“Steel like graphite” or “ graphite like steel” irons shaft?

Calvin

Steel like graphite ( MCI, Rayon OT ) or Graphite like steel ( NS pro Zelos7,8, Pro 750 ) irons shaft ? How do you make your pick? Sometime light weight doesn't really bring me the extra yardage but few more strokes.Can we really have the length and control at the same time?

Mid weight graphite irons shafts are my choice now.

Used to play 130g steel shafts then went lighter steel 115g ... regained a few yards but lost a bit of control.

Then tried 95g OTI... good balance of control and distance. But just a bit too soft for me in 95 S

Then I recently got 100g Crazy STP and absolutely love it. Distance not quite as much as OTI but

dispersion is in a different class. Very tight. I actually might try the 85g STP next season.

Actually wanting to try Crazy CBI 80 shafts as well.

Edited by nobmontana

The new OT 95 and aerotech i95 are two of the greatest steel/ graphite shafts around....

With the new advances in shafts, this question becomes closer and closer to being unanswerable, IMO. I've played many of the composite shafts including my two favorites so far, the MCI's and the OTi's. I tend to favor lighter weights than most, so the composites are wonderful for me.

But recently I hit the new NSPro Modus3 105 and found it surprising in both smoothness and length. Usually the vibration of steel on the one or two shots off hard pan in a round will put me off steel for weeks. But with the feel of the Modus3, I decided to do an experiment. I'm putting it in the softest feeling heads I've ever hit -- OnOff 247 Coppers. And I'm putting MCI 80's in a set of Personal 2's I just picked up. Will report back, most likely several weeks from now.

I'm absolutely loving my Waccine GR-77 (85 gms) stiff shafts in my 303s. Good length and tight dispersion with a far better feel than the Recoil 680 F4 that I used to play. However, I do want to play the 105s very much too.....

I never got along with either Recoils or Steelfibres. For a feel player, the MCI's and OTi's run laps around them, IMO, in all weights.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Does it matter of what type of irons are using? Maybe like player type irons should go for the graphite rather than the steel? BTW, I've heard lots of great thing about OT but how about the Kuro Kage iron shaft? Have anyone tried these?

MCI's - Awesome. What are OTI's?

Mitsubishi's version of MCI-like composite. Ultra-smooth and long. Maybe a touch more weighty in feel. Also just a fabulous shaft.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly different spin to your question, but I've tried 120 to 125 gram Recoil Shafts against traditional steel shafts in that weight.

Peformance wise, these "steel like" graphite does provide the same performance as the steel counterparts, but the feel is more muted. You can also feel more of the head with the graphite shafts than steel.

Difference? Price. a set of 3-PW Recoils is 4 to 5 times more than steel. Plus I do my on club making, so pulling steel is a lot faster and easier than graphite (very easy to over heat and ruiln tips)..

• 2 weeks later...

2015 and people still using steel amazes me, I've had people ask me why I play graphite and I then let them hit my irons and most just have this look and usually say that feels so smooth.

Matrix Programs in my Adams - very smooth and better than any steel.

Aerotech Steelfibers in my Yamaha Impres XV forged - not as smooth as the Programs but very nice.

Yonex Tour irons - old set with Yonex shafts and these are the smoothest shaft I've ever hit.