The Lineage of SEVEN GOLF

What is SEVEN?
To put it bluntly, it's a brand that I created strictly as a hobby if it becomes something greater if not no big deal.
I don't want to put a bunch of fancy words around it or made up terms for very basic technologies; I just want to be able to share with you guys what we do, who makes it and how it's made... That is what would make me happiest so let's do it.
post-18-0-73870600-1457064062_thumb.png
I have gone back and fourth on how to position the brand, pricing, shop accounts, etc..
We started off with a small handful of accounts mostly in Asia but to create a system that benefits everyone from manufacturer to brand to shop to customer the prices have to be silly high, I don't want to make an overpriced product unless my costs justify a higher sticker price in manufacturing or quantity.... Sorry resellers
And because we buy at manufacturing costs selling directly to the consumer we can bring the price down.
I want you guys to understand something, though, I'm only interested and able to produce in very small quantities 10pcs here, 5pcs there 20pcs at other times If I produce hundreds of pcs then we are no longer flexible, and we can't start fun new maniac projects because we would then be stuck with stock.
So I pay far more than other brands because I'm producing super small amounts and that's ok because we have the unique advantage of selling directly to the customer where other brands rely on a distributor system and have to cut a ton of people in.
Factories build my stuff at their leisure. I'm also a major pain in the ass to deal with so call me Mr. Mendokusai (pain in the butt), but we compensate them well for their best work, we want the person that makes them make good $$$ from us, and we want to make their names known globally.
In this post I'm going to answer questions and show you how things have progressed we can talk makers, we can talk the who's and wheres and then next week expect big announcements from us.
I may change my mind on things; I may change it all or adjust the brands positioning I have no idea but lets just participate in something that's real for once.
One more thing.
Every club is made in Japan; Materials, Finish, Paint, shaft labels, ok not the putter head covers but you get it, and many brands outsource the parts then assemble in Japan just to say those words.

Let the party begin...

I guess my first question is.. why the name SEVEN? :P

I can't start from the very beginning because I don't have those prototypes anymore.

I wanted to make an MB version of the TourStage Maru Wedge so I contracted a factory in Ichikawa Japan to produce some prototypes

post-18-0-74180900-1457065225_thumb.jpg

This was the raw shape pre grinding, it's an S15C head with a CNC + hand ground back face. Everything was all go with a couple of sets until it came time to finish these, when finishing is done satin or mirror of just about any type they have to hand polish it and because of this bump no finishing house in Japan could get the polishing belt to do a good job due to the corners of the bump. This left me with only 1 option a coating like teflon black or black oxide and I wanted satin so the design was scraped.

Perhaps I'll bring it back one day for fun, it was super soft, very forgiving and small, very sharp and edgy.

Had to scrap this wedge for the same reason, maybe one day it will come back if we just want to do an iron/wedge in black oxide only. This is why the Maru wedge only came in black oxide. The maru wedge inspired me to make these I always thought it was such a simple and clean shape...

Just writing this makes me want to put it back on the table again. A few full sets were made of the blade & wedges but are now in storage collecting.

post-18-0-27892100-1457065879_thumb.jpg

I guess my first question is.. why the name SEVEN? :P

Years back it was known as SEVEN HILLS, Before Rome existed it was basically SEVEN small hills with villages as they each grew they all merged into one city.

Recently this name has brought me inspiration...

A fun side convo is that Himeji has a lot of clans I like to say, it can be like a high school drama at times, people who used to work together that for some reason or another now won't speak to each other.. I'm talking generations so cmon it's time to get over that, the kids of the parents who had the argument should squash it and shake hands and try to lift Himeji/Ichikawa into the manufacturing power it once was.

You will see next week what we are trying to do.

tourtage marus...................

what a great simple design and what outstanding wedges they still are. can definitely see the linage in yr moulds.

I think u cud do worse that reel out that blade shape above one day .

I love the look of it

Like this would be nice but not realistic for the factory.

Would this blade be worth it in only black oxide though?

post-18-0-39760900-1457067557_thumb.jpg

Or raw? Looks sweet!

hmmmmmmmmmm black oxide kinda doenst work on irons I think they tend to get marked too quickly from whaat ive seen .. raw. now theres a point.. yea... cplof coatings of corrosion X and they are sweet for ever.

no off set..... ever..,

I love the process and can't wait to see where it ends up. If you still want to do a raw set of the Maru design I'd be a fan! ;)

Tourstage Marus... Wow.

I will be your fan now.

These! The only set of Marus done in Satin, I remember because I had George Takei refinish them for me with his factory contact back in the day. Only issue was they were super duper light weight if I recall.

Do they belong to you now Haovictor? They used to be mine! I'm sure they have gone through a lot of hands, anyhow these hold a special place in my heart, if you send them to me I will refinish them free of charge to you just cover shipping!

Ok so let's take it a little further, we wanted to do a CB so we reached out to a little factory called Fujimoto Gikoh, makers of believer and many other small brand, this was the third factory we worked with in regards to seven, here is the early first gen proto of the original seven CB.

post-18-0-34338700-1457087845_thumb.jpg

Don't worry it all starts to get a lot prettier after this.

So somewhere in our conversations the factory didn't understand that we wanted a 3D effect in the cavtiy so this is when we started doing CAD renderings of all sorts to help the CNC team take the project to the next level.

post-18-0-80082500-1457088183_thumb.jpg

Great thread, Chris! Explains a lot. I'll look forward to next week... ;=]

The polished blade is a beauty but to my eye the raw hand grind is just as attractive. I like the look of tooling, what about a raw grain satin tataki look?