OB: Great Forging / Knife Making Vid

I've got some hand forged knives from Japan that cost a pretty penny, only issue is they have no finish so they rust with ease and Im not hardcore enough to stone rub them before each use.

Rust does not bother me but would probably bother any visitors who were invited to dinner and saw them. It's really common in many kitchens of our poorer households and I spent a year in a beach house with only that one knife that never had a chance to develop more than a browning. I also visited with a friend who, in his own beach house, had a set of European knives that were probably sharp enough to shave with. That was some years ago but they were what we call satin finish except it was natural to the metal and such hard metal my friend told me he never needed to sharpen them, though we never made sushi which needs extreme sharp. Great cooks cherish a really sharp knife that is not worn out by excessive sharpening. The knives my friend had were, not sure, from Germany or some other European country, and cost an arm and a leg. Total beauties made like a French knife.

When I think about it, that guy probably mis spoke or I mis heard about his carbon content. It just sounds improbable. The mini forge that guy used was fabulous but probably ate a hefty amount of electricity.The electric hammer was also impressive. I'd say that guy's knives cost a lot to make and it would be a shame to spend that much for such little use because it would be consumed by excessive sharpening. For that result, you might as well buy something from the super market. Those are throw away knives that you never develop affection for. The Katana is more complicated than just the forging and the folding.

Shambles

Great video, however he skipped over the sharpening process.. Chris, hopefully you picked up sword oil, a ho wood cutting board, and jyo-saya edge guard with your knife purchase. If not try www.epicedge.com who carry quality JDM products AND will provide some of the best sharpening services available. Being local I picked up several Japanese knives which were excellent quality. But to personalize I had them thin and adjust the bolster and round the spine so I wouldn't get blisters on my index finger using the knife.