Welcome to Japanese Golf Clubs at Golf To Impress

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

sgjt4me

PXG Parson Extreme Golf

166 posts in this topic

I have a fitting with Modern Golf in Toronto. who is the only Fitter authorized for PXG in Canada. I'm going in for a driver fitting but will ask to hit the PXG iron. Assuming their test club with be a 6 iron (27* @ 37 5/8"), I'll bring my both my Honma TW171M and Fourteen TC930 5-iron (27* @ 38") with PX 6.0 and choke down 1/2" to compare.

If anyone has $12,500 to spare, they can get the clubs and a few rounds of golf at Bob's exclusive golf club =)

https://www.pxg.com/pxg-experience

I hit the UD+2 "7-iron" which is 5-iron lofted (well they did advertise you'd hit two clubs longer) but it was so much easier to hit the UD+2 than any of my 5-irons. Nice and high trajector like a 7 with carry distance of a 5....

At some point in the future I'll get the UD+2 5 iron to replace my 3-iron....

If you are getting fit at the Markham location (Golf Lounge), just ask Jeff to hit his set of PXG. ;)

Broke down and Ordered a single iron to give it a go. Will be here next week and hope the weather will be good enough to give it a test run.

there is also a fitting place near Vancouver according to the website - so 2 options. And I notice the PXG irons received a very good mark for feel by one of the better youtube test guys in UK. I will be testing them during the summer in Canada.

Ok, well, fresh off the course. Granted, I have not given the T-MBs or PXGs rounds and rounds of work and I don't have launch stats for those on other sites that love ball speed, spin, launch angle, etc measurements. For me, I keep it simple: distance, forgiveness, feel and maybe height & dispersion).

T-MBs (4-PW) with 130 stiff; PXG 0311t (TOUR ones, not the standard ones - I believe this will make a difference) with 130 stiff.

For me, I typically carry my driver (good, nice weather day) - 245-255 (cold weather day, 230-240 - with no roll on a 7066 yard course that is wet, argh - but I digress).

tldr:

- The T-MBs are longer than the PXG tour irons by maybe a half club to max a full club.

- The T-MBs have a thinner topline and thinner sole. They seem to resemble an MB more than the PXG.

- The PXGs have better feel hands down

- Forgiveness is similar

- I was getting higher ballflight from the PXGs

- I was getting better dispersion from the PXGs (tighter shots)

Bottom line for me:

I am a feel guy 100%. If I get great results but don't like the feel of something (or looks), it won't work long-term (I don't care how great a TM RocketSpaceBallz with Lightsaber shafts give me an extra 3 yards carry on a 8i, if the feel isn't there, I won't game it.

If all I ever hit was USDM gear and I was coming from something from that world to the PXGs, the hype would be 100% worth it. They are great irons, hands down. They perform. They are not the longest (I think the normal PXG irons probably make a difference and are probably pretty dang good). These easily compete and compare to some of the JDM gear we are used to, granted, at a lower price point. I purchased the set, so I will probably game them as my winter/tournament/swing is off iron set (with my P2s being the gamers when I am on). But I am not sure if the feel is worth almost double from the T-MBs or more than a set of Epon irons. If these are in the range of $1400-$1600 for a set, they would be hands-down absolutely recommended to be picked up by everyone. At considerably more than that, it is my main hesitation from saying you should go and buy these now.

(outside the 0311t irons, I also gamed the 3W and surprisingly, that is a great club (fitted with a Fuji Pro). Not the longest 3W, but plenty of feel and forgiveness).

So, finally, the PXG irons squarely fit into our world of great JDM gear and don't compete with USDM gear at all (they are well above it).

Hope this helps.

M

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Edited by akapur

Ok, well, fresh off the course. Granted, I have not given the T-MBs or PXGs rounds and rounds of work and I don't have launch stats for those on other sites that love ball speed, spin, launch angle, etc measurements. For me, I keep it simple: distance, forgiveness, feel and maybe height & dispersion).

T-MBs (4-PW) with 130 stiff; PXG 0311t (TOUR ones, not the standard ones - I believe this will make a difference) with 130 stiff.

For me, I typically carry my driver (good, nice weather day) - 245-255 (cold weather day, 230-240 - with no roll on a 7066 yard course that is wet, argh - but I digress).

tldr:

- The T-MBs are longer than the PXG tour irons by maybe a half club to max a full club.

- The T-MBs have a thinner topline and thinner sole. They seem to resemble an MB more than the PXG.

- The PXGs have better feel hands down

- Forgiveness is similar

- I was getting higher ballflight from the PXGs

- I was getting better dispersion from the PXGs (tighter shots)

Bottom line for me:

I am a feel guy 100%. If I get great results but don't like the feel of something (or looks), it won't work long-term (I don't care how great a TM RocketSpaceBallz with Lightsaber shafts give me an extra 3 yards carry on a 8i, if the feel isn't there, I won't game it.

