Club/gapping issues

magpies

Hello mates,

So recently I have decided to maybe, give up on hitting hybrids. It might be my swing fault or not practising enough with hybrids but I find it really hard to get along with hybrids.

I finally decided to introduce a 5 wood in my bag and couldn't be more happy. (so that replaces my 18 degree hybrid)

Now, I play the Epon 303, 5-Pw iron set with the loft of 5 iron being 26 degree. It will be fair to say, that I am only fully confident of my irons till 6. My 5 iron is not my strongest but it can still go decent.

Would anyone who have experience in such a situation be able to recommend me a club or advice to bridge the gap between my 5 iron and my 5 wood?

Would you still advice me to practise more with a hybrid because I don't believe i have the game for driving iron when I can't even hit my 5 iron well.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Edited by magpies

I can think of someone who has a 7w and a 3i driving iron in the BST. Both would fill your gap beautifully.............just saying ⛳️

There was a recommendation on a Japanese golf magazine a while back for 3 iron replacements.

For slower swing speed: 7 wood

For medium swing speed: Hybrid

For faster swing speed: Driving Irons

I think at the end, it's all preference. I have used all three types and now settled with driving iron as my 3 iron replacement.

Edited by nobmontana

There was a recommendation on a Japanese golf magazine a while back for 3 iron replacements.

For slower swing speed: 7 wood

For medium swing speed: Hybrid

For faster swing speed: Driving Irons

I think at the end, it's all preference. I have used all three types and now settled with driving iron as my 3 iron replacement.

i would say my swing speed is medium? Driver swing speed is between 95-105. Ive never used any driving irons before tbh.

Edited by magpies

I have the same problem as u, I fill the gap with a 21" hybrid, just choose a easy hybrid then u should be able to solve your problem, a hybrid should be much easier to hit than a driving iron or long iron.

Many have problems with long irons. At 20 handicap, you should just expect a solid hit near the green. Have you tried easing off a fairway wood or hybrid, maybe a punch type shot, where you just try to make solid contact? If you hit the full 5 wood maybe 200 yards, then ease off the 5 wood (maybe a 3/4 swing) for a 185-190 shot as a replacement for the 4 iron.

Edited by donnieu

Use a driving iron like epon 901 22 and you will not look for anything more IMO

Don't think I have game for the 901.... Frustrating it's the 180-200 yard issue for me.

Many have problems with long irons. At 20 handicap, you should just expect a solid hit near the green. Have you tried easing off a fairway wood or hybrid, maybe a punch type shot, where you just try to make solid contact? If you hit the full 5 wood maybe 200 yards, then ease off the 5 wood (maybe a 3/4 swing) for a 185-190 shot as a replacement for the 4 iron.

Yes I tried. My 3 wood goes about 220-230 yards. 3 wood is my best club I hit. Reliable and solid. It's just natural to me. 5 wood goes about 210. Tried easing off the 5 wood gripping lower. But it isn't consistent.

Onoff Type S 21* with the right shaft. I find this thing very versatile and easy from lots of lies. Pick a shaft around 10g lighter than your 5 iron. If you go too light it's harder to choke down and improvise.

A-Grind Ut Proto shafted like a 3 iron : bomber !

If you're happy with the 5w that replaced your hybrid, then it seems 7w is the logical answer...

Edited by chiromikey

PRGR Egg UT - best of both worlds and stupid easy to hit.

yes i need to do more research on it. Is it the normal UT or the I series? But how does it compare to the A grind proto?

If you're happy with the 5w that replaced your hybrid, then it seems 7w is the logical answer...

too many woods will make my bag ugly. I don't want that. yeah but i did think of that :D

Edited by magpies

Bro,

Maybe we can meet up in some driving ranges since we are both from Singapore, for you to try out my Epon driving iron 23* (4i replacement) or my Romaro UT 21, both are my gap btw my 5i and 3w.

The other suggestion will be to have a 7w to replace your 4i or you can try using a open cavity 4i head fitted with a higher launching graphite shaft so as to make the hit easier.

Practice your hybrid.

BTW, What hybrid do you have now? Guessing from your other clubs, Epon AF-902?

Edited by nobmontana

Bro,

Maybe we can meet up in some driving ranges since we are both from Singapore, for you to try out my Epon driving iron 23* (4i replacement) or my Romaro UT 21, both are my gap btw my 5i and 3w.

The other suggestion will be to have a 7w to replace your 4i or you can try using a open cavity 4i head fitted with a higher launching graphite shaft so as to make the hit easier.

thanks for the offer mate. But I am always on the move. I'll drop u a msg when I'm back.

Practice your hybrid.

BTW, What hybrid do you have now? Guessing from your other clubs, Epon AF-902?

Hi Nob,

no hybrids. sold them all. Used the epon 902, xr, adams, masda and miura. They all didn't work out so well. Perhaps ur right. I will get a hybrid and start practising with it.

Edited by magpies

So what was your problem with all of the hybrids?

I used the 902 before and while I could hit them solidly, I occasionally got the big hooks which is pretty common with many hybrids.

This is why I moved away from hybrids (again) I was not very good with Driving Irons either but this time around I am using lighter hybrid shafts in my driving irons which I think will help with the launch. We'll see how it goes.

Depending on what your problems were, you may be able to address them with different character shafts.

Have you tried going to a fitter to get fit for a hybrid?

So what was your problem with all of the hybrids?

I used the 902 before and while I could hit them solidly, I occasionally got the big hooks which is pretty common with many hybrids.

This is why I moved away from hybrids (again) I was not very good with Driving Irons either but this time around I am using lighter hybrid shafts in my driving irons which I think will help with the launch. We'll see how it goes.

Depending on what your problems were, you may be able to address them with different character shafts.

Have you tried going to a fitter to get fit for a hybrid?

Yes I tried going to fitter and found out fujikura speeder 8.8 shaft works best. I generate a lot of spin and I have a steep angle of attack. The fitter recommended a smaller hybrid for me.

Edited by magpies