Smoked Copper review

RLL33

Ok, all copper heads, you know (some) of the adventures -- some would say obsession -- I have with copper on irons, but I feel like I have to put in a new word on the TSG Works Smoked Copper refinish.

I started gaming A-Grind wedges earlier this year, and really fell hard for Ako-san's 56-onset. Something about it really clicked for my game. I was giving myself way better looks at 1-putts on all kinds of greens, it was magic out of sand, great on approaches high and low and from varying distances, and it quickly grew so useful that I was able to free up a space in my bag by taking out my gap wedge. You get the drift -- loved the club and it replaced Miuras, OnOff, Yururi, etc. in my bag of tricks.

I was also really thrilled with the way TSG turned a set of P2's into copper satin for me, but I kept looking at the brushed silver A-Grind in the corner of my bag by itself. Beautiful but lonely... Then I saw a picture Ash posted of what he had Chris do on a set of Crazy wedges with the smoked copper refinish, so I figured why not, I'd give that a shot, too.

It came back to me before Thanksgiving.

post-15743-0-11330100-1449174979_thumb.j

So I popped out to the range over the weekend and took a bunch of my other wedges with it to do the test I always start wedges out with. And, oh my, as I told Chris, it was love at first hit. The ball jumped off the face high and straight and zipping with spin.

post-15743-0-79541800-1449174999_thumb.j

Another hit. Same thing. I immediately put everything else aside and tried to figure out how to describe the feel. It's unbelievably soft, and as Chris says, it has an almost sticky feeling to it. It made the copper satin finish actually feel rough to me.

Some more hits.

Stop chips quickly? Check.

Hit a high and a low one at the 50-yd barrel? Check.

Full swing to see how far I could go with control? Check -- out to about 80 yards for me. Oddly easy to get distance. What's going on here? was my thought...

This finish is unique. Big winner for me in looks and feel. And I've seen and played a lot of copper. I took it out on the course this week to confirm and actually holed out from off the green once and came close a second time.

Bottom line, I'm in love. Feel like I did when I hit my first Miura. Can't wait for the next shot with it.

And... I am going in full tilt and refinishing a full set of A-Grind MB's that Stew was kind enough to let me take off his hands in that inventory sale recently. Full A-Grind bag in smoked copper for me. Looks to be a fine Xmas/NY season this year courtesy of Chris and The TSGWorks boyz with their smoked copper masterpiece!

post-15743-0-73208000-1449175013_thumb.j

post-15743-0-52709600-1449175030_thumb.j

;=]

That's awesome R, great to hear and also agree the smoked copper is a very nice looking finish and while I cannot attest to the finish's ability to help with performance, I will say my copper crazy proto wedges have supplanted themselves in my bag! I've been loving these things and don't mind the finish wear as it looks good with age, and I'm giving these things some serious lie condition opportunities. Happy to say I hit my first one hop slam dunk on a green-side chip this season with my 58*, and have been having all-around good short game with the puppies :)

Here's a shot from maybe 2 months ago with some initial wear, and will try and get a more recent pic as its def worn in more with he wet grass I've been playing in lately.

post-16640-0-81048500-1449175793_thumb.jpost-16640-0-28951700-1449175925_thumb.j

Edited by needmoregolf

Beauties, D.! And I look forward to seeing how they wear, too. The more, the better from my POV.

Be still my heart... the Grinder looks all stealth and business like. Very good idea, Wonder what the club would look like with a Monaco shaft? Oh yeah and leather grip.. Congratulations on your new baby.

Edited by cuistot

This has been my absolute favorite finish as soon as Chris introduced it. I cannot wait to have him do a set for me. It's gotta be something special though!!!

Be still my heart... the Grinder looks all stealth and business like. Very good idea, Wonder what the club would look like with a Monaco shaft? Oh yeah and leather grip.. Congratulations on your new baby.

I'm putting the OTi shaft in the full set. I've come to enjoy its smoothness. Plays a full club longer for me, too. (And it's quite beautiful in hand.)

Richard, seeing your addiction with copper...makes me want a set. the a-grind copper wedges look sweet. Great review, looking forward to your A-grind irons in smoked copper!!

Thanks, Brad, will post when I get them back.

This has been my absolute favorite finish as soon as Chris introduced it. I cannot wait to have him do a set for me. It's gotta be something special though!!!

Know you've got some nice sets to choose from, Mikey... <g>

I have a copper fetish as well. I like the smoked copper the best. I am trying to decide whether to do it to my old titleist blades, or a set of Cobra S3 pros I just got. If I send a set to get refinished, do you remove the shafts before sending?

I am curious how the smoked coppers will look in the Epon P2's, I'm so tempted....

There are 2 sets of P2's in the works right now, I hope the owners post them up when they receive them new then later after 3 months or so of play.

There are 2 sets of P2's in the works right now, I hope the owners post them up when they receive them new then later after 3 months or so of play.

Definitely cant wait, hopefully they do post pics. Thanks for the info...Im pretty sure other TSGers will be excited.

+3 on that. Would love to see those pics!

I'll be updating pics of both the satin P2's and the smoked A-Grinds. So far, a couple months in on the satin P2's playing them 3 times a week, there is very little wear or even patina. They've even been out in the rain once or twice.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updated pictures?

Haven't gotten the A-Grinds back yet. Will shoot the P2's next time they come out of the bag.

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't help myself. Had my new S Yard Bold wedges copper plated...no sure whether I should paint fill them.

I couldn't help myself. Had my new S Yard Bold wedges copper plated...no sure whether I should paint fill them.

post-14958-0-91381400-1453802708_thumb.j

post-14958-0-78351400-1453802757_thumb.j

post-14958-0-16231400-1453802798_thumb.j

post-14958-0-23881600-1453803019_thumb.j

Done in Singapore. Apparently first coat was nickel, then copper copper. I ask them what type of copper finish this is. It's about 35 microns..any thicker and the copper risk cracking.

Pity but the mini grooves that were on the face got filled in by the copper. However, they didn't last long when in normal use anyways