RomaRo Ray Alpha Irons

TourSpecGolfer

XF5A4290-Edit-Edit.jpg

RomaRo Alpha Irons - I've been testing this one over 1 month casually meaning sometimes I put it in the bag for a round or two and take it to the range. 5-6 rounds and I'm confident I got a grip of what these are all about.
When first opening the box and holding them in hand a question popped into mind: If I had to choose a thinner top line vs less offset and could only choose one which would it be?
XF5A4273-Edit-Edit.jpg
So let's cover what these are and who they are made for, If you look at the RomaRo line up they do a pretty good job of making something for everyone the RomaRo Alpha irons I consider to be their most forgiving yet.
Made with a 15-3-3-3 titanium face and 17-4 stainless steel body in satin finish, available 5-PW with optional #5 and PW, standard shaft options are RomaRo Rj-Ti2 Carbon or NS950 Steel, TSG offers these as heads only or custom shafted with everything we have to offer.
XF5A4258-Edit-Edit.jpg
It's got a low CG thanks to it's deep undercut and thicker sole, forgiveness and a high trajectory are just two of it's attributes and the lofts are prety strong, the PW is 43 and the AW is 58 so about 4* stronger than most today.
RomaRo is proud of it's new face design which is only 2.1mm thick on the #5 iron This is a Titanium face iron made of 15-3-3-3 it's strong but has a powerful pop off the face combined with strong lofts they produce insane distance that you would only expect in larger sized game improvement irons. ※ thickness design: # 4-6 (central 2.1 mm, around 2.4 mm) / # 7 ~ AW (center 2.3 millimeter around 2.4 mm).
XF5A4296-Edit.jpg
our probably wondering how does it feel? Its not as loud as I expected sound is a hollow chink/tink feel with, you can tell its made of Ti, why does that even matter? Titanium has optimal weight and ball velocity for drivers and recently more JDM irons are implementing them, It also gives you the sense of unity with the woods due to it's sound and feel.
Look below I know, I know, first thing I noticed was the offset it's a little much for me, but at the same time it's topline is thin for this type of club, compared against the VG3, TM Rsi TP, Gloire Forged which I have also been messing around with it can fit in dispite the offset, so for what it is and how it performs it's pretty small. Back to my original question "If I had to choose a thinner top line vs less offset and could only choose one which would it be? I would reduce offset because the top line is the thinnest I've seen in a Ti faced GI iron.
XF5A4287-Edit-Edit.jpg

That said, after maybe 20 balls on the range I adjusted hand position and tempo a bit and I was hitting it much better than any of my razor blade compact CB's longer, more forgiving, good unique, but distance and forgiveness are equal to the PRGR Titan RS but this one is smaller and shapped better although it has more offset.

XF5A4264-Edit-Edit.jpg

Sole is thick but not like the others in this iron category, I'm 2.5 clubs longer distance than my MB's. It's pretty shocking of an adjustment coming from single 1 piece forged CB's and Blades it feels as if I am cheating. These are confoming by the way.

XF5A4255-Edit-Edit.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great!Will the off set affect our game in acture playing? My irons game misses are mostly to the left. Should I avoid this type of clubs? or just fit with the right shaft and the off set won't be a problem?

I like the look of these.

• 1 month later...

I would like to thank Chris for pointing me in the direction of these irons. My initial inquiry was a set of irons for a 24 handicapper that are very forgiving but without the extra wide sole. So I ordered the Romaro Ray Alpha irons (5-pw, aw) shafted with Crazy Regenesis STP 50g R flex graphite shafts and they are exactly what I was looking for.

I've had these irons for about two weeks now and have played three rounds with them. The ball flight is mid high and dead straight. They are lofted stronger so they go farther. I hit the AW distances I used to hit my PW. I hit a few bad shots and got a lower ball flight but the shot wasn't much offline. These are by no means point and shoot irons. I'm not a very good ball striker but when I take my time, put on a decent swing, I got good results. I consistently hit greens from distances I never did before. At the moment I'm very confident with my iron play which has always been the weakest part of my game.

Edited by tmelton697

Hi 697,

What irons did you use previously?I'm looking for something at least 1 to 1.5 club longer than normal game improving CB irons. I wonder this set would be it.