It's time for my next car so I've been taking a bit of time off from golf and doing some car shopping. Unfortunately instead of narrowing down my choice, I'm adding to my list and now I really can't decide. If Audi would pull their head out of their ass and import the RS6 Avant to North America I'd not be in this situation. Idiots!!

I don't buy new because I love modding and would hate to kill the warranty on a brand new car. Now that the '14s are coming off lease, I'm starting to see some inventory to choose from. Right now my thoughts are this. I love the performance and interior of the Audi RS7 but I'm not digging the exterior at all. I'm a big fan of the E63 and still own two AMGs but I hate that Mercedes is making all their cars look alike now. As I started to shop I really thought I was settling into another Benz because I know how to make them go fast...until I took a closer look at BMW. Their new M6 Gran Coupe is effing sexy!! I've always felt a rivalry with the M guys and spanked them at every level and every event. They hated me for years so I have a weird irrational loathing for BMW...but that car is special.

Anyways, let's hear your thoughts...

55C95191-4847-48FF-86B3-330E6E295A8B_zps

9A8F0290-8D17-4F68-8C28-CA2040D71E36_zps

FF963CB7-ED20-4DBC-82E7-A481DC2288A8_zps

I'm a BMW guy primarily but I also like Audi and Mercedes. In this case I'd go 2014 M6 all the way. I like the interior of the Merc more but overall styling and performance M6. And btw, I don't know what you do for a living but feel free to hire me!

Looks wise, M6 for me.

Big fan of the Audi RS lines

I actually like the sleek line of the RS7..A much more unique look too. Unmistakable.

Otherwise, how about a CLS AMG Shooting Break? Beats the RS6 avant for looks I think. Interior is nice too

Edited by Vegaman

Thanks for the input guys!

The M3 is too small for what I'm looking for. I couldn't even get one staff bag in that trunk not to mention a couple of buddies bags. But the 3 can definitely be made to perform.

I've seen a Shooting Brake in person and it was very cool but I still like the Avant better. And I've had such a love hate relationship with the regular CLS that I've decided to quit looking at them. When the first CLS came out in standard trim I thought it was the ugliest thing on the planet. Then I saw it in AMG form and fell in love. Then when the new body style came out I was let down again. I appreciate the AMG version but it just doesn't grab me anymore. And if I'm going to do a "4 door coupe" (as they're now called) BMW just killed it with the M6. I think that's by far the best looking car of the bunch! I just don't know that drive train well or where to start when it comes to modding.

I really wish I could get myself to fall in love with the Audi. They're easily the best performer, the easiest to make go fast(er), it has the nicest looking interior, and it's the most exclusive of the bunch...but I just don't get excited when I walk up to one.

Feel you on the RS6 Avant, Mikey, have never understood why they didn't make even a limited number available as they'd sell like hotcakes! Love me Audi's and miss my RS4 dearly but I'm not the biggest fan of the RS7 exterior either. Audi's have the overall best interior, but i like the seats of a merc and the shift of a bimmer.

I'd sit tight for a little bit longer and wait for something that really grabs you all around. Sitting on 2 AMG's is a good problem to have so I'm sure you cruise around town just fine ;)

Porsche, Maserati, NSX or classic Ferrari doesn't do it for you??

Edited by needmoregolf

I love true sports cars but I'd just be frustrated here in the Phoenix area. I have to drive two hours just to find a corner around here (not kidding)! And if I really want to get aggressive in the corners I'll get out on the bike. So my niche is a midsized car that handles decent, can carry all my buddies and their clubs to the golf course, a comfortable daily driver, but can spank anything short of 1000hp in a straight line.

go get an E63 AMG wagon and call it a day! Torque monster with the best vocal chords you can find in a vehicle that can hold everyone's bag and will pretty much give anything a run for its money in a straight line ? *mic drop*

White M6 grandcoupe is visually my pref. out of what you have listed.

New E class is on the horizon and an E63 wagon would be my top choice IF out now.

Personally Mercedes interiors are more intuitive and higher quality imo while BMW's have some things that make less sense, BMW you can get into custom coding certain options but you want to pay someone to do that for you.

I'm irritated with BMW's functions but enjoy the way they handle. I like merc for fit/finish/functions. both are not the most reliable but these types of buyers trade up frequently.

Fastest = Tesla P90D although the ride sucks the screen is nice and it's overplayed big time.

Not the best choices in this segment right now, Porsche has a shooting brake on the horizon as well as a Panny update.

Good input Chris, thanks.

I love the E63 wagon but it still doesn't look anywhere near as good as the Audi. I do disagree that Tesla is the fastest. It may be the quickest through the 1/8 mile compared to stock vehicles (which mine won't be for long) but even stock vehicles in this category will start to walk away at higher speeds. And not being able to drive to Vegas on a last minute whim on a Friday night is a deal killer. Now if I was a real doctor and could afford to fill the garage with several high end cars, the Tesla would be a no brainer, it's a pretty cool car! By the time any turbo Porsche gets optioned the way I'd want it, it's priced well out of my budget. Otherwise it would definitely be in the mix.

Yes Porsche is a killer on options. Sounds like you know what you want, Audi right? very nice car.

Was not aware the Tesla was a slug mid to top end.

It's been years ago but Cadillac was a favorite for road trips. I understand there is a sub 4 second 1-60 sedan out that could be fun.

The Caddy CTS-V is a serious performance sedan and a great choice for the money but it just doesn't compare when it comes to interior or build quality.

Sad but true. There was a time when American cars weren't so disposable. You could always abuse the hell out of it and turn it in in a few years. Ha!

Hmmm, how's about Alfa Romero Giulia Quadrifoglio 510hp sedan?

Edited by cuistot

Now this will be easy topot in the lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got a deposit down on a Quadrifoglio it arrives 2nd qtr next year, I went with white and the carbon package inside with carbon seats.

They say your not a petrol head till you have owned an Alpha.

Nice!

Edited by hutchy

VERY nice...and you're certainly not helping narrow down the decision! Now I gotta see what this Alfa Romeo is all about!

Been checking this one out and it seems it's more in line with the C class rather than a midsized sedan. That's a deal breaker :(