As my new years resolution, I have been diligently going to the gym 6 days a week.

45 to 60 min on stationary bike, and 30min with weights and stretching. Doing pretty good.

Trying to minimize that ramp up time I always have at the start of the season with my swing speed.

Anyone know of a good workout menu targeted for golfers?

i am a huge proponent of training from the ground up. meaning for golfers, it all starts from our legs on up. i do a ton of HIIT (high intensity internal training) which would be something like 8 different exercises for 45 seconds each with a 10 second break in between. repeat that 3-5 times. i focus on legs like squats, lunges, skaters and i mix in core (lots of plank like exercises) and upper body as well. i use mostly lighter weight but i go all out on each exercise.

for example, here is what i did yesterday (yes i write down my entire workout ahead of time. i always plan).

quick stretch with dynamic warmup (3/4 mile run at a 7.5 pace)

- 8 exercises - 45 sec each, 10 sec break in between. repeat 3 times.

mountain climbers

kettlebell snatch

plank with medball

goblet squats

skaters

box jumps

explosive pushups

burpees with dumbells

-3 exercises - use a cool down and do as many as possible. 2-3 sets

leg lifts

pullups

jump tucks

workout done. then i stretch for 5-10 min using a foam roller.

i do this type of workout about 4 times a week. the other times would be pure cardio or bikram yoga.

overall i love explosive type workouts ie kettle bell swings are great for hip strength and i love skaters which really strengthen your lateral movement which is huge for us golfers. some of these workouts are similar to crossfit but you will never ever see me in a crossfit gym.

best of luck and theres tons of literature out there on workouts similar to what i mentioned.

Great info. Thanks!!

I found an android app that has exercise menus designed for golfers.

Looks much like what you might be doing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitivity.golf_conditioning

yeah that app looks solid. also, and this may or may not be in the budget but a few years ago i got a personal trainer and he really helped me learn how to train on my own. it was the best money spent and i dont regret $400 a month cost. he really taught me how to do this HIIT workouts while keeping the right form and preventing injuries.

maybe speak with your gym to see if they offer personal training etc and discuss your goals. let me know how you progress!

Golf Rx is a program in a book by Dr. Vijay Vad who works with guys on the tour. Core strength, yoga, etc, for golf. I've been doing it for years. Great all around work, especially if you've ever had back problems.

i do a combination of HIIT (spartacus workout) and Starting strength. doing all compound lifts now

heavy heavy 5x5 sets. and don't forget nutrition, its half the game!

have noticed a big improvement in everything ,swing speed is up but faulty technique is still there:(

Yea HIIT is great. You can also try the 'Tabata' workout which I think improves performance drastically.

TPI has a great website of videos (workouts) http://www.mytpi.com/exercises#filter?area=health&page=1

Something I recently found, and picked up a few exercises from it.

• 2 weeks later...

For me they key factors are simple: it must be lifestyle and consistent. without those things it wont last.

1 x per week Yoga

4 x per week stretch/cardio/weights ( only 1hr 30min )

2 x per week BJJ

5 days a week eat clean & below 2000cal

this allows me to have two anything goes meals + drinks per week (usually sat/sun)

Tried cross fit, HIT, Tabata, and many extreme diets. I have weight issues. I find the DASH diet ideal for me. I hired a trainer for a year then since dec of last year have been able to sustain this on my own by replacing him with BJJ.

Im about to embark on a lot of travel for work and pleasure so keeping this up and planning wisely will be a challenge.

I also find if I dont completely exhaust myself working out Im a F'd up person, too much energy with no physical outlet puts me on trigger, jumpy, and overly aggressive. I need this consistent balance for my sanity.

I also listen to a boat load of pod casts, when I awake, go to bed, and motivational stuff in the gym.

My diet often is:

AM - Shaklee Meal Replacement Shake whey balanced carbs/protein

During gym - BPI sports BCAA drink artic ice flavor

After gym - piece of 15 grain bread with almond butter + 2 eggs + fruit w/cottage cheese

take my pills, L-Carnatine & CLA & Shaklee Vitalizer Strip.

Almonds if I need a snack but bo more than 20

dinner fish or chix with veg + brown rice/white rice mix or salad.

10mg meletonin at night.

sounds healthy right? but come weekends im drinking multiple bloody marys, beer, & wine, stuffing my face with whatever lots of rare red meat and I do this 1-2 times on saturday and once on Sunday.

My diet often is:

AM - Shaklee Meal Replacement Shake whey balanced carbs/protein

During gym - BPI sports BCAA drink artic ice flavor

Chris,

I think you nailed it when you said that consistency/lifestyle is key. Might I add and I assume you implied that consistency must be present over a long period of time.

Also, how do you like the BPI BCAA? I use ON Amino Energy pre and during workouts and then use the ON Hydro Whey for post workouts.

For me, I am 35 now, but I went through a random late 20’s epiphany and after a relatively difficult breakup with a long term girlfriend, decided to change my life, habits and overall lifestyle.

When I look back on it, as difficult as it may seem now, the choice was incredibly easy for me when I was 28. I decided to eat more vegetables by juicing, I decided to workout for longevity (yoga, more cardio, less heavy weights) and I decided to scale down my financial life, ie I sold a ton of assets (I sold all of my watches which was well over 60k of value but I always bought preowned) that I accumulated over the years as a young investment banker (I no longer am in that field, CPA now).

I think the reason for the drastic change in lifestyle was that I knew I would have kids one day and I wanted to be the healthiest person I could possibly be. I see my dad and of course he is from a different generation but he needs to take blood pressure meds and he has diabetes as well which he manages through injections. I just never wanted to be in that position ever where I was dependent on prescription medication.

