Loft Spacings and the 14 club rule

NiftyNiblick

26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58º = nine clubs / room for five more

28, 33, 38, 43, 48, 53, 58º = seven clubs / room for seven more.

With my swing speed in my sixties, 4º increments were doing nothing but wasting space in my bag. I find it incredible that so few club makers are offering wider gap sets, or as in the case with the new Hogan Company, more loft choices overall.

On the domestic side, choices are dwindling fast. Spalding, MacGregor, Wilson. Walter Hagen, PowerBilt, Ram, Tommy Armour, Kroydon, Lynx, Wright-Ditson, Pederson, Nickent, First Flight, and so many others are either completely gone or seriously diminished. Adams and Cleveland are rumored to be on the ropes.

Cobra, TaylorMade, Callaway, Ping, and Titleist, along with Mizuno USA, have just about all of it now, and some of them appear to be shaky. That is why I was so excited to see Hogan trying a comeback with some fresh, new ideas.

I hope they make it.

finally, a post that I can agree with. It's not about traditional loft ...or strong loft....who cares...its about swing speed and distance gaps between clubs. For all you younguns' , you'll be old one day and need non-traditional lofts between clubs one day as the OP states..:)

• 3 weeks later...

Note that the same 4 degree of gap produces larger distance gap at lower lofted clubs. Why? Because the higher loft a club has the more kinetic energy of the head is translated into vertical movement ie higher launch and more spin.