R9 TP Forged by TSG Club Works

TourSpecGolfer

We took in some homeless used classic Taylormade R9 TP Japan Forged Irons and did our magic removing the TP badge sending them into our Black Boron finishing factory ( in Japan ) then a custom white/yellow paint fill job. These irons are Dark and Evil looking now. We still have these set of heads 5-PW available if anyone is interested.

DSC09045-Edit.jpg

DSC09028-Edit.jpg

DSC09025-Edit.jpg

DSC09043-Edit.jpg

DSC09053-Edit.jpg

DSC09020-Edit.jpg

DSC09257-Edit.jpg

To me the R9 TP are like a fat white Burgundy. They are crisp, buttery and a long finish. ;) Not really a Talormade fan boy, but I like the size, shape and the way they setup besides the feel. Question is.... while the dark magic do look fine, how does the boron finish affect feel?

Thanks for the resurrection TSG CW does fine work.

Imo almost any club can feel soft with the right shaft/grip/specs and hitting it center, I've hit black borons that feel hard and hit them that are very soft. These irons inherently feel soft. Mitsubishi OT shafts do a good job at making many clubs feel buttery.

---

To Spoon-san, what is black pearl? Soft Black Plated + Polished which is similar to the black nickel finish by Honma or Mizuno Yoro is possible.

So, I am going to say these look really really really good. I have not really seen the R9s in nice photos and this shows a pretty well designed iron (perfect sole, offset, topline, etc). I think they look great in black as well. GLWS Chris! Great idea.

Imo almost any club can feel soft with the right shaft/grip/specs and hitting it center, I've hit black borons that feel hard and hit them that are very soft. These irons inherently feel soft. Mitsubishi OT shafts do a good job at making many clubs feel buttery.

---

To Spoon-san, what is black pearl? Soft Black Plated + Polished which is similar to the black nickel finish by Honma or Mizuno Yoro is possible.

its like a black finish with super shiny topcoat. like smoked chrome

What I like about this is if you have a particular favourite set of irons, you can have them refurbished and keep them for an extended period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you walk me through the process of re-finishing these irons? Were the faces that clean and unmarked when you started, or were they machined back to new finish?

I have a set of 2011 VG3 irons that I would love to do something like this with, as long as it didn't change the way they feel. My iron play has never been better since I replaced the AP2 714 irons with them. Buttery and long at the same time is a great combo.

My set has bag chatter on the faces from a previous owner, but other than these small dings are in very good nick.