LOOP Shafts!

loop_slider.jpg

A new shaft company is born - LOOP by syncagraphite and while we originally new about them via word in Japan LOOP shafts have caught our closer attention since trying these shafts at a demo session in Tokyo last month, what was most interesting is how stable and heavy they felt yet to our surprise the specs were actually lighter and softer than the result led us to believe and, for this reason, we knew it would be a great addition to the stable of shafts TSG has to offer.

DSC03506-Edit.jpg

Many shafts use multi-axis weave designs where as LOOP uses a UD (Uni-Directional) Material, multi-axis doesn't require as much care in hand rolling construction as well as the multi-axis weaves have a material called penny-whistle or tin-whistle to fill the many gaps, UD (Uni-Directional) Material is a much more pure and complete carbon with no gaps or fillers it is also stronger and more expensive to produce a more consistent shaft using genuine materials. Click Read More to Continue...

Designed by M.Hashimoto - Each LOOP shaft bares the name M.Hashimoto, so you wonder who he is, how about who SHE is! Known as the Jewel of the shaft industry, from her hands countless major victories have been achieved as a 30+ year veteran of the trade who is without a doubt the best at what she does.. as well as a cute little old lady

GD0011121380-Edit.jpg

In an industry dominated by men, it's pretty amazing to see a woman with so much insight and knowledge about shaft performance for even the strongest of players. Many shaft companies have tried to hire her and her best friend (a man) not married to each other just long time friends from the very beginning more than 30 years ago, these two stay together and do their best work together.

The company that has landed this duo LOOP by syncagrahpite and put bluntly they hit the jackpot and are ver lucky as money alone could not acquire them; all the top shaft brands have tried and the bottom line is if you have these two as part of your team your making damn good shafts no matter what. They are responsible for the best years of so many famous shaft companies it's ridiculous.

GD0011121431.jpg

Both Ms. Hasimoto-san & Mr. Takahashi-san the dynamic duo I like to call them have a combined 60+ years hand rolling shafts with a philosophy of emphasizing accuracy and constant shaft movement minimizing energy loss and this is why they believe their method of hand making shafts using UD (Uni-Directional) Materials is the best. While Multi-Axis provides stability in many directions it is not as strong or pure as UD in it's intended direction you can also lay UD in specific patterns using to cover any extra directions needed although this method is more difficult and expensive to produce it's the way many of the special shafts produced one off for the worlds best players have been made.

Another important aspect of the dynamic duo's design philosophy is extreme reproducibility so the player can consistently recreate that same great result over and over again for more both distance and accuracy.

DSC03381-Edit.jpg

One thing I want to talk about that's important is the shaft's presentation, TSG knows the various finishing houses in Japan that do shaft graphics, you may think some brands look great but when you inspect it closer at a macro level the text is fuzzy or the paint is blotchy and even worse chip and flake, not going to name any names but there are a couple of brands that have a more than 30% finish defect rate. LOOP shafts are finished out of the industry and with a discerning eye you notice the quality of their matte finish vs. others or how the text is clear with sharp edges or the metallic flake in the colors is vibrant and not bumpy. Pay attention to the details because they matter.

DSC03491-Edit.jpg

Above a PROTOTYPE shaft in a non-retail color it's so beautiful.

Below a shot of Ms. Hashimoto-san preparing prepreg for layering.

4J8A0162.jpg

It's not an easy process; one would think especially a man that hand rolling a shaft is a piece of cake just takes a tiny iron a ruler right? Well, not all designs or hand rollers are the same, there is an incredible range of variation between two different people producing the same design, and this will show up in the CPM's and even the shafts results on the golf course.

At more than a couple brands I've had conversation with people while they roll shafts as if it were nothing, then others who are so focused they can't even have you watching them without causing a distraction, so the point is those who are casual with this art produce casual results and all the best crafters I've known are not casual about anything they are maniacal and passionate about what they do as the produce their name.

4J8A0195.jpg

In the second image of this post you can see the UD (Uni-Directional) Material after rolling it's a high gloss look after that the shafts are ground smooth and inspected heavily during this process, again and again, this is done to prep the shaft well for finishing a poorly prep shaft not only becomes defective in finish but also performs poorly and on display I saw many major OEM shafts that had unnatural curves to them from well casual workers.

DSC03499-Edit.jpg

The result is total smoothness and consistency, after this, it's further refined via hand sanding and checked over and over for complete roundness by eye/hand/and machine.

DSC03509-Edit.jpg

Below a photo of perfectly round shaft mandrels.

