What is the truth on the TM RAC FCBs?

MCsub

OK, I gather the "tour" sets were forged by Miura. Where I am confused is about the US retail sets. I have heard they are limited to 400 sets. I also know they have a serial # on the 5 iron. Everyone on the forums say they are forged in China. I have spoken w/ 2 different technical advisors at TM in California, and both times told relatively the same thing - "the sets we have available are not necessarily forged by Miura, but are definitely forged in Japan. We don't do any forgings in China". So that is a quote as good as I can remember it. I am simply skeptical, given that many have reported they come w/ stickers that say "head made in China". So can anyone give some facts about the US sets?

Incidentally, there has been quite a bit of discussion over the Miura vs. Endo vs. other forgings. I personally do not care where they are forged, but am more concerned that some have commented that the non-Miura FCBs feel harsh and no where near as good. At $1000 or so a set, I have to believe they are still a great set of irons, regardless of where they were made. Does anyone have a set of the US version, and how do you like them?

The best way I can tell you to ensure that you are getting a Miura forging is to just plain right out buy the Miura irons.

I just bought the CB-201's and they are just beautiful.

I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a quality set of forged Cb's.

Exactly what I did Mike... my 201s should ship the end of the week and I can't wait to compare them to my Z101s. Finally figured why screw w/ finding the "truth" about TMs while I can get the real thing with a much more obscure following to it. Not going to see a lot of Miura's in your friend's bag :)

i haven't seen a u.s. set. but i've owned a set of rac cb's for close to one year, purchased from the owner of a small golf shop in Orange County. he purchased two sets from the Miura run, rumored to be 1,000 to 1,500 sets. the originals, forged and finished by Miura display flawless workmanship and a ver high quality satin finish. these irons do not have any serial numbers anywhere, including the 5 iron. the only lettering on the hosels should be small case letters "cb" in white. anything else, according to my business associate in Japan, a collector of sorts, are not the original Miura forgings. according to him, TM had only contracted with Miura for one manufacturing run as these sets were (are) commanding a premium price of at least 50% more than their fci / 300 series irons, the best TM forgings up to that point. The price was rationalized by the higher production costs (Miura and a select steel) and a very limited supply. TM felt that attempting to commission Miura to do more rac cb sets would cause a problem with those who had already purchased and compromise TM's credibility by increasing the "limited supply". Oddly enough, I discussed the whole rac cb mystique and confusing stories with a TM rep and he told me that 600 sets of the original Miuras were coming to the states. my Japanese friend did not find this information to be credible, as he felt there was no way 600 of the 1,000 to 1,500 sets were even available. i tend to agree. most believe that the current version of the rac cb's are merely an extention of the cavity back long irons in the current tour preferred combo rac set. if this is the case, these irons would probably have the words " coin forged" in black on the hosels and may continue to have a mirror chrome finish. these are clearly not forged by Miura, but probably forged at the same facility that TM normally utilizes for their forged clubs.

i'm told from those who have hit or own both that there is a difference in feel of the Miuras. i haven't hit the tp combo irons, so i can't comment on the difference.

what i can comment on is that the original, Miura rac cb forgings are easily the purest irons i've hit. they give you exactly what you put in. precision and accuracy are their strength. with the negligible offset, shallow cavity and mid c*o*g they set up and play very bladelike. the feel of this iron isn't as soft as my Mizunos (MP30's and 33's), but more crisp and with better feedback and ultimately more rewarding. this is a great set of forged cb's.

i haven't seen a u.s. set. but i've owned a set of rac cb's for close to one year, purchased from the owner of a small golf shop in Orange County. he purchased two sets from the Miura run, rumored to be 1,000 to 1,500 sets. the originals, forged and finished by Miura display flawless workmanship and a ver high quality satin finish. these irons do not have any serial numbers anywhere, including the 5 iron. the only lettering on the hosels should be small case letters "cb" in white. anything else, according to my business associate in Japan, a collector of sorts, are not the original Miura forgings. according to him, TM had only contracted with Miura for one manufacturing run as these sets were (are) commanding a premium price of at least 50% more than their fci / 300 series irons, the best TM forgings up to that point. The price was rationalized by the higher production costs (Miura and a select steel) and a very limited supply. TM felt that attempting to commission Miura to do more rac cb sets would cause a problem with those who had already purchased and compromise TM's credibility by increasing the "limited supply". Oddly enough, I discussed the whole rac cb mystique and confusing stories with a TM rep and he told me that 600 sets of the original Miuras were coming to the states. my Japanese friend did not find this information to be credible, as he felt there was no way 600 of the 1,000 to 1,500 sets were even available. i tend to agree. most believe that the current version of the rac cb's are merely an extention of the cavity back long irons in the current tour preferred combo rac set. if this is the case, these irons would probably have the words " coin forged" in black on the hosels and may continue to have a mirror chrome finish. these are clearly not forged by Miura, but probably forged at the same facility that TM normally utilizes for their forged clubs.

i'm told from those who have hit or own both that there is a difference in feel of the Miuras. i haven't hit the tp combo irons, so i can't comment on the difference.

what i can comment on is that the original, Miura rac cb forgings are easily the purest irons i've hit. they give you exactly what you put in. precision and accuracy are their strength. with the negligible offset, shallow cavity and mid c*o*g they set up and play very bladelike. the feel of this iron isn't as soft as my Mizunos (MP30's and 33's), but more crisp and with better feedback and ultimately more rewarding. this is a great set of forged cb's.

What he said. :)

:roll: I"ve wrieen this before,i'll try again.(1)-I have owned x300fci's for approx.3 yrs.(2)-I just got my new FCB's approx.2 weeks ago.(3)-These irons are forged in JAPAN and finished in CHINA!!!!!(4)-If you have owned and played Taylormade Japan forgings,you know that the FCB's are even sweeter.(5)-Taylormade sometimes put's the wrong stickers on the irons.(6)-The most important aspect of the iron is not where it's finished,but where it's forged.(7)-These irons only come in a Satin finish.(8)They also have(tour only)satin finish combo set,all forged in Japan by Mirua.That's the Facts!!(9)Too much imformation is no Good!!!!