A-GRIND Y-PROTO

Right now A-Grind has a total of 3 drivers in their line up, the Classic 350, 440cc, and now the new Y-PROTO

A-Grind Classic 350 - This driver is very small, it has a low trajectory and muted feel at impact. It's geared to the absolute golf purest who still loves the smaller shaped heads and those low shooting less forgiving drivers of past, TSG suggest it for the low handicap purest golfer.
A-Grind 440 - This one is for most people from mid/high handicaps to even low handicap players it's 440cc with a deep face and low center of gravity combined with low spin, it's forged face feels very soft and the club features a mid/high trajectory. It's available in a light weight or heavy weight spec in 9.5 and 10.5 lofts.
And now on to the new Y-PROTO...
A-Grind Y-PROTO Driver - This new A-Grind driver is an interesting one it's 410cc's with a shallow face design and standard open face angle. It was designed with the input from JPGA player Yasuharu Konno who has 7 JPGA victories. The concept of this driver is easy to hit yet easy to shape shots, it's shallow face and optimal forward and mid CG location combined with strong lofts 9*/10* produce a piercing mid/high trajectory.
While being 410cc's it has bigger footprint when looking down at it from address due to the flattening of the head to create a more shallow face it gives the appearance of forgiveness for more confidence to the player.
The 9* comes standard with a 1* open face angle while the 10* features a 1.5* open face angle, head weight is 200g and with a 58.5* lie angle.
TSG is offering these as heads only or you can get in touch with us via email [email protected] for a custom build with the best shafts & grips Japan has to offer.

DSC06421-Edit.png

DSC06415-Edit.png

DSC06409-Edit.png

DSC06393-Edit.png

DSC06419-Edit.png

DSC06399-Edit.png

I am using the A Grind 5 wood, it produces a low penetrating flight and gives me good distance. (Carry + roll)

I am expecting more of the same with this driver.

I got to hit this driver last week for the first time, and my first reaction was that it's like a higher launching T.388. Chris is right that it doesn't appear small at address, for the reasons he describes. I tend to favor shallow faced drivers over deep faced, so this one felt natural on first hit for me.

Per another discussion thread, I was curious as to whether an open faced driver would make a difference to me. I like to work the ball, and prefer a draw, or rather to be able to produce a draw when I want to. I have to play this baby a few more times to be sure on that. It did seem easier to fade than draw, but I was able to get a nice baby-d out of it once.

As to carry and roll out, nothing -- and I mean nothing -- still compares to the T.388 for me, and I have my doubts that anything ever will. But the Y-Proto has a wonderful feel and sound of its own, and the higher ball flight gives it a nice versatility. It doesn't have quite the super soft "thwack" that the 440 gives off on contact, but then the 440 is one of the softest feels off the face I've come across.

In sum, as with everything that seems to come from Ako-san's hands, this Y-proto has its own special character and really performs. Doesn't hurt that it's gorgeous to look at, too.

Definitely the 440 is more forgiving. In fact, for me, it's one the most forgiving drivers I've ever hit. Heel, toe, high, or low on the face -- it just goes straight.

And I agree, I'd prefer the matte black look on the Y, too.

Definitely the 440 is more forgiving. In fact, for me, it's one the most forgiving drivers I've ever hit. Heel, toe, high, or low on the face -- it just goes straight.

Thanks for the info mate.

I can only confirm , just love it , but don't forget to shaft it right

• 3 weeks later...

I've been getting questions from players who have a bad shot of a slice or strong left to right ball flight asking if this open faced driver is ok for them, my opinion is to get the 440cc version, the two are similar but the original 440 is just more user friendly all around.

Go Y-Proto if you naturally hit a medium ball flight with a pattern of draw and bad shot of hook. What this will do is give you a mid/high launch and reduces your chances of a hook.