So for 7 years I have been consistent with having at least 12 oz of juice at least 5 days a week (majority of ingredients are veggies like spinach, kale, watercress, broccoli, ginger and a little banana and oj). My watch of choice now is a fitbit only for calorie tracking. My goal is to burn 2200 calories a day ( I am 5’5” 148lbs) while being smart about intake. I don’t track intake at all. Also, I eat throughout the day, nibbling on things like trail mix, protein shake, yogurt and cereal. By doing of all of this I could not even imagine what my life would be like had I not decided to change my lifestyle. Prior to 28 I was not out of shape but I was your typical late 20’s guy. I only lifted weights, probably drank too much and ate almost no vegetables. Now I have completely flipped that lifestyle and I couldn’t be happier. Also, I recently purchased life insurance as my wife is pregnant with our first and I was able to lock in the cheapest premiums possible as I met every medical criteria during the tests.

Anyways, this is long enough but just as Chris said, it is about consistency and longevity and the byproduct of all of these changes ended up being a much healthier lifestyle, lower insurance premiums, a healthier body from the inside out and potentially a faster swing speed J

Perhaps all of this lifestyle change was for naught as who knows, I could die tomorrow. But I don’t regret any of the changes and now all of this, the juicing, making sure I sweat hard at least 5 times a week, the reduced alcohol intake (casual drinking now) and eating right all seem like second nature to me.

Edited by mr.haha

Chris,

I think you nailed it when you said that consistency/lifestyle is key. Might I add and I assume you implied that consistency must be present over a long period of time.

Also, how do you like the BPI BCAA? I use ON Amino Energy pre and during workouts and then use the ON Hydro Whey for post workouts.

For me, I am 35 now, but I went through a random late 20’s epiphany and after a relatively difficult breakup with a long term girlfriend, decided to change my life, habits and overall lifestyle.

When I look back on it, as difficult as it may seem now, the choice was incredibly easy for me when I was 28. I decided to eat more vegetables by juicing, I decided to workout for longevity (yoga, more cardio, less heavy weights) and I decided to scale down my financial life, ie I sold a ton of assets (I sold all of my watches which was well over 60k of value but I always bought preowned) that I accumulated over the years as a young investment banker (I no longer am in that field, CPA now).

I think the reason for the drastic change in lifestyle was that I knew I would have kids one day and I wanted to be the healthiest person I could possibly be. I see my dad and of course he is from a different generation but he needs to take blood pressure meds and he has diabetes as well which he manages through injections. I just never wanted to be in that position ever where I was dependent on prescription medication.

So for 7 years I have been consistent with having at least 12 oz of juice at least 5 days a week (majority of ingredients are veggies like spinach, kale, watercress, broccoli, ginger and a little banana and oj). My watch of choice now is a fitbit only for calorie tracking. My goal is to burn 2200 calories a day ( I am 5’5” 148lbs) while being smart about intake. I don’t track intake at all. Also, I eat throughout the day, nibbling on things like trail mix, protein shake, yogurt and cereal. By doing of all of this I could not even imagine what my life would be like had I not decided to change my lifestyle. Prior to 28 I was not out of shape but I was your typical late 20’s guy. I only lifted weights, probably drank too much and ate almost no vegetables. Now I have completely flipped that lifestyle and I couldn’t be happier. Also, I recently purchased life insurance as my wife is pregnant with our first and I was able to lock in the cheapest premiums possible as I met every medical criteria during the tests.

Anyways, this is long enough but just as Chris said, it is about consistency and longevity and the byproduct of all of these changes ended up being a much healthier lifestyle, lower insurance premiums, a healthier body from the inside out and potentially a faster swing speed J

Perhaps all of this lifestyle change was for naught as who knows, I could die tomorrow. But I don’t regret any of the changes and now all of this, the juicing, making sure I sweat hard at least 5 times a week, the reduced alcohol intake (casual drinking now) and eating right all seem like second nature to me.

Sorry I got to this one late! Yes consistency, We are about the same age, I've been doing good for just over 1 year now.

BPI BCAA I think tastes great! I also hear great things about this co. I use it because it's sweet and tastes like im cheating.

I have actually been to one of the top supplement manufacturing factories in Cali inperson what an interesting experience. dozens of huge garage sized bins of dried leaves/herbs being moved by bull dozer, room full of fax machines getting quotes from the herb/mineral dealers all day long from all over the world unfortunately most brands go with cheapest. Lot's of science but also lots of marketing with many competitors made right along side each other. It's often what extras the brand pays for that make the difference and if they have their own testing lab which is not cheap. like golf clubs anyone can make their own brand it's more a question of are they willing to invest in making it a great brand.

I can't stress enough the importance of mental reconditioning and changing ones context. pod casts, motivational videos, last thing at night, first thing in AM, while I work out has been a huge help. At the moment I'm listening to:

- The Joe Rogan Expereince

- Invisibilia

- Explain Things To Me

- On Point with Tom Ashbrook

- Slates Political Gabfest

- The Tim Ferris Show

- Youtube stuff at gym

Just trying to absorb different people's realities with the goal of learning + motivation, becoming a more positive person, and staying on track with my goals.

Yoga I also give a lot of credit it's helped my back.

Struggling with rotator cuff injury right now and on 800mg of IBProf. Working out 5-6 days a week sometimes takes it's toll on me so I have to know when to back off.

Not sure if any of this has helped my golf game though. we all have our own theories but my thing is no warm up, no stretching, no caffine, and eat small bites throughout the round with some sort of energy chew at the turn or shortly after.