983 E with 660 TR X from Jow Kwok: first impression

ziggy1

Just got it last week and hit some range balls and played one round. I really love the shape, size, looks and feel of the E, and wanted to have a 660TR after reading so much positive stuff about it.

It´s a 9.5 and set´s up 1.5 degrees open. Real loft is 10.6 degrees (Joe measured both angles). 45 inches and D4 swingweight (I wanted to have it heavy). Shaft is untipped and inserted 1.75 inches. Perfect work from Joe.

To me, the 660 plays to a real X stiff. It feels a bit stiffer than the Six X in my other driver (500 tour), but I have no problems loading the shaft. It´s definitely a fairway finder, and the distance is a bit shorter than my 500 tour. Since the E is heavier and the shaft stiffer, I need to get used to it a bit more to get the full performance out of it, and I have the feeling that it will be as long as my 500tour once I´m used to it. The ballflight is a bit lower than my 10.5 TM, but not much. Nice boring trajectory with a lower launch than the R500.

Now here comes the strange part:

This head sounds almost like an old Ping driver. So unbelieveably loud, I can not believe it. I had two other 983E before, and both sounded nice, solid and slightly muted. This thing is a totally different beast. It´s not a high pitch "ping" from e.g. the first Cally big berthas, but more a lower "bang". Hard to describe, but if 14 people stop hitting balls on the range, you´ll agree that it´s on the loud side.

Is there something wrong with the head?

Is it possible that a different shaft sounds different?

Performance is paramount of course, but I don´t know if I can get used to that sound....

Anyone has a similar experience?

No No, Not on this head. I didn't add weight inside the head at all, In fact I remebered that i only add only a bit of lead plug by the tip. And I'm sure this will not cause the sound ata ll.

3 things on top of my head that might cause this,

1. Some heads are just slighly different, most like is a good sign of a hot face.

2. Yes, Most of the time when you reshaft w/ different shaft will change the sound. Epsecially if you went to a better tighter quality shafts. This is most likely the cause!

3. Hope this is not the one! A cracked face. Some cases doesn't effect the distance but definitely the sound. Depending where it crack. I rarely fond an E w/ a cracked face, I saw some on D. Get a quater and tap it around the head ( face and sole ), if there is a crack spot, it will gives a different sound.

Good luck!

Joe

No No, Not on this head. I didn't add weight inside the head at all, In fact I remebered that i only add only a bit of lead plug by the tip. And I'm sure this will not cause the sound ata ll.

3 things on top of my head that my cause this,

1. Some heads are just slighly different, most like is a good sign of a hot face.

2. Yes, Most of the time when you reshaft w/ different shaft will change the sound. Epsecially if you went to a better tighter quality shafts. This is most likely the cause!

3. Hope this is not the one! A cracked face. Some cases doesn't effect the distance but definitely the sound. Depending where it crack. I rarely fond an E w/ a cracked face, I saw some on D. Get a quater and tap it around the head ( face and sole ), if there is a crack spot, it will gives a different sound.

Good luck!

Joe

now that you say it... the sound of my K changed when I went to the pro lite...

Joe: did you go full insert or did you blind bore it a bit? if you didn't fully insert it that could seriously affect the resonance of the head.

Good luck!

Joe

Joe: did you go full insert or did you blind bore it a bit? if you didn't fully insert it .

that could seriously affect the resonance of the head

Shaft is untipped and inserted 1.75 inches.

I don't think so, unless there is a hollow spot. Even that I would hardly believe it.

The hard proof is when you change from graphite to a steel shaft, this will definitely louder.

Joe

You'll learn to love the thunder when your booming it past your friends.

That´s a good one! :D

Thanks for your replies. I´ll do the coin test and try to get used to. It´s definitely NOT a performance issue at all.....

I´ll keep you informed about my "T-Bang" :twisted:

Good luck!

Joe

Joe: did you go full insert or did you blind bore it a bit? if you didn't fully insert itthat could seriously affect the resonance of the head

Shaft is untipped and inserted 1.75 inches.

I don't think so, unless there is a hollow spot. Even that I would hardly believe it.

The hard proof is when you change from graphite to a steel shaft, this will definitely louder.

Joe

Oh you went from Steel to Graphite... yeah huge difference...

but I still think the insertion depth would effect the sound. its the difference between two contact points and one.

If you strike a cymbal on different sides at the same time it will not sound as loudly as when it sounds when struck only once.

Just got it last week and hit some range balls and played one round. I really love the shape, size, looks and feel of the E, and wanted to have a 660TR after reading so much positive stuff about it.

