A-Grind Y-PROTO Driver

TourSpecGolfer

According to this article on GEW, looks to be a shallow head at 410cc.

The request from the Pro who collaborated with the design was to be able to tee up the ball lower and to be able to swing it like a fairway wood yet does not look small at address. So maybe a similar concept to the S Yard T.388 or maybe Mystery CF-425 Tour?

http://www.gew.co.jp/news/maker/16020920886.php

From the looks of it, perhaps a sibling to the 440 driver but shallower?

Edited by nobmontana

According to this article on GEW, looks to be a shallow head at 410cc.

The request from the Pro who collaborated with the design was to be able to tee up the ball lower and to be able to swing it like a fairway wood yet does not look small at address. So maybe a similar concept to the S Yard T.388 or maybe Mystery CF-425 Tour?

http://www.gew.co.jp/news/maker/16020920886.php

Seems like a bit of semblance of the 388 looking down (small top down pic from google)

Definitely looking forward to more information on this..

I do like the shallower smaller head type but no guts to try the A-Grind classic driver..

Edited by Daveraul

Very pretty

Just received my 440 , guess I will have to change soon ...

the only thing that seems a little strange and this is maybe due to translation, but why would you want a 410cc driver to appear as 460cc? does not make too much sense to me, everyone tries to make the 460cc appear smaller, this is the exact opposite...

i can live with a shallower face, but hopefully they dont mess with the optics on this head too bad...other wise it will be the deep faced 440 for me.

the only thing that seems a little strange and this is maybe due to translation, but why would you want a 410cc driver to appear as 460cc? does not make too much sense to me, everyone tries to make the 460cc appear smaller, this is the exact opposite...

i can live with a shallower face, but hopefully they dont mess with the optics on this head too bad...other wise it will be the deep faced 440 for me.

I think there are a few reasons, the first could be confidence while over the ball but the other could be necessity as flatting a head out for a more shallow profile could make it appear larger. Who knows but this is a limited club designed for a very good player so it's not really meant to appeal to the masses. It's also got a very open face for a stock club.

I think there are a few reasons, the first could be confidence while over the ball but the other could be necessity as flatting a head out for a more shallow profile could make it appear larger. Who knows but this is a limited club designed for a very good player so it's not really meant to appeal to the masses. It's also got a very open face for a stock club.

i know optics are big...

and yes that is the main reason i am looking forward to this, 1.5* open is awesome

When I do comparisons between larger 460cc heads vs a smaller one ( I have an older 365cc driver ) I do notice slight increase in head speed with the smaller head. So in my experience, smaller head usually equals faster head speed.

Maybe it's a function of the size of the face in which case, a shallower faced head may travel faster due to reduced drag?

Looks like another awesome club from Ako-san.!

PS. For those of you who prefer an open head design, can you describe why? Thx.

two things;

first is simple and thats optics, i hate looking down at a shut face, pure and simple.

the playability standpoint is with a club say 1* open, when you are squaring the face at impact you are effectively reducing the loft of the club by that degree....

Can this head be had in uber heavy weights? say 210g to 220g?

A 9 deg 215g, at 44 inches could make this a deadly accurate fairway sniper!

i would assume whom its made for, in this case the "Y" is for Yasuharu, as in Yasuharu Imano

No disrespect for this pro or anything ... but I thought it was interesting that they used an initial from a pro who just made it thru the Japan tour qualifying tournament. Good or bad... you decide,,,, but I have not seen any other company do that.

To me, a closed head usually looks straight. And a straight face looks closed.

So it's more a matter of the look at address, if I'm reading this right...? Does it help someone whose miss tends to be left? And would it cause even more of a push to someone whose miss tends toward the right?

So it's more a matter of the look at address, if I'm reading this right...? Does it help someone whose miss tends to be left? And would it cause even more of a push to someone whose miss tends toward the right?

I have the 350 Classic which is 1 degree open and my misses has always been left but I have yet to hit a draw with this driver. Dead straight or a small fade.