why the light shafts?

supo

Have I been on Mars for a while or is everyone playongsuperlight shafts now.

Seems everything released is sub110 gram.

Every time I swing these shafts I come outta my shoes. And misstime everything

Why?. Is this the latest.fad or something????

Edited by supo67

Lighter shafts supposedly give better feel for the clubhead. But need to add more weight to the head to get same swingweight. I built a set of irons with the old silver/black Rifle 80 gram graphite shafts using some heads with an undercut cavity in back. I put a 12 gram strip of lead in the undercut cavity using 1/8 inch plyable lead. Produced a very high MOI. Great feel for the clubhead also. D5 swingweight. Will use those when I break 65 (age).

Edited by donnieu

Have I been on Mars for a while or is everyone playongsuperlight shafts now.

Seems everything released is sub110 gram.

Every time I swing these shafts I come outta my shoes. And misstime everything

Why?. Is this the latest.fad or something????

You are in the minority when it comes to power, size, and strength part of the 1% or less that can bomb it 300yds. I would fully expect you to lose it with a light shaft.

There is nothing high tech or difficult to make a good heavy shaft while it's super hard to make a light weight shaft that plays accurate and long. Just like in racing it's not easy to cut weight and maintain strength so advancements are seen headed this direction, as for heavy shaft advancements, they have already happened again not hard to make a stable heavy shaft if weight is not a concern.

Gotcha... I say this bec iwas testign a set of buchis the day dya withns950s in them and i ahd my usual clubs , i wasthinning these like no tomorrow , ididnt with my usual set of honmas which wss driving me insane

I eneded up passingthese up bec of the lack of consistancy , granted the ones i managed topure were off the charts, but the y were few .

I dont got a fast swing im pretty methodical and slow but the litghter shafts just give me zero timing .

Ieven noticed it with my ns stx which are the protos for the modus105s.

Just cant get them timed well enough.

Which is a major pain bec my maadas are shafted withthtem and i porb have to swap them out.

Besides the aerotechs is there another graph shaft that has some weight init loke 115 plus?

Recoil 125g, Quadra fex DGL 120g, Attas Tour 120g, GD Tour Ad 115g, Fuji Rombax 115g. Bound to be more Stu.

Edited by Ian-500

New to the lightweight Iron shafts myself.

I have settled with two graphite shafts I like and can still maintain control.

Crazy STP Protos in 100g is very stable and feels solid and not hollow like alot of previous generation graphite iron shafts.

I think they even come in 115g which is supposedly X flex. 100g is more or less SX flex.

Have them currently in my Mizzy MP62s.

Also in the process of replacing Mitsubishi OTi 95 with Crazy CBI-80 ( 104g raw ) in my Buchi VS200.

Really stoked to put these irons in my bag for next season!

Edited by nobmontana

I'm getting a setnof the buchi mt202s next season as an alternate to the idbls was thinking of getting kinda graphite funky but I can see the point now so I'll stick to the modus125s or 130s .

If it ain't broke.......

Stew the Quadra DGL 115's are a nice graphite shaft in the range you are looking for.

I have tried a lot of graphite iron shafts, and right now, i am really loving the Accra Tour shafts. I was fitted into the 90 gram model, which is light for me, but i have gotten used to it. This is a very solid feeling shaft, and has really helped improve my dispersion. They have a 100 and 110 gram model, I think. I highly recommend them.

Edited by Mob

​OTi 's cause your gona wana to go back to steel shafts anyway.

Should have mentioned I have a selfish interest in your review of the above... ; )

I am the poster child for lightweight shafts. 63, ss on a good day in the mid 90's. I have been recommended and played all the usual suspects - steelfiber, recoil, AD tour, etc in th 80-95 range. I bought a set of 95G MCI recently. Nice shafts, to be sure. I also bought a set of buchi irons used with kbs tour-v 110 s shafts. I presumed these would not work with me. But I did a test run with the 8 iron in the MCI and left the KBS in the rest of the bag.

I have reached the conclusion that a club - how it looks, feels, sounds - creates a subtle expectation in me. The lighter shaft creates a thought 'hit it far.' The heavier one 'hit it close.' I have a much greater sense of control over the ball with the KBS. And I hit the ball very solidly, but mainly, I hit it much closer and with the shape I want than I can recall in any of the lighter shafts.

I am not ditching the MCI... I keep thinking surely I am deluded, but so far, I am totally in love with this too stiff, too heavy shaft.