Why does the Speeder EVO II only cost $250 when other shafts with similar materials cost 3-4 x more?

Mjr. D

I've been going through every shaft on TSG for the past hour and I noticed the Nippon Regio Formula and Speeder EVO II shafts, which are loaded with the best in shaft materials are only $200 and $250 respectively whereas the 3 year old Fujikura Rombax Bangvoo uses slightly less exotic materials and costs $943. Am I missing something?

The world is running out of Bangvoo?

LOLOL. I actually laughed pretty hard at that.

But seriously, anyone know?

All in the Name.....

Bangvoos are great shafts.......Hermes purses are made by leather and so are Michael Kors.......Rolex and Timex have stainless steel models and .....well ......its not just the materials

Edited by robbie

Bangvoos are great shafts.......Hermes purses are made by leather and so are Michael Kors.......Rolex and Timex have stainless steel models and .....well ......its not just the materials

But all do the same job...

You can't buy this game!

The difference is how much of it is used. when a shaft says 80T it doesnt mean full length, I can only think of one full length 80T shaft and its the crazy 9 the others reinforce areas with 80T or so.

Also keep in mind breakage rate of full length high end carbon is very high so they need to work in covering it under warranty.

I am 40 years old. My swing speed for the driver is about 95mph. I have a smooth tempo (my ratio from start to top vs top to impact is about 5.0).
I used to play with a Fujikura 569 Evo 2 (SR) on a Romaro Alpha Gold head (10.5).
When I struck it pure, the the ball flight would be a high trajectory with slight draw. However, in order to get this, I had to have an almost perfectly smooth swing tempo. When I took an aggressive swing, the result is a hard push with mid trajectory (perhaps this is attributed to the tip being soft relative to my swing profile).
I just switched to a 2016 Basileus AAA in 50S with the same head.
My flight now is a mid trajectory with solid draw. The key difference is no matter how aggressive I swing, the flight is exactly the same. The dispersion is much better and more consistent. I no longer have to worry much about my tempo and can swing more freely.
Reading just the description alone:
Fujikura 569 Evo 2 (SR) is:
  • 90T carbon + TT1100G + MCT (MCT standrds for Metal Composite Tech)
  • 58.5 grams with a 4.2 degree torque

2016 Basileus AAA in 50S is:

• High Elasticity Toray T1100G 80T + Boron
  • 56 grams with a 3.1 degree torque

Based on specs alone, the Basileus is lighter and lower torque. Aesthetically the Fujikura is a pretty orange/red pearl color. Its very pretty in person. However the Basileus is black with a fine pin striping. The word Basileus seems to be gold leafing on top of the shaft itself. In my opinion it is of higher quality fit/finish.

Now I don't know if the shaft is worth 4X the amount. That is up to you to decide. For me, I could have gone with the Basileus Leggero and gotten the same results (maybe) and paid half the price as the AAA. However I wanted a shaft that is rare and would "potentially" hold its value longer and have a better trade value due to its limited release.

I am 40 years old. My swing speed for the driver is about 95mph. I have a smooth tempo (my ratio from start to top vs top to impact is about 5.0).
I used to play with a Fujikura 569 Evo 2 (SR) on a Romaro Alpha Gold head (10.5).
When I struck it pure, the the ball flight would be a high trajectory with slight draw. However, in order to get this, I had to have an almost perfectly smooth swing tempo. When I took an aggressive swing, the result is a hard push with mid trajectory (perhaps this is attributed to the tip being soft relative to my swing profile).
I just switched to a 2016 Basileus AAA in 50S with the same head.
My flight now is a mid trajectory with solid draw. The key difference is no matter how aggressive I swing, the flight is exactly the same. The dispersion is much better and more consistent. I no longer have to worry much about my tempo and can swing more freely.
Reading just the description alone:
Fujikura 569 Evo 2 (SR) is:
  • 90T carbon + TT1100G + MCT (MCT standrds for Metal Composite Tech)
  • 58.5 grams with a 4.2 degree torque

2016 Basileus AAA in 50S is:

• High Elasticity Toray T1100G 80T + Boron
  • 56 grams with a 3.1 degree torque

Based on specs alone, the Basileus is lighter and lower torque. Aesthetically the Fujikura is a pretty orange/red pearl color. Its very pretty in person. However the Basileus is black with a fine pin striping. The word Basileus seems to be gold leafing on top of the shaft itself. In my opinion it is of higher quality fit/finish.

Now I don't know if the shaft is worth 4X the amount. That is up to you to decide. For me, I could have gone with the Basileus Leggero and gotten the same results (maybe) and paid half the price as the AAA. However I wanted a shaft that is rare and would "potentially" hold its value longer and have a better trade value due to its limited release.

The amount of material used is the biggest variable here. One could have a lot more than the other.

Also the paint job on the Basileus while delicate is of another level.

One question is there a difference between TT1100G and T1100G or is it a typo?

Typo.

Does anyone know what material seven dreamers uses? I think the performance does not directly correlate with the material used.

For 7D most customers have a different blend of multiple materials and they are using many materials no other shaft companies use. Its all laid out in your design book.

What we call 40/46/50/80/90T is not actually the material itself its the tensile strength.

TT1100G measured the same way is about 50T

My suggestion is to forget about all of it as a 40T shaft can smoke an 80T shaft if its designed well with good tech and manufacturing. There is no way we can say any strength carbon will be better based on its tensile strength

The tensile strength doesnt say much about the materials fibers, strcuture, resins, manufacturing, curing and other factors that are far more important.

Thanks for the explanation, I still think boron has the most distance out of all materials because of the very strong kick it provides.

Actually Boron is the material factories tell me "but why?" as if there is no reason to use it. It's an old material that is heavier and more brittle with inconsistencies than most materials today. Boron like many of the other materials is more marketing than anything else and just because a shaft says boron it doesn't mean its the reason why it works well.

Brands always look for a recognizable technology or label to market over teaching the masses something entirely new and unfamiliar.

What about Kevlar? This Patterson shaft company in the US which does seem to be well received touts full length kevlar in their shafts...

Or Paderson

It's obvious why manufacturers don't give out their secrets, however nobody should doubt Fujikura since they make some of the boutique shafts out there which are hard to beat.

I agree, Fujikura is what I consider #2 with Mitsubishi #3 behind 7D and I think what makes 7D #1 has much to do with the brands overall concept.

Thing is Fuji and Mitsubishi make the most from OEM sales not from high end consumers like 7D does so the philosiphy is totally different.

Of course the shaft has to fit your swing and work well with the build specs and head you choose but Basileus is not near the top. Fujikura & Mitsubishi technologically are far better. Basileus tends to produce softer butt section shafts slightly soft in tip for many models this translates into a nice feel then they follow it up with fancy paint. I know this factory they use for those nice shaft graphics and IF i were a shaft co owner would not use them due to defects and chipping, the work is beautiful but right now Basileus has a 35% failure rate on their finishes.

Well so much for the AAA I was thinking about. Appreciate the honesty!