Grandista RS-001 Driver Review

TourSpecGolfer

XF5A2722-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

When TSG offers new brands we usually look for a particular type, brands that have a full line up and release products annually, brands that have a unique difference about them like top of the line materials from Japan and ultimately brands that produce products that perform, in this situation Grandista Golf only has 1 product in their line up ( with 2 variants ) so why did we decide to offer it? Because after a few whacks at the ball it was obviously a performer and we are proud to announce our relationship with them.

Not only is the Grandista Driver unique but it's really well thought out in it's design, one of my favorite things is that they use DAT55G from Daido steel co in Japan, yes look for the "G" when shopping DAT55 because that's the one you want this material is one of TSG members favorite on drivers it produces slightly faster ball speeds than the others and of course costs a little more as well.

XF5A2707-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

I guess I don't have to say much about the specs right? It's written on the head itself i've never seen a brand do it like this, they even have the CG length/height/depth and face angle printed in old english :)

Let's take a dip into what makes this driver great before I share my brief thoughts on it. First and most interesting they market the Golden Ration this is something Japan uses a lot in multiple industries and in this case the gravity length, depth, and height all correlate to it, now I don't know how that really plays into it's performance but bottom line is something they are doing works really well.

It's actually available in 2 different face materials, SP700 (Type-S) or DAT55G which is considered a best in class titanium alloy for driver faces due to it's spring-like effect also known as CT "Characteristic of Time" that the ball is compressed against the face and in this case it's VERY high at CT=257.

The crown of the driver is made of a special carbon material which helps in getting the CG lower a bit this was required to get the gear effect to function properly and lends itself to a naturally high trajectory with low spin rates. The tube looking things on the sole they call Roll Bars and that provides enough weight to create the cut away which allowed them to push the CG more forward.

XF5A2754-Edit-Edit.jpg

So lots to love here but my favorite part is the head shape, Grandista spent a lot of time researching this aspect of the driver by asking pro's and top amateurs what they like to see at address and hands down I agree with the many in Japan who think this is the best shaped 460cc driver on the market today. Bold statement but I've seen and own a lot of JDM clubs and in hand in person nothing looks as good as this one.

The driver is square faced available in 9 or 10* lofts and isn't very expensive either compared to other JDM clubs.

XF5A2741-Edit-Edit.jpg

Face is in-between deep and shallow which I also like, no complaints here it's near perfect in my book.

XF5A2760-Edit-Edit.jpg

The golden weight at the end of the Roll Bar is for the brand to adjust weighting as of now there isn't any weights or a wrench available to tweak the settings yourself but no biggie as I would advise against it even if we could do the tweaking on our own. Time for my thoughts on performance...

XF5A2705-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

Ok so I'm playing it to 45.5" D2 with the all new Crazy Regenisis LY-01 in Stiff, I've had this club just under 2 months now and I'm comfortable saying a bit about it.

Feel/Sound - outstanding! typical DAT55G but in the Grandista it's slightly altered due to the carbon crown, the only way I can sum it all up is soft & poppy crunch with a only a hint of hollowness to it... Not super loud not mute either its right in the middle.

Distance/Trajectory - In an age where all drivers pretty much produce similar distances this one while still in that boat I believe will offer certain players more distance than they would expect, I'm a high ball hitter most of the time and the 9* produced a higher low spinning ball flight of course shaft has a lot to do with the launch angle I'm getting but at 9* it seems to play closer to what most people would consider 10* in todays drivers. With the right shaft this driver has a lot potential to be one of the longest.

Dispersion - Thanks to low spin and a good shaft I was able to hit straight shots, for those "in the know" who have hit Jbeam drivers this is almost as straight as the Blackout 435 minus the incredibly low ball flight.

Comparison to my gamer - My main gamers are Jbeam Blackout 435 & ZY-11 both with Seven Dreamers distance shafts and I'm itching to take one of those 7D's and install them in this one. The spin rates are higher than the ZY-11/Blackout but what I like about it is the higher trajectory for more carry on non windy days. The Grandsita RS-001 is good enough that I put it on par with Ryoma & Jbeam as far as performance and feel goes.

Hope you enjoyed my review, The Grandista R-001 is now available and shipping in the TSG Pro Shop ( Click Here )

XF5A2776-Edit-Edit.jpg

Woohoo!! Let the games begin! "Grandista" against the rest of the world!

