My "Glowing" Review on Modarts New Driver - MA01D+R

Well photos anyway the review is in the blog.

How is this one different?

All previous modart drivers are 435cc's while the new MA01D+R is 460

Previous modart drivers are mid trajectoy/low spin, this new MA01D+R is mid/high trajectory with low spin

This driver is designed for play over 45" in length.

Modart-MA01D+R-Driver6.jpg

Modart-MA01D+R-Driver10.jpg

Modart-MA01D+R-Driver3.jpg

Modart-MA01D+R-Driver2.jpg

Modart-MA01D+R-Driver8.jpg

Modart-MA01D+R-Driver5.jpg

Modart-MA01D+R-Driver7.jpg

Modart-MA01D+R-Driver1.jpg

8.5 loft?! you dont see those much these days.

How would you compare this against the Grandista head? looks a bit more shallower, I guess.

What are the negatives using this head in a shorter 45" spec? ( with heavier weight head, obviously )

Draw bias?

This is what I asked due to that little weight, his answer wasn't exactly clear imo. He said that this head will square up the club face very easily but will not hook. To me I thought draw biased.

But we had a great time at a many brand demo day with lots of average to great players and what he said checks out, guys who have a bad shot of hook actually hooked it less than many other clubs that were definitely not draw biased.

8.5 loft?! you dont see those much these days.

How would you compare this against the Grandista head? looks a bit more shallower, I guess.

What are the negatives using this head in a shorter 45" spec? ( with heavier weight head, obviously )

To me this appeared to be part of my same question, he said the club head squares up easier with a longer length so going to 46" will help a person who wants to hit a draw while going shorter will help a person who wants to hit a fade.

Compared to the grandista face height seems similar depth to slightly more shallow, it's hard to judge as it's a different shape and finish.

Anyway I'm moving this into my bag, I will get 2 and foam one and play one at 45.5" and the other at 44.5". One with a 7D Ginza the other with a LOOP BW SX.

Sounds like the way the 388 was described when it hit the scene. That works both ways also.

This looks very nice, I found the first released very fade bias. Other than that the feel, distance and ease of use was great, just couldnt stop them going right.

The Modart DS is 440cc......not a fan of this head shape, i like the deep deep look myself

• 4 weeks later...

Arrrgghh... starting to think I should actuallty go with this head instead of the ZY7 to pair it with my7D shaft.

Chris, how would you compare ZY7 vs this +R? Probably very different all together...

How are the Sound , Feel and Forgiveness?

Nob-san, I am trying to decide exactly the same as you between the two heads. I do love the feel of hitting the Modart heads in general, but am wondering if the ZY-07 will be more forgiving. I look forward to Chris' comments on these two as I have not done too well with JBeam heads in the past.

The other thing I like about this driver compared to the MA01DS is the toe shape.

I know it sounds crazy but the slightly edgy/ pointy corners around the face actually bothered me on the previous versions.

This one seems rounded off around the face and really looks good.

I have had my head for a week and still waiting for my shaft to arrive :-)

Now I learn there is a non conforming on the way : /

Never look back ; )

Life is too short for stop buying drivers :tsg_smiley_drool:

So this non-conforming head... does it have a swing speed limit like they do with the other super thin faced drivers?

So this non-conforming head... does it have a swing speed limit like they do with the other super thin faced drivers?

Yes they shouldnt be played over 98-100mph tops, the conforming is SP700 while non conforming is DAT55"G". ( dont buy non G Im told ).

But TSG has finally collaborated and is nearing completion with a company to offer very high quality driver face shaves, re score lineing, face refinishing back to black or silver and laser logo faces. Turning conforming drivers into High COR done in Japan. Will announce in weeks.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing back an old post ,  but just got myself Modart woods and wanted to add my review. 

First Impressions: 

• Head is not shallow as I thought,   it's actually semi deep. 
  • 460cc but hides the size well.   (not bulky ) 
  • Has a pear shaped appearance at address.  ( not round like JBeams )
  • Head screams quality!  Looks very expensive and high end!!  

At the range: 

• 9.5 loft has a penetrating flight.  Perhaps could have gone with a higher loft.
  • Flight looks much more low spin than the previous Mizuno... not low enough that it drops but lower just from how the ball flies. 
  • Sound at impact is muted and very well behaved. 
  • Feel is refined and soft with a touch of firmness that can be translated as hot or pop off the face.  
  • The head is supposed to be more draw friendly than its predecessors,  but for me,  it might be the most anti-left head I have had in awhile.   Really have to make deliberate swings from the inside to make it draw.   Normal flight so far is a straight or fade for me. 

My Specs: 

• Head:  9.5deg, 200g, Square face
  • Shaft: Seven Dreamers 
  • Club: 45.5",  320g , D3   

These are top of the crop in terms of high end JDM driver.   Doesn't get better than this.   
No course time yet, but my range sessions have been good.    Really looking forward to taking her out on the course. 

Oh no !   :)    I really hope not! 

I got a matching fairway and hybrid....  and they are equally good!  

I am especially impressed with the Hybrid actually.  It's point and shoot easy and can draw or fade on demand!!   

It has the right amount of responsiveness to different swings!    Loving it! 

Yes, I have tried the original MA01D.   

The MA01D had a different face material compared to the MA01DS and MA01D+R ,  I think it had forged 6-4 Ti    so it had a slightly more crunchy feel where as the SP700 used on the MA01D+R has a softer but hot feel to it. 

I think the forgiveness is significantly different with the +R.     435 vs 460cc ... you know .. you kinda expect it to be different. 

Just received mine today 11,5 degrees 200 gram head - installed it with my Fire express RB - express epoxy.. 1,5 hour later at the range i started hitting this thing..

The head itself is very well done and looks like its stated a mixture of shallow and deep. Just perfect.

The most forgiving JDM head I ever had in my bag - had the ryoma v-spec - yamaha - jbeam 435.

It is worth trying if you are after something forgiving and very sexy.