Can't hit the PRPG Spoon 15* - what's going on?

neova

I picked up the head from Festival Golf while in Japan earlier in May, and wanted to try this fairway wood which has received lots of rave reviews.

Currently it's shafted with a Fubuki Alpha 70 Stiff @ 43". This is a shaft that I've been using with my gamer (RBZ Tour Stage 2 14.5*) for 2 years without issue for tee or off the deck shots.

First test was on an indoor simulator, and on the tee it gave me crazy numbers - 250ish carry and 275 total, which in my driver territory and certainly about 10 more carry yards and tonnes more roll. I was even able to get similar numbers when hitting off the artifical mats.... so I thought to myself this may be a keeper!

Took it to the golf course the following weekend, and started on the range to verify its performance. Started on the tee (on real grass) and I hit nothing but low hooks. All of a sudden the face looked very closed to me when it looked square to open before. So i positioned the ball more in the center and tried again and was only able to hit one solid out of every 3 to 4 shots.... I didn't even bother to try it off the deck. The club did not get any action during the round - just too scary to game!

My normal setup with a 3 wood is to play the ball about 2 balls forward of center (i am a sweeper). I'm wondering if I need to do anything different to make this club work?

I'll give it an other try, maybe choke down on it and play it more like hybrid/long iron and see if it will improve the result, but I'm curious to know whether it's this particular club or me because I am usually pretty reliable with a 3 wood off the tee or off the deck.

Any suggestions welcomed!

My 3 Wood Swings

https://youtu.be/pL9IqBDsAyE(3/4 side view)

https://youtu.be/zu-ib8tN4TE(DTL view)

Lot of variables here, at first I thought lie angle? then I saw your DTL video and it doesn't look like it.

Could be the shaft or that you need to give it more time.

When Gen Egg spoon is this?

All I can say is that it tooks me 4 shafts and some times at my cm , but for sure now this one is a keeper for me , and really forgiving

I think the shallow head can take some adjusting to. I've had a similar struggle in ball placement at addres, tee height, release point. Working through a Ryoma F2 and 13* first gen egg.

Like another poster said tho with the right shaft its bombs away. Be careful with tee height also. It's easy to swing free and easy demoing a shops head, but when it's your own investment, fear of skymarks can mess with a swing. Good luck

I didn't consider this version very shallow or at least not as shallow as the Egg 2. I thought this one was too deep and difficult to hit consistently but I do know of quite a few others that loved it.

I have had this as well but traded it.. I can say it is a love or hate with this club..

Read rave reviews too when I took the plunge and tried hard to make it work, but it just doesn't do it for me..

Kept topping it as its seems that the head is a bit too light for me.. But when I do hit it pure, it's like a LBM that keeps going and going..

Gaming a S-yard 3W with a jBeam RX-FW 15* as back-up, and it works like a dream..

Good luck, mate.. Hope it works out well for you..

The Egg is quite a light head, with a very shallow insert depth.

The shallow depth isn't good for tip active shafts.

I couldn't hit the thing either until I added a bit of lead tape to bring up the SW and shafted it with a Whiteboard. Thing is a rocket launcher now.

Edited by hardboiled

good heavens never encoutered this with mine, ever..,

this is NOT shallow at all , the face is very high.

if u changed the shaft out i presume , then ud prob need to get it reblanced as its super light weight head.

that may be the reason. bec it certianly doesnt do that for me with t he diamana thump 65s and matrix 83s gram, cant get to more divesre shafts that those and both of these make this thing an absolute cannon, the 16.5 is closed, but h the 15* is square.

give ti moretime, when u get it wired a really big smile will appear on yr face for a long time

He said "shallow insert", not shallow face height. A shallow insert does the opposite of tip trimming. Shaft will play less stiff. That can be easily negated with more tip trimming. Sometimes lead tip weights will be used and the bottom piece of the tip weight gets left epoxied to the bottom of the hosel after the shaft pull if the lead tip weight breaks when trying to remove it.

Edited by donnieu

The Egg is quite a light head, with a very shallow insert depth.

The shallow depth isn't good for tip active shafts.

I couldn't hit the thing either until I added a bit of lead tape to bring up the SW and shafted it with a Whiteboard. Thing is a rocket launcher now.

Very good point on the shallow insert depth its aboit a quarter inch less like an iron insertion depth.

I'll add some lead tape to try. If not I'll tip a quarter inch when reshaft. It's playing 43 now and I've had success with 42.75 length before.

good heavens never encoutered this with mine, ever..,

this is NOT shallow at all , the face is very high.

if u changed the shaft out i presume , then ud prob need to get it reblanced as its super light weight head.

that may be the reason. bec it certianly doesnt do that for me with t he diamana thump 65s and matrix 83s gram, cant get to more divesre shafts that those and both of these make this thing an absolute cannon, the 16.5 is closed, but h the 15* is square.

give ti moretime, when u get it wired a really big smile will appear on yr face for a long time

Good to know the 15 is square. That will take my mind off it and just trust the set up a bit more.

I'll definately give it more time.

Good points listed but one other to consider IMO, this is very much a mini driver, more so than a true FW.

Off the tee set up the same as the driver with the tee obviously teed lower. From fairway set up as if you are

trying to hit driver off the fairway....

Find a used quadra FE driver shaft and butt cut down to playing length.

Good points listed but one other to consider IMO, this is very much a mini driver, more so than a true FW.

Off the tee set up the same as the driver with the tee obviously teed lower. From fairway set up as if you are

that is very true also, a big divergence from the original which is purely a FW.

oh thats what u can play both 15* and be guaranteed of huge distance.

fire express 75xs is in my 16.5*, ud have to shoot me to get that out of my bag

Noted and will try this setup! Thanks

Sometimes I get the impression that Asian golfers are all very tall with short arms; what's with the upright metalwood lie angles?

I honestly don't understand it.

Just for fun, check out the lie angles on original Titleist PT metals. If I recall, they range from 54 to 56°. It's just my opinion, but I believe that they were the best metalwoods ever made, and that was a quarter-century ago. I find it amazing how golf club manufacturers can come up with interesting new technology and then screw it up by getting the simple metrics wrong. Those PRGR egg fairway woods are a perfect example.

Problem solved!

It's the shaft... in fact all my wood shafts were too light for my swing. I was stupid to experiment this season with a 60g-70g-80g (D / 3w / 3h) stiff shafts thinking I could get a bit more distance but that didn't work out for me. Any gained distance were all to the left!

Swapped everything back to 70g-80g-95g this past weekend with x-stiff shafts and just swing and I hit nothing but straight shots with a couple misses ones blocked 15-20 yards to the right (still playable).

Getting some confidence back in my woods, now just step up and swing at it, as opposed to being scared of hitting it...

PRGR EGG 3W 15* with vs Proto 80x

https://youtu.be/VY7ovZL3elU

Fourteen SF714 3W 15* with Kai'li Ion 80x

https://youtu.be/F0UXdrtgzk8

Based on the limited shots with both 3 woods (I was so happy my driver was working again so i used it more), the EGG is more of a driver replacement than par-5 2nd shot club. It rolls alot (great for tee shots) but I can't imaging how it can hold the green with that trajectory...

The rest of my round can be seen here....

http://mygolfingdiary.blogspot.com/2015/09/ridge-of-manitou.html

Edited by neova