Srixon ZR-30 - Matsuyama still gaming

LudaCliff

Yup. Have watched him play with this thing up close a couple of times. The smallest wear spot on the face of a driver I have ever seen. The guy does not miss the sweet spot very often....

Yes I gamed one last year with a Stinger 70s. Very good considering its age, but a little unforgiving for my game.

agree with Ian.

I did a 8 driver shootout on trackman a couple of years ago and Zr30 combined with a Miyazaki shaft came in 2nd to P-tune pg313 in distance.

Other contenders included Titleist 913d2 , yamaha 4.6 rpm, baldo vt511, kamui 456 and Ryoma Maxima type V. It had consistently higher ball speeds off the face. and even though it's an older model , it had already incorporated somewhat of a forward cg design like the TM sldr of more recent years so it was lower spinning. As Ian says, Sweet spot is not huge, but feel, and sound, looks are superb.

After Matsuyama came to US PGA tour, market price has gone up on used zr30s. Used to be able to pick these up at very reasonable prices.

Edited by nobmontana

Matsuyama tries all the new Srixon drivers when they come out but seem to go back after a couple of weeks.

I also noticed his WITB , iron shafts are now S400 instead of X100.

To Srixon: "You need to come out with a new driver that works for Matsuyama soon. He is not gonna stay happy being 20-30 yards behind other players all the time!!"

On a side note, Ricky's 340 yard drives were pretty amazing using that new Cobra driver with the see thru cap on the sole. :) He still uses the original Diamana Whiteboard I believe.

Edited by nobmontana

The original Whiteboard has to be one of the all time greatest shafts.

Matsuyama tries all the new Srixon drivers when they come out but seem to go back after a couple of weeks.

I also noticed his WITB , iron shafts are now S400 instead of X100.

To Srixon: "You need to come out with a new driver that works for Matsuyama soon. He is not gonna stay happy being 20-30 yards behind other players all the time!!"

On a side note, Ricky's 340 yard drives were pretty amazing using that new Cobra driver with the see thru cap on the sole. :) He still uses the original Diamana Whiteboard I believe.

According to the posts here lack of distance is not an issue with the ZR-30? Rather that it's not exactly forgiving.

Thanks for the replies guys. Was interested how it compared to other drivers as well as current stuff.

Nob-san, you mentioned that it was lower spinning. What is the ZR-30 like in flight and trajectory?

.....340 yards into the creek unfortunately for Ricky......

The TV announcers mentioned that in his career Ricky has hit it into the water on that 17th hole 9 times.....9 times!!!! You would think a pro would kind of learn from that stat.

Edited by LudaCliff

looking back at the tracman data... the notable performance was actually the ball speed . This head was 2 to 3 mph faster on average.

The stats were 103 mph swing speed, 155 mph ball speed , 9deg launch angle , 2800 rpm backspin, 250 yards carry.

it was a 8.5deg head combined with a Miyazaki Kusala Black 61 X , so very low launch. in fact , too low.

Totally wrong spec for me. If I do it again today, I'd probably go 9.5 deg head, same shaft but 72 S.

• 8 years later...

well mr Nobs.............. i just got my  hands on a brand new   9.5* with diamana   K  in it,  was custom built for a customer that  didnt pick it up!

wil be very interested to  put this in play this season.  andi  cudnt   give a rats    if tis   425cc and 8 yrs old and  by all  counts now somewehre near  280 yards behind  the newest POS taylor made.

if u got those numbers with it a few yrs back then thats as a  good as it can get.

much prefer  top quality to   US  mkting  crap.

good enough  for Hideki  kun , good enough to  play here.

did the same  with a YAMAHA v203 10*. that head  is just  so good.

• 3 weeks later...