New OT75 and OT105 Shafts Coming by Mitsubishi

TourSpecGolfer

Thanks for your advice @nobmontana.

Light weight shouldn't be a problem for me. The Orochi shaft weights only 65g and my heaviest ones are sub 100g so 85g should be fine. What confuses me now is that I read in the online store that there is a SR-Flex model I didn't see on the Mitsubishi Rayon webpage. Is the difference between R- and S-Flex so large that they needed an in between flex?

Looks like SR flex is a Japan only offering.

http://mitsubishirayongolf.com/product.php?cmd=ot〈=jp

Not sure how much R and S differs.

in my experience with tons of different models of graphite and dual composite iron shafts lighter can "feel" softer in flex. That can be a problem because more often than not (Steelfibers in particular) graphite iron shafts actually play stiff to flex. When iron shafts are too stiff forgiveness and consistency suffer and most confuse what's actually happening and think these shafts are too soft or whippie. It can be very misleading when you venture down this course with lighter "overall" club weights. I first experienced this phenomenon with a set of Recoils I thought man these things are soft when in reality they where extremely stable. Some compound this mistake and actually going up in shaft weight hence stiffing them even more! My experience once a graphite shaft weighs in over 100gr's it becomes very dull or even downright harsh. Once you figure it out however the rewards are amazing, I'm enjoying wonderful balance between feel and control all while benefiting from far less trauma to my joints. I've found my sweet spot is 95gr models but it did take some adjusting to the overall feel of less total club weight. Hope this makes sense...BB

Edited by BigBen

I've a question about the flex rating. I would like to try the OTi 85 but don't know if I should take R- or S-Flex. My driver SS is 100 - 105mph after a few warm up swings; on a bad day it goes down to 97mph. So I should take S-Flex. But I experienced with other shafts (recoil proto 95, steelfiber i80, standard Mizuno / Fuji Orochi in 825pro) that the R-Flex model is stiff enough. At the same time I play some S-Flex shafts (recoil 670, FST Pro115) and they don't feel boardy or harsh by any means. The very light Zelos 7 in R-Flex feels a little bit too whippy but not like a 850gh which is too soft for my feelings.

I don't have the opportunity to get some demo clubs with both flexes so I have to buy my own demo shaft / club. Do you think the R-Flex would be a good choice or is the bend profile too weak and I should get the S-Flex which would be the flex rating for my driver SS?

Thanks!

Unless you have a super-smooth transition and a even tempo swing I'd say that with a SS of up to 105 the oti85 sounds extremely soft in even Stiff flex. I'm thinking at least the 95 version in stiff. Unless the OTIs are unusually stiff to flex?

in my experience with tons of different models of graphite and dual composite iron shafts lighter can "feel" softer in flex. That can be a problem because more often than not (Steelfibers in particular) graphite iron shafts actually play stiff to flex. When iron shafts are too stiff forgiveness and consistency suffer and most confuse what's actually happening and think these shafts are too soft or whippie. ...

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. If it's a smooth feeling shaft it can lead you to a too stiff shaft. The steelfibers are pretty tip stiff but I like their feeling on good hits - misses are ok. The recoil 670 is more friendly on misses.

Unless you have a super-smooth transition and a even tempo swing I'd say that with a SS of up to 105 the oti85 sounds extremely soft in even Stiff flex. I'm thinking at least the 95 version in stiff. Unless the OTIs are unusually stiff to flex?

I'm more a swinger than a hitter but there is some force in the transition. I would like to go down to mid 80s grams just because it's easier to handle for a full round. My swing doesn't react bad with the light weight shafts.

As I wrote in my initial post I guess there no other way than getting my own demo iron(s) with these shaft(s).

Thanks for all answers. It still would be interesting how one would rate the tip stiffness - more like stellfiber or significantly weaker.

FWIW, I do think the only way to know is to try them, but from what I read between your lines, your feel preference is similar to mine. I've gone toward lighter as, for me, it suits my smooth tempo and allows ME to hold up better over the course of a long round, as you mention. Light does not equate with whippy for me either. The OTi in 85 R-flex may not be PC among all golfers, but as I said in an earlier post, its smoothness, length, and tight dispersion has totally won me over. It def feels more tip stiff than Steelfibre. In fact feels more solid and heavier even when it isn't. I'm putting it in all my irons at the moment. Will be posting some NY bag pics soon. Give it a shot. I'd look forward to your reaction. Good luck.

I received my set of OTi 95s today and now I am just trying to decide how to install them, straight in or tipping them to play slightly firmer than flex. My SS is about 105 and I am more of a hitter with a quick transition.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Do not install them straight in. Follow the tipping guide and it you want to soft step or hard step, take 1/2" less or more to achieve stepping. The shafts all come in one length so just butt trimming to lenght wouldnt work and you would ruin the set. For those not sure about flex, you can order just one or two shafts to try instead of whole set.

Do not install them straight in. Follow the tipping guide and it you want to soft step or hard step, take 1/2" less or more to achieve stepping. The shafts all come in one length so just butt trimming to lenght wouldnt work and you would ruin the set. For those not sure about flex, you can order just one or two shafts to try instead of whole set.

When we order the length specific they come cut, if we just say 8pcs they come uncut.

I don't think this shaft has enough parallel section to allow for hard stepping on the pw to sw.

read my previous post.

OTI comes in one length only.

Standard tipping instructions can be found here: http://www.mitsubishirayongolf.com/catalog/jp/oti/files/assets/basic-html/page9.html

For PW thru SW, it says to tip cut 3.5 inches and because the parallel section only goes 120mm ( 4.72 inch )

even with the standrard tipping, you will only be left with 1.22 inches of insertion section after cutting it 3.5" ( 4.72 - 3.5 = 1.22" )

This might be a good question to ask MRC if you can tip additional for a stiffer install.

One more thing I noticed last week.

Be careful when handling the stripped tip section as splintered fiber can be exposed due to the braided fiber construction.