It´s a 9.5 and set´s up 1.5 degrees open. Real loft is 10.6 degrees (Joe measured both angles). 45 inches and D4 swingweight (I wanted to have it heavy). Shaft is untipped and inserted 1.75 inches. Perfect work from Joe.

To me, the 660 plays to a real X stiff. It feels a bit stiffer than the Six X in my other driver (500 tour), but I have no problems loading the shaft. It´s definitely a fairway finder, and the distance is a bit shorter than my 500 tour. Since the E is heavier and the shaft stiffer, I need to get used to it a bit more to get the full performance out of it, and I have the feeling that it will be as long as my 500tour once I´m used to it. The ballflight is a bit lower than my 10.5 TM, but not much. Nice boring trajectory with a lower launch than the R500.

Now here comes the strange part:

This head sounds almost like an old Ping driver. So unbelieveably loud, I can not believe it. I had two other 983E before, and both sounded nice, solid and slightly muted. This thing is a totally different beast. It´s not a high pitch "ping" from e.g. the first Cally big berthas, but more a lower "bang". Hard to describe, but if 14 people stop hitting balls on the range, you´ll agree that it´s on the loud side.

Is there something wrong with the head?

Is it possible that a different shaft sounds different?

Performance is paramount of course, but I don´t know if I can get used to that sound....

Anyone has a similar experience?

My E is ridiculously loud at my range b/c there are enclosed stalls, walls go to about chest height. On the course, I don't notice it at all.

What are the playing characteristics of the 660? Is it supposed to get the ball up a bit? High kick, low kick? I currently have a Purple Ice tipped and fully inserted in my E and love it, but it's always interesting to hear another review.

Thanks!

My E is ridiculously loud at my range b/c there are enclosed stalls, walls go to about chest height. On the course, I don't notice it at all.

What are the playing characteristics of the 660? Is it supposed to get the ball up a bit? High kick, low kick? I currently have a Purple Ice tipped and fully inserted in my E and love it, but it's always interesting to hear another review.

Thanks!

I have a 983E 8.5* with the Purple Ice. Didn't get it tipped but went full insert. I have to admit that it can seem a little loud at times.

I've had a few different E's with many different shafts and they were always more of a "Smack" sound. Muted Titleist sound to me. Nothing ever loud or sharp sounding.

I've had a few different E's with many different shafts and they were always more of a "Smack" sound. Muted Titleist sound to me. Nothing ever loud or sharp sounding.

I agee with Jim. I've had three different 983s--with 757, 661, and a 660TR. The sound is definitely louder than muted Tourstages, as an example, but not offensively so....I'm a stickler for such things and it didn't bother me.

well my 983E had a 661 in it factory and it was really solid feeling close to the D in feel.

I agee with Jim. I've had three different 983s--with 757, 661, and a 660TR. The sound is definitely louder than muted Tourstages, as an example, but not offensively so....I'm a stickler for such things and it didn't bother me.

I get more noise from off center hits than the ones that stay in the sweet spot. The E is definitely quieter than the R540XD I had or the new Cobras I hit at the range last week. Both of those were quite noisy.

When I was in florida a few weeks ago I was hitting my E on the range, and it was definitely louder than I remember these heads sounding. It was reshafted with a quality shaft though. I could tell I was absolutely nutting them, felt pretty good. More metalic than my D, but also much hotter.

Just sold it. :(

Even though I had to accept selling at a loss, I could not stand the sound. The more I got used to the head and shaft (the better I hit it), the louder it got.

My R500 tour 10.5 with the Fuji Six is still the benchmark for all other "candidates". I wanted to like the 983E, but not with that "BOING". I will definitely get a second driver, but I´m not sure which ones.

Current favourite candidates:

510 tour mid face 10.5 or 9.5

510 tour deep face (not TP, which I did not like when I tried it) 10.5 or 9.5

XDrive 390

...???

Who knows.

well if you are looking for a really solid high end driver you might want to give the MARU Spec a shout. mine should have been here a couple of weeks ago - damn irish post!

The Maru Spec would be an interesting option, but I have found out that I need loft more than many others. Although my swingspeed is "ok" for my hcp index (108 to 110 mph, currently 6.5), I am getting much better results from more loft. I might loose a bit of ball speed, but I prefer to play my second shot from the fairway.....

Plus many times, our fairways are either wet or not tightly cut, so carry is what I need.

I was thinking about the XDrive 390, but the prospec model is also only 9 degs....

We´ll see.

yeah if you need like 10* loft then the MARU is definitely not the driver for you. it sounds like you need a higher launch + maybe a little more spin. that E should have worked out good for you, except for the sound! the 390 does launch pretty true to loft, if not slightly lower so if 9* is tight, it could be risky. course you could get an R7 and solve all your driving worries!....