Zero Offset Irons

Hi All,

What's out there for zero offset irons? I had a set of Maruman Tour M irons w/o offset and also a set of Scratch TD's w/o offset.

Thought I'd try the 716 CB's, but even that little offset now messes with my eye...to the point of hitting the odd 'lateral fade'

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

I've seen a few sets that had onset which is about extreme as u can get but they were taylormade tour issue stuff......not sure if any JDM sets have zero offset.....

Don't do zero offset, first because it requires specific molds created to get a true 0 offset in the long and mid irons (short is no problem). Second all brands have offset for a reason it makes clubs easier to hit. I get this request somewhat often and it's always the claim "my eye can't stand offset". trust me it's there for a reason and by FP #'s the difference between 5.0 vs 5.5 vs 6.0 FP is so small visually but has a big impact performance if you think zero is the solution your kidding yourself. Even if your on the PGA tour in the top 5 you will notice FP helps in long/mid irons.

But if you must you must so Mizuno Yoro and Miura can be pushed to crank the heads enough to get you close.

The original molds of long/mid irons have more offset so cranking them to none before grinding causes a strange look, short irons can be made with zero offset and some PW's with onset if you like.

Don't do zero offset, first because it requires specific molds created to get a true 0 offset in the long and mid irons (short is no problem). Second all brands have offset for a reason it makes clubs easier to hit. I get this request somewhat often and it's always the claim "my eye can't stand offset". trust me it's there for a reason and by FP #'s the difference between 5.0 vs 5.5 vs 6.0 FP is so small visually but has a big impact performance if you think zero is the solution your kidding yourself. Even if your on the PGA tour in the top 5 you will notice FP helps in long/mid irons.

But if you must you must so Mizuno Yoro and Miura can be pushed to crank the heads enough to get you close.

The original molds of long/mid irons have more offset so cranking them to none before grinding causes a strange look, short irons can be made with zero offset and some PW's with onset if you like.

I've done very, very close to zero in the past with custom builds and it just suits my eye.

What suggestions do you have with close to zero in your store?

I've done very, very close to zero in the past with custom builds and it just suits my eye.

What suggestions do you have with close to zero in your store?

Very close is what? how many mm?

As I mentioned you can't go zero or even what I consider "very close to zero" unless the molds are made to do this.

My guess is what you thought was zero was not zero in the long/mid irons.

Scratch zero offset or taylormade onset is the closest I've had then...anything close to that?

TM Onset

Scratch ZO

KZG ZO

none of these are technically zero offset.

zero offset would be like having 6.0FP 3-PW. Onset about 6.5-7.0FP

So if your looking for minimal offset like those Mizuno or Miura custom grinds can get it close.

Yes, I understand that there's no such thing as zero offset in any set I'm likely to find. Just what I, and most every other golfer, would perceive zero offset to look like is what I'm after.

Sorry for not having used the correct terminology. Every iron has some offset, but I want the ones that trick my brain into thinking there isn't any...fair? Lol

I'll continue my search for a modern alternative 'minimal offset' to ones I've already played. Seems there are a couple options in your store even.

Thanks to all those who chimed in.

Yes, I understand that there's no such thing as zero offset in any set I'm likely to find. Just what I, and most every other golfer, would perceive zero offset to look like is what I'm after.

Sorry for not having used the correct terminology. Every iron has some offset, but I want the ones that trick my brain into thinking there isn't any...fair? Lol

I'll continue my search for a modern alternative 'minimal offset' to ones I've already played. Seems there are a couple options in your store even.

Thanks to all those who chimed in.

May I ask what happens when you play moderate offset irons? I assume your a very good player and most better players I know seem to hit almost anything well.

I play to a 4 these days...and as you'd expect it can be very good, or not so great (by my standards). Was as low as a +1.7, 7-10 years ago when I was playing regular, competitive golf. Certainly familiar with what it is to play good golf and go low; but that was then and this is now :) Not trying to pump myself up, but just painting more of a complete picture for you. Ball striking has always trumped my short game.

It's honestly a mental thing for me this offset issue. I just can't get comfortable over my current irons as I see more offset in them than there actually is. This, in turn, affects my ability to make a good pass at the ball as I feel I'm having to manipulate the offset with my swing/hands. That's the best way I can describe it...so much so, infact, that I've gotten wayyyyy out of position from time to time at the top of my swing - resulting in those dreaded 'lateral fades'.

I'm also a picker of the ball. Seeing a square leading edge coming from the hosel just suits my eye and inspires confidence. I had a set of the 714 CB's prior to this, but am just getting back into more regular play. Thought I'd upgrade to the 716s after the glowing reviews. No doubt they're good - but if I'm not comfortable, I'm not comfortable.

So I hit the 716s 'well' most of the time, but feel I'm leaving something on the table not feeling 100% comfortable.

I play to a 4 these days...and as you'd expect it can be very good, or not so great (by my standards). Was as low as a +1.7, 7-10 years ago when I was playing regular, competitive golf. Certainly familiar with what it is to play good golf and go low; but that was then and this is now :) Not trying to pump myself up, but just painting more of a complete picture for you. Ball striking has always trumped my short game.

It's honestly a mental thing for me this offset issue. I just can't get comfortable over my current irons as I see more offset in them than there actually is. This, in turn, affects my ability to make a good pass at the ball as I feel I'm having to manipulate the offset with my swing/hands. That's the best way I can describe it...so much so, infact, that I've gotten wayyyyy out of position from time to time at the top of my swing - resulting in those dreaded 'lateral fades'.

I'm also a picker of the ball. Seeing a square leading edge coming from the hosel just suits my eye and inspires confidence. I had a set of the 714 CB's prior to this, but am just getting back into more regular play. Thought I'd upgrade to the 716s after the glowing reviews. No doubt they're good - but if I'm not comfortable, I'm not comfortable.

So I hit the 716s 'well' most of the time, but feel I'm leaving something on the table not feeling 100% comfortable.

Understood sir and thank you, email me if you need custom ground Miura or Mizuno's.

Congrats on your skills :) hope you get the cap back down again.

Mizuno Yoro is your answer. I have a set with as little offset as possible (still there's offset presence but non visually). Believe me, offset is good. I've been playing the Personal 2 for so long now that I can no longer hit Mizuno Yoro that consistent anymore.

Understood sir and thank you, email me if you need custom ground Miura or Mizuno's.

Congrats on your skills :) hope you get the cap back down again.

I will reach out if need be! Thanks.

Please, no congratulations...I had to work very, very hard to get where I was. Many that were, and are, far, far superior. The waters sure run deep :) I'm happy with my level of play these days because I can't expect much more quite frankly.