How best to adjust the swing weight please?

Staxxx

I bought a shaft that is 46.5 inches long raw. It is 55 gms. I have a head that I would like to put on it and play it as a long driver at 46.5 inches just for a lark.....

The swing weight with a Golf Pride multi-compound grip works out to D8 with this set up, perhaps as the shaft is so light. I have never swung a club with that SW and wondered how different it feels to a D1.5 which I quite like.

There are very few choices here when it comes to grips, so that can be taken out of the equation. Therefore the choices are to cut the length down at the butt by 0.5 inch (I definitely don't want to go shorter) or/and add some butt weight.

How much will the SW change if I cut the club down half an inch please? Also will adding some butt weight change the playing characteristics of the shaft? How much weight will I have to add to get it down to D2 after cutting it down.....or perhaps even D4 if that is considered OK to play? I just don't know how to build this club.....

It has an infinity flex so cannot tip trim it in any way.

46.5" D8 ... Hmm sounds familiar... Oh! my Grandista / 7D is about that!

Have you tried it in its current form already? Does it feel too long and heavy?

If you want to get it down to D1.5 with a 46" length, you needed a much lighter head.

Got the below info from another site:

1/2" = 3 swing weight points
2 gr club head weight = 1 swing weight point
5 gr grip = 1 swing weight point
9 gr shaft weight differences = 1 swing weight point

In your case: D8 down to D2 ( for the sake of approximation )

Length: cut down 1" to get it to D2

or

Reduce the headweight by 12g ( weight adjustable on the head? )

or

Add 30g to the but end / grip

or

Reduce the shaft weight by 54g ... = a 1g shaft? that doesn't work. :)

So realistically, I think cutting down an inch or adding 30g to the grip are the two realistic options here.

Thank you. Are you able to comfortably swing with a D8 SW please? Does the whole club feel very heavy due to the SW (although I do understand that total weight may be relatively light) or does it help you feel/control the clubhead at that length?

Perhaps I should try it as and then the penultimate option may be to cut the club 0.5 inches and play it at a D5 and the last maybe to further add 10-15 gms to the butt and get it to D2 ish.....

I have no issues swinging my club.

But this preference may differ from person to person ....

OK. So I built it with the Ahina 60S and it turned out at D5. The length was 46 inches once completed. I tried to play it today and I would say the results were variable. The only way to get it to perform was to tee it high and launch it, which resulted in fairly good distance but no roll at all.

I think perhaps if I got the swingweight down I may get a little more distance, although I think I am not going to get it to launch lower and roll out. BTW the head is a Kamui Air KM-200.

I have two options, cut the club down 1/2 an inch and get 3 swingweights; or butt weight it (in effect counter balance the 60 gms shaft). Any difference if I choose either - any recommendations please? I am looking to make this my distance driver build.

Thanks!