Tip weights in irons?

wedda

Hi guys,

I just bought new iron heads and going to shaft them up with my Shimadas..
My wedges are d5-d6 and currently my PW is d1.. I want to add 5 swingweights but I've heard adding more than 8 grams of tipweights is not that great to ironshafts...

What is your take on this? Is 10 grams totally fine as tipweights for irons? Or should I just go wtih 8? or even just 6? =)

Lighter grips? I personally prefer 6 maybe 7g tip weights max.

The thing is I use the masda grips so they are 50 grams each.. And I'm moi-matching the clubs, hence, the need to tipweight some.. But maybe I should just go with 6 grams then.. Does the club feel strange with more than 6 gram? =)

Being a natural draw ball i always believed more heel biased weight accentuated it even more. I could be wrong.

First thing to do is to weigh the new iron heads. Most heads are lighter than standard. If so they would require even more weight.

how about adding a quarter inch in length and 6g in tip, that should get u where u want to be

how about adding a quarter inch in length and 6g in tip, that should get u where u want to be

The thing is im going to moi match them.. Hence adding length is not an option.. But I will buy 6 grams instead of 8 and 10.. seems like everyone think its better? =)

You are talking about adding 4g more (6g instead of 10g) to an iron head that weighs approx 245g (this is a 1.6% weight change in a 4i). This gets even less significant as you go down to a PW (approx 290g 1.38%)

In most iron heads you are talking about a COG located 28mm to 30.5mm from the shaft axis. The additional 4g is going to move this COG approx 0.466mm towards the hosel in a 4i. (0.4mm in a PW)

Personally (I use 10g occasionally), I don't notice the difference.

Cheers,

ben