For years, there’s only been one passenger waiting at the Kami-Shirataki train station in the northernmost island of Hokkaido, Japan: A high-school girl, on her way to class. The train stops there only twice a day—once to pick up the girl and again to drop her off after the school day is over.

post-18-0-81871900-1452455422_thumb.png

three years ago ridership at the Kami-Shirataki station had dramatically fallen because of its remote location, and freight service had ended there as well. Japan Railways was getting ready to shut the station down for good—until they noticed that it was still being used every day by the high-schooler. So they decided to keep the station open for her until she graduates. The company’s even adjusted the train’s timetable according to the girl’s schedule. The unnamed girl is expected to graduate this March, which is when the station will finally be closed.
post-18-0-74309700-1452455468_thumb.png
post-18-0-44034800-1452455522_thumb.png
post-18-0-90937300-1452455534_thumb.png
post-18-0-32891800-1452455544_thumb.png

Yeah, that would happen in America... right...

Like you say, Chris, awesome.

Wow....I love that country!! I wish I could move there......but wonder if it will be impossible speaking English only :)

Not exactly the same thing, but my daughter gets off the school bus right in front of our house.

By the time the bus comes around our area, there are only a few kids left to drop off and the driver stops in front of each house. :)

Again not the same thing, but some of these values still exist in the U.S. ( well at least here in Montana! :) )

That is great customer service. Can't imagine that happening here in the UK, shame really.