I will definitely have to report back how my Grandista Ver. S / 7D combo performs after I get my steroid shot into my left wrist :)

Woohoo!! Let the games begin! "Grandista" against the rest of the world!

I will definitely have to report back how my Grandista Ver. S / 7D combo performs after I get my steroid shot into my left wrist :)

remember nob, PED's can ruin your chances for the Hall of Fame ;) lol

You do know those marital aids you take can also trigger a false positive !

Oh I don't care, I just wanna swing my new driver!!!

Killing me to just watch the thing sitting pretty in my bag :(

very good, Stew. top view reminds me of Yammy heads during their prime! I think you would really like this head.

I too would love to try the Grandista with a Waccine GR350 DR shaft !!

The Waccines are terrific shafts...

Grandista RS-001 or JBEAM ZY-11????

Love the looks of both!!!

I too would love to try the Grandista with a Waccine GR350 DR shaft !!

The Waccines are terrific shafts...

Save yourself some dough and try the Fujikura Evo II shaft first. Same maker but the materials, tech etc.. is a couple years ahead.

Grandista RS-001 or JBEAM ZY-11????

Love the looks of both!!!

Depends on what you want, Grandista for a higher launch & more carry and a hotter feel off the face.

ZY-11 if you need to reduce spin by a good amount, hit straighter and want a lower more roll kinda deal.

Kazutaka Yoshida-san was in this thread last night, he is a tour pro and the owner of Grandista.

He has confirmed custom loft, face angle, head weight and other specs can be hand picked if available.

Also that the head without the screws is approx. 185g then he installs the 2 weights bringing it up to 195g standard weight.

If they change the specs, is it also altered on the lettering of the driver, as all the Grandista's I have seen have exactly the same lettering?

Same lettering.  

Mine was ordered as 200g but lettering says 195.

7D did actual measurements of my Grandista head as part of the shaft design and the

measured dimensions actually matched up very tightly with the engraved specs. ( except for the weight , obviously )

Good design , Good manufacturing and quality control , I'd say.

You guys can select:

Loft

Face Angle

Head Weight

DAT55G or SP700 face material ( both are excellent so hard choice )

Text printed on head will not be altered and state original specs not custom.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.... Got my dose of Cortisone today! wrist starting to feel better already.

Got okay from the Doc to start swinging after pain goes away! Grandista - 7D testing coming in a few days.!

I've seen a RS-001 Type S , with a silver face, in addition to the regular RS-001. Is the "s" version shallow faced? Or is the silver faced version the SP700 Ti?

Edited by Vegaman

• 2 years later...

seeking some opinions/comparisons between this driver and two others:

-RS-001 w DAT55G vs LS-001? 

-RS-001 w DAT55G vs original jBEAM BM-435 (not Blackout)

Edited by gregoire56

10 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

seeking some opinions/comparisons between this driver and two others:

-RS-001 w DAT55G vs LS-001? 

-RS-001 w DAT55G vs original jBEAM BM-435 (not Blackout)

LS-001 was easier to hit for me than the RS-001.  The RS-001 felt and sounded better imo.

RS-001 vs 435 Blackout - lower, less spin on the blackout for sure.  both Grandista drivers fly high for me.  the Jbeam is a spin and height killer.

9 minutes ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

LS-001 was easier to hit for me than the RS-001.  The RS-001 felt and sounded better imo.

RS-001 vs 435 Blackout - lower, less spin on the blackout for sure.  both Grandista drivers fly high for me.  the Jbeam is a spin and height killer.

great feedback as always. much obliged. 

the Grandista RS-F is now my favorite wood head of all time, like by far, i personally get crazy distance and find it unbelievably easy to hit with outstanding feel.. knowing that, for the RS-001 and the LS-001, which of the two would you say compliments the RS-F the best? 

I think that is really hard to say. A driver and an FW are very different in terms of how you swing. 

7 hours ago, bngolfer said:

I think that is really hard to say. A driver and an FW are very different in terms of how you swing. 

very true, I suppose I misspoke.. what I meant to ask was whether the RS-001 or LS-001 is more similar in feel/shape/look/usability/etc to the RS-F, instead of saying complimentary because I suppose that is somewhat ambiguous