SEVEN X SHINAGAWA BLADE!

2 minutes ago, nobmontana said:

Got my 4-PW heads last week!!    Standard Nickel Satin Finish w/ Cu underlay.   

Good Lord, these are even better looking in the flesh!     I always wanted to get a set of old Spaldings Top Flites ... but never did since I knew it wouldn't be forgiving enough for me to bag them.    These Shinagawas look very playable!!  I just love the concept of these Neo Classic Muscle backs!!     

I assembled them with Monaco Stiffs soft stepped once and Gripped them with my new "go to" grips , GP MCC+4 in gray. 

Have not had the chance to take them out on the range yet but just bouncing balls off the face,  I can already tell these irons will feel very soft!! 

Can't wait to hit them!!   

Pictures when you can nob

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Got my 4-PW heads last week!!    Standard Nickel Satin Finish w/ Cu underlay.   

Good Lord, these are even better looking in the flesh!     I always wanted to get a set of old Spaldings Top Flites ... but never did since I knew it wouldn't be forgiving enough for me to bag them.    These Shinagawas look very playable!!  I just love the concept of these Neo Classic Muscle backs!!     

I assembled them with Monaco Stiffs soft stepped once and Gripped them with my new "go to" grips , GP MCC+4 in gray. 

Have not had the chance to take them out on the range yet but just bouncing balls off the face,  I can already tell these irons will feel very soft!! 

Can't wait to hit them!!   

ah, this is what kicked the R1s out of the bag. Can't wait to see them.

R1CBs looked great and played great .. but I wanted something a bit more exotic.  I guess.. :) 

hahahaahahah..... you know ur a true forum ho when   a-grind r1s , that wud be known by a total of 3,000 people world wide  are not exotic enough .

classic.

these are really nice irons Nobs.. shaft em well.

Spaulding exotic for you Nobs..

WIN_20170307_19_30_22_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170307_19_29_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170307_19_29_29_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170307_19_28_03_Pro.jpg

Wow!!! that has to be the thinnest top line ever!!  

Sweet spot smaller than a Jujube candy?  

That's a freakin butterknife! 

Had a quick range session with my highly "Exotic" :)  Shinagawas last night ..   I only brought PW, 8 and 6 with me. 

At address, top line is not scary thin like those vintage Top Flites :) ,   but thinner than your typical cavity backs.  Off set is minimal..   I like the slightly pointy toe.    Overall looks compact  (and it actually is)  but still looks friendly enough for a mid handicapper to use.   I think anyone who is comfortable using the likes of Epon 302 or Mizuno MP 64 would be able to use these with no issues.    From a forgiveness perspective, I think these may be as forgiving as the R1CBs, no joke. 

First couple of hits with the PW.. missed the sweep spot .. I do this with new clubs!    My previous set used MCI Black 100  .. In this one, I have TT Monaco Stiffs Soft Stepped x 1 .    So it's 15 to 20 g heavier than the MCI blacks ..  my body needs to adjust to the heavier swing feel.     3rd shot hit the middle.   "Ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......   frozen sweet butter!!"    I could do this all day long!   I mean Monacos are not necessarily known for feel.   You need to be careful with what to pair them with or it can feel clicky.  I kinda took my chances using these shafts but I was pretty confident it was going to work out since these heads being S20C + Copper underlay ..  had to be the softest feeling ever, right?     Also considering the low quality "Strata"  range balls in 40 deg weather,  the feel off the face is phenomenal!   Can't wait to hit them with real balls. 

Surprisingly, distances that show on my Yupitel meter were pretty good.    Similar distances to what I had with the R1CB/MCI Black combo which is a bit surprising since the lofts should be a bit weaker on these and the added shaft weight should have slowed my swing speed a bit.   More measures needed to confirm but I was getting about 170 yards carry with my 6 iron.       

Trajectory is nice and high;  Even the 6 iron is very easy to launch ..we'll see how the 5 and 4 irons behave for me.    Workability is good.   A bit more sensitive to draws than the R1CBs probably because of the shorter toe to heel.     

After hitting a sweet feeling shot,   I usually look at where I hit the ball on the face to confirm the position of the sweet spot.    Then I flip over to take a glance the back face...    "Dang!! these look good !!"  

Hit the rest of the irons during lunch break. 

4 iron definitely a bit tougher than the R1CB with the MCI Black....    I think mainly due to the weight difference. 

But not as difficult as I thought.   I have used 23 deg driving irons in my sets before ... but I think I will give it a go with this 4 iron for now.  

In any case,  what a joy to hit! 

Nobs, I need you to keep these irons for longer than half a season. Sure would love to see in person. I'll trade the spauldings for the SP blue's to put in  the v200.

Yeah.. what's with this weather out here.   I understand it's not like this every year .. but this is not much different from the freezing March in Montana.      I was hoping that we'll be in full bloom golfin mode by now.     but definitely,  let's all get together for a round soon!!  

• 2 weeks later...

This is a photo of the stock seven MB.  The 2nd runs which are what is shipping now all come standard with copper underlay and nicr satin finish.

DSC03262.png

Got to show my Shinagawas to Dr Shanks and Cuistot today. 

But most of all,  the course Pro ( who I know from playing together a few times last year )   was simply amazed at my irons!!  

This was actually my first round with them on the course and the feel was so much better with real balls.    

I currently use TM Lethals and they are somewhat clicky but not with these irons.   Had a nice sticky sensation at impact. 

I now want to try a softer ball like a B330S with them.    Should produce a marshmallow soft feel

• 9 months later...

I've have been a lurker for over a year just can't stop coming back to these. If anyone would be interested in posting a topline pic of the PW it would be appreciated. I WILL have these in my bag for the start of my 2018 season in Ohio. Just a goregoeus classic iron style! BB 

• 3 weeks later...

This is photo from TSG blog. These are point and shoot no messing around. Finishes available are amazing.

ugh I want a set so badly.. only irons I would swap my current ones for