Swing weight on putter

magpies

• 2 weeks later...

"whatever feels good with your stroke" is my thought on this.

I believe more modern putters tend to have heavier head weight and generally come out in the " E " range for standard 34" putters.

Counter balancing also very popular now with longer putters.... so it really comes down to personal preference in my opinion.

I have three anser style puttrs and sw ranges from D9 to E5 but are all 34.5" long.

will inconsistent swing weight on a putter affects the stroke?

Should I match my putters with swing weight or head weight?

i think it honestly depends on the speed of the greens and your overall tempo. a heavier head weight will typically shorten and smooth out the back stroke leading to a smoother roll. in general, and this is not for all players, but with fast greens you will need a heavier head. when you think about it logically, on fast greens you have much less room for error, meaning you need to have the ball on the right line with the right roll in order to make a good putt. on slower greens, you have a greater margin of error.

it took me years and years to figure out what type of putter was best for me and in a way i am still trying to figure it out. play with heavy heads and see how you like it. just give it time and go with what Nob said "whatever feels good with your stroke" (and works of course)

I think overall weight is far more important than swingweight..

At home I have an oldie where the head is 335 grams versus my piretti at 359,99 grams - both have nippon heavy shafts - inside on my mat I get great results from both - even better with the lighter version - however on the course the Piretti with its additional weight just gets me more solid.. I tried counterweighting with 20 - 40 - 60 - 100 grams inside the butt - to me - it felt great for a time then I just switched back.. A lighter head / lower weight TO ME feels better when im putting inside - but once outside and all the other factors play its role - I prefer a heavier head.. Would be interesting to know if the tour pros also had lighter heads prior to the new era? =)

Edited by wedda