DSC03511-Edit.jpg

LOOP's latest release the PROTOTYPE FW SIX - it's 68 grams in stiff but when testing this shaft I thought it was heavier, with LOOP due to the UD (Uni-Directional) Material and it's designed structure as mentioned at the very start of this post they feel heavier, seem firmer, than what the weight and torque leads you to believe they would play, one common misconception and one of hardest things to dispel from westerners shaft logic is torque/weight/flex you know how it is the guy who should be playing regular is playing stiff, or someone with poor swing mechanics thinks torque is the cure or that two shafts that have similar weight, torque numbers, should perform the same, people this is the wrong way to go about shafts its not only wrong it's preventing the player of finding the proper shaft for their swing ultimately wasting their cash.

DSC03416-Edit.jpg

It's about shaft structure, design, materials and the methods used in making them and, of course, brands don't disclose this information but once you let go of everything you think you know only then are you able to learn new things, I don't know what another way to put this but forget what you think you know about shafts as technology has changed the field and so has various hand crafters.

DSC03471-Edit.jpg

So here is the big question: How do you find the perfect shaft for your swing? That's the million dollar question, right? Straight up it's not an easy thing to do TSG monitors our customers satisfaction ratings of products usually after 45 days of purchase we send our thousands of customers a feedback email to input their opinion positive or negative on their purchase, we see what brands are easy to fit, what brands are hard and what brands produce the best results. Success rate & Failure rates are important to us. You can buy the wrong shaft from a company that makes your perfect shaft and not be happy so what TourSpecGolf is doing is working together with LOOP to produce a fitting form that we send to LOOP for the advice of their factory manager in regards to fitting this greatly increases your chances of finding the best shaft within the brand for your type of swing.... just don't exaggerate on the fitting form please there are so many 200lb 6ft tall men who hit it no more than 220yds due to swing mechanics who would rather claim to hit it 280 for their ego. That will mess your fitting form up. Remember forget what you know so you can be open to learning something new.

DSC03513-Edit.jpg

(above) The shaft oven!

(below) Ms. Hashimoto-san working her magic.

So I hope you enjoyed this brief introduction of LOOP by Syncagraphite for the next couple of weeks we will be highlighting the brand shaft model by shaft model not just tossing out a ton of options for you to gloss over we will talk about each shaft in an individual post who that shaft is for and what type of player should be using it, beyond that in the TourSpecGolf Forum we will be running a LOOP Custom Fitting Thread to help players see and learn more about what models have worked for others or not.

Enjoy the rest of our photos and look for the continuation of our LOOP coverage coming later this week!

GD0011121146-1.jpg

4J8A0245.jpg

DSC03456-Edit.jpg

DSC03379-Edit.jpg

4J8A0251.jpg

DSC03521-Edit.jpg

4J8A0278.jpg

are they in the same ballpark or rarified air as 7D ? And what about costs ?

wow talk about quality! Chris anything in the mid 70's gram weight wise for a driver?

Go with the CL - http://www.tourspecgolf.com/loop-prototype-cl-driver-shaft

But as mentioned earlier we are doing custom fitting forms for this brand, we want to make sure people get the right shaft as it's a new brand and we are trying to keep the customer satisfaction ratings as high as possible.

Also as mentioned LOOP is a bit different compared to other shafts, you may think you want mid 70's but if I gave you a 65g CL and told you it was 75g you wouldn't know the difference.

The biggest thing I notice is that the tips kick forward and not in a turning motion also it has a different yet similar sensation to 7D where the shaft feels like it kicks totally different than most other shafts.

I was told by the shop owner when I demoed these shafts that this lady used to work for Crazy and split away...

Yes both worked for Crazy for some time, the 2 shaft companies they were with before are big ones I've been asked not to talk about that. I will say that the last major won for this duo by a shaft they produced was in 2013.

If anyone is interested the driver shafts are 600 and the fairway wood shafts are 420.

We start by talking with you about which shaft you and I think would best fit you then we have a custom fitting form we send to the factory manager to see what they advise based on your info.

[email protected]

I was supposed to test my Ray V with a LOOP today at the range but things got hectic.

Also as mentioned LOOP is a bit different compared to other shafts, you may think you want mid 70's but if I gave you a 65g CL and told you it was 75g you wouldn't know the difference.

That was my experience. I assumed that I was hitting a 75g shaft and it was the 58g SX HD model.

Yes both worked for Crazy for some time, the 2 shaft companies they were with before are big ones I've been asked not to talk about that. I will say that the last major won for this duo by a shaft they produced was in 2013.

Adam Scott US Masters?

Chris, what's the lightest (actual) shaft they make?

The Syncagraphite website mentions Custom Made to order.... is this an option?

Chris, what's the lightest (actual) shaft they make?

It's called the Bubble Light it's 48 grams in stiff flex. If you go to the 53g range it's called the BW which is probably more what your looking for as the bubble is for seniors and ladies the BW is anti right, higher launching with a softer yet forward pushing tip kick.

The Syncagraphite website mentions Custom Made to order.... is this an option?

No they do not make custom shafts this means that when you order a shaft it's made to order they roll it fresh.