MOI Matching!!! many of you are missing out on this technology

Aston55

Overdose - there are several different ways to build an MOI set. One of the factors is if you are going to use new uncut shafts or reuse the existing shafts.

I'm going to assume that you want to reuse your shafts. If so, here is my recommendation. Its likely that the MOI of your 7, 8, and 9 are similar. If you like them just the same, just get the average and that will be your target MOI.

For the shorter clubs, you will need to add headweight. Unfortunately you will have to use lead tape here to get an exact MOI number for the shorter clubs. If you had new shafts, you can cut them a bit longer to achieve the MOI match. You can use lead weights, but its really hard to be precise since the shafts are precut. I highly recommend that you just use lead tape instead.

For the longer clubs, you will need to pull the grips and cut them to match the correct MOI. My recommendation is to cut little by little so you get a sense of how much the MOI drops based on the cut you make. so try to cut 1/16 or 1/8 at a time until you get a good feel for it. I highly recommend an elec saw not the manual pipe cutters. The manual pipe cutters are not that precise and can ruin the process. Measuring the MOI after each cut can be done in two ways. You can cut a used grip, put it back on (without tape) and check MOI since grip tape hardly changes the MOI (only sw). Or what I like to do is measure the difference between having a grip and not. In my case I can measure the MOI without the grip and know that adding a grip would add 35 MOI to my club.

So to summarize, in the end your longer clubs will no longer be .5 inch increments. They will be more likely 3/8 increments (approximately)

Thanks and that's what I have figured out to do myself after some research. The only problem with the above approach when using a 8 or 9iron as the base club is that it will be very difficult to achieve a matching MOI for long clubs without cutting a lot of shaft and you do not want those clubs to be way too short. I chose 7 iron and then match 6, 5 and 4 with it by trimming the butts of those shafts. Matching MOI with the 8, 9 and P with the 7 is a lot easier because all you need to do is add lead tape.

If you cut the shaft too much in order to achieve the matching MOI, it won't play as long. If you have an existing set and want to rebuild it matching your 9 iron MOI, you will have a tough time achieving the result as you can't reduce the weight of your long irons to match without cutting shafts. You might end up with a 4 iron as long as 6 or even 7 iron. That's why I think the best "favorite club" is the 7 iron.

That is not true. If you cut your long irons to match the 7 iron without any weights you will have no loss in distance. In fact you probably will get more distance as you will find the center of the face more often. I've built enough sets to know. If you prefer the half inch increments yes you will need to alter the headweight or start by building your long irons to a certain moi and add weight as you go down to shorter irons.

That is why I said from the beginning that the set will be approximately 3/8 increments instead of 1/2 inch. This is the easiest way to go about it.

Forgot to mention that the loft of the heads do not change. It's the loft that will provide the distance and the shorter long irons help achieve a more consistent shot to the center of the face.

• 1 year later...

@Aston55 are you still gaming MOI?

I called a builder today and I might get mine fixed... I will let him use my 5 iron as my starting club then he'll add weight to the rest of the clubs using tipweights.. 

I did this process myself on my old Epon 501's and my Tourstage 705-m but just estimated myself.. The clubfitter got a moi-machine and I will be paying 150 dollars or so for this.. 

Anyone else tried?