Did you Know? (Wedge Lofts)

Lets take it further and talk grinds, does a 60s extra bounce, trailing, heel, and toe grind make it more versatile? only for shorter, higher and more delicate types which are all still specialty in nature while the 58 can act as a semi approach wedge and a lob style wedge.

This is not a what is better conversation, ita a given that the player and circumstances will determine the persons decision. Im just stating you can do a wider range of useful shots for most players with a 58*. And for the most part its easier to hit in more situations.

I tend to agree but only because, regardless of how strong we feel, the reality is that we are not as strong as our feelings are. We more often strike too hard or too soft and all because we are not as strong as we think we are. Rather difficult to explain. Best I can offer is that we know how to hit it and how hard and in what way but the body is still in catch up and still needs the practice regardless of how the mind rules. There are simply too many teeny tiny details like how to pick up the ball and in what way, how much back spin to give and so on to forever. Practice solves many of these problems and a lower loft more often buys you the solution at lesser cost.

Shambles

I'm only Glad I got a 59*.......

Best of both Worlds!!

Guess I shouldn't even mention that I consider my 64* the most "versatile" of the four wedges in my bag... <g>

For me when it comes to the short game, versatility is in the hands of the beholder. (And remember, Seve learned his short game and bunker skills as a kid on a beach with a 3-iron... ;=] )

Ive recently switched to 50 deg and 56 deg....my PW is 46 deg and i had the 5t6 bent to 57 deg...it seems to be working so far.....fastest greens i play are about a 10 so flop shots with the face open work quite well.

what comment was incorrect?

and no 58 is more versatile than 60*.

tour use of 60* doesnt mean a thing when it comes to versatility. it simply means there is more players using that loft on tour. does super open club faces equal more versatility? does X flex shafts? what is used on tour has nothing to do with versatility.

golf digest usa and japan back this up, as do many other articles but all those aside cant you see via manipulation of the club 56/58/60 as options are more versatile than 58/60/62?

I cannot see that, as I've said in a few previous posts and we'll leave it at that. It's not like I'm saying don't carry another wedge but a 60*. I don't see the X flex and super open club faces as really being an apples to apples comparison either, I can hit a wedge like bubba but not a driver so I pay more attention to what those guys are using in wedges.

I play 52/56/62, but my choice of 52/56 are really strong flighted wedges to make sure distance gaps are good. Have a good short game so the 62* (JP Vokey Forged) is for tight pins, hard bunkers and high lobs mostly.

Works for me, and 50/58 combos I have tried, but are never versatile enough...

Meh, I can use a PW from anywhere 110m or 12 ft shortside over a bunker out of the rough, then sink the put with it...very versatile club ;)

Seriously though, I use 52/58 for that exact reason, I find this combination to be the most versatile when playing semi traditional lofted irons. Cant think of a situation when one of these has not been the right choice.

Edited by hutchy

When I first picked up the game I only played a 48/56 for years. Was still a student then so didn't have the $ to put another wedge in the bag. I pretty much used that 56 for everything inside 100yds. Practiced A LOT with the 56 around the house and at the course/chipping range and became very proficient at hitting any shot I needed, knock-down burners, wide open flops, etc. But that was a time when I did practice a TON with the wedge and balata balls were still not yet phased out.

Now I play 48/54/60. I don't practice much now and am nowhere near as good opening up the wedge. I mostly play wedge shots square to the target now, so the 60 is invaluable when I need loft. Damn...I really miss balatas...not so much shredding them after 1 wedge shot though.

If my irons have traditional lofts ending with a PW at 47* or 48* then I play 52*, 56* and 60*

If I have a set with stronger lofts ending in 45* PW then I play 50*, 54* and 58*

In both cases the highest loft is the used club in my bag. Playing in the UK I've always played more running chips than throwing it straight at the flag. The lob wedges are really only for when there's a bunker or small tree between me and the green and are never full shots

My favourite wedge is 54 and I practice with it all the time. I can do everything with it from bump and run to flop shot to super-soft-landing bunker save.

I usually carry 50/54/58. 50 for approach shot. 58 is rarely used except in extreme situations. The higher the loft the less margin for error.

• 2 weeks later...

Sergio won last weekend with:

48-Degree Wedge: TaylorMade PSi Tour (Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120X shaft)
52-Degree Wedge: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF Tour Grind (Nippon N.S. Pro Modus Tour 130X shaft)
58-Degree Wedge: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF Tour Grind (Nippon N.S. Pro Modus Tour 130X shaft)

As for me, I would prefer a 58 but have trouble with anything over 56. If I played lush CC fairways, I could probably do better with the 58, but sun baked Texas hardpan bermuda can be more difficult to deal with. So looks like I may be headed toward 51/53(or 54)/56 or just 51/56.

Rory won last weekend with:

47-Degree Wedge: Nike Engage (Royal Precision Project X 6.5 shaft)

52-Degree Wedge: Nike Engage (Royal Precision Project X 6.5 shaft)
56-Degree Wedge: Nike Engage (Royal Precision Project X 6.5 shaft)
59-Degree Wedge: Nike Engage (Royal Precision Project X 6.5 shaft)

Use of a PW which does not match the iron set is the direction I will also be going. Why do they insist on making over sized PWs even on so-called Players sets where most of the other irons are smaller than average?

Edited by donnieu

that's a damn good point the pw is the most horrible club I nthe bag.
but try selling a set of clubs 5-9!

the 47 or 48 wedge is really a much better option. bec its a proper wedge the pw is basically a bag filler.

I hate them.

The A-Grind blade PW has turned out to be the most magical iron in my bag -- so much so that I've been able to pull the gap wedge out completely. Don't know why exactly, I always changed a PW for a specific 47 or 48 before. But then I'm playing on Kikuya these days... for which the whole A-Grind line has just plain clicked for me.