.

I have just plain Rifles in my Z's and that is still a great shaft and a great club.

I think that no matter which of those two irons you would decide to play you would be happy.

Admittedly.... I am now leaning towards the Miura's... they really are so sweet!

My plans now is to get the rest of the set ordered through Bill at Miura.

It is a really neat program that they have started. YOU can order any club you want... pay for it and they ship it to you with any spec you want, shaft, grip etc.

Try them out and if you like them... order the rest of the set. If you dont like them... they will refund your money for the sample club, which you are obligated to return and you pay the shipping back.

It is a great program in my mind and they have me sold.

I will be ordering the rest of my clubs today!

I hope this helps!

Mike

But... I must admit with Boyce that the Miura really does have a feel of its own.

This is my first time ever hitting a Miura iron and I have to tell you that the combination of the PX shaft and the iron is really a great feel.

It is very soft, but yet as solid a feel that I have ever felt in a iron.

Mike

Hey, Mike - I had PX's in mine at first and thought the PX's felt a little harsh. But the heads felt great! I pulled the TFRs from my MP29s and put them in the Miura's and... holy crap, even softer feel!

Either way, my Miura's will NEVER come out of my bag!

Boyce..... I agree! That is one very sweet set of irons.

I like the PX shafts. I like the kick of that shaft and to me it still offers a softer feel than the TT shafts, but not quite as soft as the standard Rifles.

I guess it is all just personal precerence.

Either way.... The Miura's are great irons. I am glad I bought them.

I cant be happier with the shape, size etc.

Fairways and Greens..

Mike