If all I ever hit was USDM gear and I was coming from something from that world to the PXGs, the hype would be 100% worth it. They are great irons, hands down. They perform. They are not the longest (I think the normal PXG irons probably make a difference and are probably pretty dang good). These easily compete and compare to some of the JDM gear we are used to, granted, at a lower price point. I purchased the set, so I will probably game them as my winter/tournament/swing is off iron set (with my P2s being the gamers when I am on). But I am not sure if the feel is worth almost double from the T-MBs or more than a set of Epon irons. If these are in the range of $1400-$1600 for a set, they would be hands-down absolutely recommended to be picked up by everyone. At considerably more than that, it is my main hesitation from saying you should go and buy these now.

(outside the 0311t irons, I also gamed the 3W and surprisingly, that is a great club (fitted with a Fuji Pro). Not the longest 3W, but plenty of feel and forgiveness).

So, finally, the PXG irons squarely fit into our world of great JDM gear and don't compete with USDM gear at all (they are well above it).

Hope this helps.

Great write up, can't wait to get my iron and demo.

Just got done with a trackman fitting. The irons, for me, were incredible. I hit my current Nike Vapor speed 7 iron (32 degrees) with a carry of 139, total 144 (Living in Montana I haven't gotten to swing a club for 3+ months, my distances aren't great!). Got fit into the PXG using a 6 iron (27 degrees) and carried it 167, total 177. Pretty massive jump. Obviously not the same numbered club, but there is no way I have been hitting my nike 6 iron 33 yards farther than my nike 7. My smash factor also improved from 1.26 to 1.34. The consistency in distance was much nicer too. I wasn't seeing a pured shot fly 20 yards farther than my average like I do with the nikes when I really get ahold of one of them. I could still push or pull one if I didn't hit it well, but I was only losing 5-7 yards on distance.

I also loved the hybrid. Picked it up, hit about 4 shots with it and told the fitter "we can try some other things, but nothing is beating this." Compared it to the taylormade m1 and m2 as well as the new titleist, and it wasn't even a competition. I don't have the printed out #s for all the hybrids, but it was about 10 yards longer for me compared to the rest. The feel of it definitely made it my favorite club of the day.

Driver and 3 wood both beat out the competition (Titleist d2 and d4. Taylormade m1, Great big bertha, Ping g30) but the gains were not as massive as the other clubs. I was seeing about 5-7 yards longer with the pxg driver, and some pretty good spin numbers.

The wedges were good, put up really comparable numbers to the Callaway Phil Mickelson grind. Also hit the new vokeys. All three were really really comparable. The Vokeys spun the least for me, but I got the best height on them, and the softest landing angle. I ended up going with the PM grind, just because it was a cheaper club that put up nearly identical #s to the PXGs. Although man, they are an ODD looking club!

Shafts

Irons, wedges: Aerotech Steel Fiber 110i
Hybrid: Stock Fujikura Pro HB
3w,DR: Project X HZRDUS Black

Good heavensim lost.

Tit mbs are like massive earth moving shovels in my eyes and these pin encrsuted tunnel makers wud need grass like rainforest to hit from.

What the hell ...

Looks like traditional proper irons are lost to a bygone player

Looks like in a dinosaur again

I'm with you, give me a small MB with no offset, slim topline and I'm in. Guess I'm a dinosaur as well!

I do like the new Hogans but they are on the large side for a blade.

I have a PXG 15* FW and a pair of PXG Hybrids in 19* and 22* and i am thoroughly enjoying every opportunity I get to take them out of the bag and hit them .

I have used the adjustable tungsten weights to optimise the performance for me and have dialled them in .

I would have no hesitation recommending these to others as tgey just work !

I'm with you, give me a small MB with no offset, slim topline and I'm in. Guess I'm a dinosaur as well!

I do like the new Hogans but they are on the large side for a blade.

There are tons of razor thin traditional blades in Japan for the prehistoric.

I have a PXG 15* FW and a pair of PXG Hybrids in 19* and 22* and i am thoroughly enjoying every opportunity I get to take them out of the bag and hit them .

I have used the adjustable tungsten weights to optimise the performance for me and have dialled them in .

I would have no hesitation recommending these to others as tgey just work !

I finally had the chance to hit the irons, very good and forgiving and they feel good, shape is not the best nor is fit/finish but it's performance is really good.

As Chris mentioned, PXGs finish is not Epon, Romaro, Miura, Yamaha and is on-par with probably Mizuno, Titleist, etc. Their tech is common to some out there but in application, very unique. Forgiveness, distance and playability are off the charts. The profile isn't as blade-like as most of us would like, but its closer than what a big CB would provide with those same characteristics.

