Yamada IPT putter restoration / anybody had one done?

nobmontana

Currently working with Chris on some putter head refinishes that I wanted to do for a long time.

I also have a Yamada IPT Ibushi that needs some restoring work but due to the use of an insert and silicone pad behind it, it has to be done by someone who can take the head apart, possibly like Gold's .

And maybe that is my only solution I have but wanted to find out if anyone on this forum has done an IPT restore/refinish in the past.

Just for the heck of it, I actually emailed Yamada putters thru their website yesterday to ask whether they provide restoration work for their putters.

I was really careful with my choice of words since I knew from my previous experience he is your typical stubborn Japanese craftsman type. These craftsmen will not entertain anything that is outside of their normal best practice. They know what's best and that's how they work, period! Flexibility? what flexibility? :)

Anyway, within hours, got a response, I believe, from Yamada-san himself.

Response went like this ( literally translated ) :

- Will not do

- Parts no longer available and no time to do

interestingly, I am not surprised or upset at all..... I guess that is what I expected :)

One thing that does impress me is that he does respond to email very quickly!

Got a good chuckle from this experience and so I wanted to share!

Nob,

I also had a Yamada IPT that I wanted to restore, but decided to sell it since the resources required and time taken would be rather large as well.

I did inquire with Chris before I sold it, and pricing wasn't too big for a plain restoration though.

I think Kari from Lajosi also does refurb/restors as well, if that is what you are only looking for.

But full on customs, believe nobody does it best than Gold's.

Agree with you, nob, he is a character. But worth it. In fact, worth his weight in putters! <g>

only send it to golds... kari cant do this putter, i had one done and it was an utter disaster.

his work on everything lese was/is exemplary , but this one for the kind of metal it is doesnt work

yamada san is a cantankerous craftsman, he wont do refurbs under any condition i tihink, lord knows ive tried, ive been working with him for 12 yrs.

but after alongggglonggtime

i got this the other week............,

better than new.

• 2 weeks later...

very nice! I am working with Chris now on a refinish/mod plan at GF.

we'll see how it comes out.

Can someone tell me what IPT stans for? Thanks.

only send it to golds... kari cant do this putter, i had one done and it was an utter disaster.

his work on everything lese was/is exemplary , but this one for the kind of metal it is doesnt work

yamada san is a cantankerous craftsman, he wont do refurbs under any condition i tihink, lord knows ive tried, ive been working with him for 12 yrs.

but after alongggglonggtime

i got this the other week............,

better than new.

attachicon.gifzw.png

attachicon.gifzwz.png

attachicon.giferee.png

Like your Honma putter; that's a beauty as well.

Can someone tell me what IPT stans for? Thanks.

Industrial Putting Technology = One of Yamada's brands of putters.

If your on a budget and only want minimal tasks done like refinishing, removing dings, paint, spec adjustment, and assembly by far TSG Clubworks is the best option.

If you need the tedious modifications there is only golds factory for quality work. Yamada knows this and has told our clients to use Golds Factory because they will not do it.