putter shaft envy.. carbon VS steel

supo

Ok.. a putter shaft is a putter shaft right ??

yea, well that's what I thought till sunday too.

Ive been using 2 of my fujukura tours onewith a DG steel thing the other with a fujikura Made for bettinardi ..... id never ever considered it previoulsy bec id not hit these 2 in tandem but after last weekend it was absolutely different THE same betti tour head with a steel DG and the fujikura was like hitting 2 different putters on different grass!

the difference was IMMENSE.

the carbon seemed to absorb the shock miles more and was a shorter distance roll and a grippier feel and slowness at the hole, it seemed MILES more controlled with less distance with the same stroke, the steel seemed to jump more off the face and on fast greens which these were the fujikura shafted one was consistently closer to the hole time and again than the steel one, the dispersion was noticeable as well.

SO last night I was mucking about with a masda putter with a quadra fire express putter shaft in it.

if I thought the fujikura was nice, THIS was amazing, I cant explain in words t he difference, bec unless u hit a few of these u cant know, lord knows till Saturday I ahd no idea, even the loads of Frequency filtered shafts ivce got fro mattas, are nothing. NOTHJING in comapriosn to the new stuff.

ive gotta get one.... that quadra one is just trerrrifc.

anyone else got one , anything of note ???????????

I cant shim in on anything other than Im going to get a carbon shaft for my Miura Km-008 before season start. The quadra is one of the candidates and it sure seems promising after reading this. Thanks mate

try the Dogatti. Even Sasaya-san was totally impressed when he was building up my IPT putter.

It's crazy stiff at around 500 cpm... but it feels great and rolls the ball so well!

I now have it in my Geo Galaxy as well.

Edited by nobmontana

Since you are in Japan, maybe you can get a hold of one of those Black Diamana Protos that Yuta Ikeda was using for a while.

Uber rare Only 100 pieces made. I know of one on the market paired up with a Scotty Tour Rat... they want 400,000 yen for the putter so .. I am just drolling over the photos.

I tried the Fire Express as well. Dogatti feels more solid to me.

I think it's mainly because of the tunsgten powder infused carbon sheet it uses full length.

Also because of how stiff it is, when you waggle your putter, there is absolutely no flex in the shaft .

I do believe this minimal flex of the shaft contributes to better distance control and consistency.

Edited by nobmontana

dogatti made by muziik......... love their stuff.

ok ill check it out Nobs.

ive got their grips on a a few clubs and they are my new favourites.

dogatti thing looks terrific as well ,esp the back one.

cant I find any info o nthe diamana.. might have to pop in and see them in person on that one

Edited by supo67

Hows the feedback on mis hits with the Doggati?

I didn't like other carbon shafts because it kinda numb'd out the feel of bad putts, regardless it felt good.

perhaps different heads may provide different feedback but for my two putters. IPT GF mod and Geo Galaxy, I can totally tell if I missed the sweet spot.

Wandered into a shop today and found a Diamana prototype putter shaft. About half the cost of the above. Would love to hear any feedback.

In Seattle? Wow! That's a rare find! not sure if I've read any feedback. They are so rare.

Yuta Ikeda used it for a few months. but went back to steel. So I guess that tells us Ikeda didn't care for ir roo much.

In Seattle? Wow! That's a rare find! not sure if I've read any feedback. They are so rare.

Yuta Ikeda used it for a few months. but went back to steel. So I guess that tells us Ikeda didn't care for ir roo much.

hey nob so after all your graphite putter shaft testing, could you rate your favourite? maybe top 3?

Yeah.. like mag's says. Can we get an update after you get the Diamana Proto in your stable?

ok had a good session witrh the dogatti the other night and bit the bullet... I was hitting it so pure with this putter nd it felt just like I like so I had to give it a go.

will be tested properly in a cpl of weeks

Nice! I feel these shafts are in a league of its own.

So comparing the two putters I have with Dogattis, I noticed that the label location was totally different.

One was assembled by Gold's Sasaya-san and the other by me. It looks like Sasaya san took off a good 1.5 inches from the tip .

I did not tip at all. Difference in feel? not really. They are both stiff like no other. But In theory, the tipped one should be even stiffer.

I just thought I would mention it because I've never even thought about tipping putter shafts. Is this common practice?

Quick update.

I put the Diamana Proto in my Gold's T102.

Totally changed the feel compared to the Ns Pro Heavy shaft I had in it.

The feel is now quite firm. Perhaps bordering "clicky" for some.

Firmest of my three putters. Distance conrol has improved drastically!! Loving it!

Gold's T102 / Diamana Proto

- JIS SUS303 body

- Tungsten weight on toe and heel of face

- No milling flat face

"Vintage Gold's"

post-14163-0-69409600-1454470522_thumb.jpost-14163-0-17887600-1454470525_thumb.j

Yamada IPT Gold's Mod / Dogatti

- Horizontal PZ Milling on Custom German Silver Insert

- Carbon Steel Body

"Softest feeling"

post-14163-0-96933900-1454470528_thumb.jpost-14163-0-27006000-1454470531_thumb.j

Geo Galaxy / Dogatti

- JIS SUS303 body

- Deep milled face

"Best all rounder"

post-14163-0-93740800-1454470512_thumb.jpost-14163-0-81731200-1454470515_thumb.j

If I rank the shafts themselves. It'll go like this:

Feel:

1. NS Pro Heavy

2. Dogatti

3. Diamana

4. Fire Express

Distance Control:

1. Dogatti

2. Diamana

3. Fire Express

4. NS Pro heavy

Edited by nobmontana

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm great info Nob-san.

I think im gonna lift another dogatti for my GSS golds.

the stiffness of that shaft with the horizontal PZ grooves on the golds might make it a bit more taught.

I will say the dogatti has a feel all of its own.

If I rank the shafts themselves. It'll go like this:

Feel:

1. NS Pro Heavy

2. Dogatti

3. Diamana

4. Fire Express

Which putter shaft do you like the best? Can you give Alittle more detail on the Dogatti, as I am considering one. Thanks

Distance Control:

1. Dogatti

2. Diamana

3. Fire Express

4. NS Pro heavy

I still like the Dogatti the best out of the three graphites.

Fire Express was still good but was flexier compared to the Dogatti and felt a bit hollower.

Dogatti feels like really stiff solid steel bar.

Diamana is as stiff as the Dogatti but perhaps not as solid feeling.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm great info Nob-san.

I think im gonna lift another dogatti for my GSS golds.

the stiffness of that shaft with the horizontal PZ grooves on the golds might make it a bit more taught.

I will say the dogatti has a feel all of its own.

My guess is that you would get a more direct feel of the PZ milling.

GSS Gold's + Dogatti = MM mm good!

Nobsan, did you tip the Dimamana?

Yes, in fact I used Sasaya-san's method to tip most of the parallel section off .

It worked great.