I finally had the chance to hit the irons, very good and forgiving and they feel good, shape is not the best nor is fit/finish but it's performance is really good.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to hit either of their 2 current models .

I play the Miuras CB57s that I'm told are quite similar to the 0311Ts .

I do look forward to hitting them !

And yes, forgot to mention the tour irons are absolutely in a different league then their regular ones

As Chris mentioned, PXGs finish is not Epon, Romaro, Miura, Yamaha and is on-par with probably Mizuno, Titleist, etc.

In what way?

In what way?

Just being critical here because the premise of this brand is the best at any expense so there is room for improvement.

If I were in the captains chair with a blank check I would change factories to a particular one in Japan not endo a new one (I will highlight later)

shape & finish are the two biggest areas where I could see adjustments the brushed satin lines and the gloss of the finish looks dry not scratchy but just not up to snuff against brands like Honma or Epon I think it's obvious to notice the difference by discerning eyes.

I could take it a step further by saying the weight system should be proprietary instead of a factory option as prior a couple brands used it and now even more brands are using the same screw system across multiple factories. I understand its concept is for adjustment but inner tungsten still rules and moves more weight than screws ever will.

Shape is of course preference but it could use some evolving which I'm sure they will do.

Right now PXG is killing it and the first releases really perform next step is to see how far they can take it, currently it's great hopefully they can take it to amazing.

Totally agree with you on most parts, the weighting system on the irons is not perfect as the weights are not adjustable, my irons including the wedges all have lead tape to match my swing profile and moi. Cosmetically, I would prefer a clean head and cannot see why they could not make the screws adjustable.

The 3 wood and hybrid's, are excellent. The driver is well behind the likes of our favourite JDM brands.

I'm sure Zack Johnson, is very happy he changed brands after umpteen years, the £5 million was not even an issue. After seeing yesterday's round, thank god he did not change his putter. It just goes to show you how long it takes to get used to your clubs.

"PXG was on a mission to introduce a black iron finish that would not fade overtime and would resist showing signs of wear and tear. We discovered that DLC coating not only produces an extraordinary look without influencing club performance relative to how the ball reacts, but also significantly extends the reasonable lifetime for the black finish." - Brad Schweigert, Chief Product Officer, PXG

I prefer the satin silver finish to the black .

What would've been interesting is if they produced the irons in a copper finish !

These are attractive but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the play ability of the club seems to be good . I have played

Mizuno blades and CB and currently play the OnOff Kuro and love the forging of Endo and the feel is amazing.

Call me a purest but injecting plastic- resins and gluing badges on irons for feel just seems wrong :) but many manufacturers do it

and to each his own.

I'm excited to live in a time where there are so many choices

Expensive yes, but not too crazy compared to $22,500 for the 5-star Honma Beres 6-pack!

compared to USDM irons.....I wouldn't really compare these to Epon or Miura, yet they cost more.

Having owned several sets of Epon and Miura, I totally disagree with you. It's this type of elitist attitude that gives JDM a bad name.

Having owned several sets of Epon and Miura, I totally disagree with you. It's this type of elitist attitude that gives JDM a bad name.

This is a great topic with value in bk's opinion and yours, here is mine.

- Miura is handmade & better finished which I prefer (fact)

- Epon is better quality manufacturing (fact)

- PXG is the better "performance" design of the 3 (opinion)

If PXG's were made in Japan using Japanese materials and left 30g over for hand grinding for a better shape then finished in Japan we have the best of all worlds, this could have easily been done at the price point. When Bob Parsons says best of the best at any cost that was a marketing angle not a maniacal devotion to creating the best at any price.

I value materials & how products are made, If I was looking strictly for performance I would play PRGR Super Eggs with 7D shafts putting PXG's to shame in distance and forgiveness yet failing in size, feel and visuals to my eye.

To steal from Jony Ive's book -

We are very comfortable talking about attributes that are tangible, 5 is more than 2, distance and numbers can't be argued but what people are less comfortable talking about is the most important thing which is the intangible.

We make the most important decisions of our lives in the absence of data, it's not just about how it looks, feels, performs.

People perceive value beyond their ability to articulate why, when you ask someone why they like something often it has more relationship to the care that was extended in it's creation, and when value is placed on something that's not tangible and doesn't have to be done or doesn't contribute to better performance people sense the care and these things matter just as people can also sense carelessness or opportunistic products that were developed for numbers or price people sense that as well, we care & connect with things emotionally.

My favorite part of JDM golf clubs is the person, the story, the craft, the obsession, and human creativity that goes into it, less the non golfer who learned autocad to produce a DXF file to input in a machine to have a factory in China mass produce it.

Apples and oranges but I see it somewhat similar to watches or luxury goods, we can still tell time with an affordable digital watch, we can cover our bodies in fabrics that are cost effective but we sense care and feel something special when it's uniquely produced.