EPON AF-105?

dnq22

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great driver. Longer than typical Epon drivers but not the longest per say on the market. Feels great with that softer/spongy feel and forgiveness is there. It launched slightly higher than stated for me, so I would take that into account, but overall, very accurate and forgiving driver.

I average about 300+ with the 105. Longest/accurate driver I have ever play. ive tested 103 on LM and this 105 spins ball lower. I get around 2200rpms in AF-105.

post-15212-0-89943000-1463648745_thumb.j

I average about 300+ with the 105. Longest/accurate driver I have ever play. ive tested 103 on LM and this 105 spins ball lower. I get around 2200rpms in AF-105.

What loft did you go for jimmieboy? I had a 10* and launched high want to try Lowe. But I have to say that it is indeed very forgiving

Thank you jimmieboi - great feedback and nice work, that's some real heat.

What about feel? I see you say it is the best in terms of feel but how would you compare it to the 103?

Thanks again for the comments.

What loft did you go for jimmieboy? I had a 10* and launched high want to try Lowe. But I have to say that it is indeed very forgiving

Thanks Spoon. What about you mate - how would you rate it against the 103?

Thanks Spoon. What about you mate - how would you rate it against the 103?

The 103 was less forgiving than the 105.

The 105 for me is longer than the 103

There's no reason to get the 103 now that the 5 is out

I have many who disagree and are going back with the 103 after trying the 105. (not my words) Epon fitter here in oz

Better feel and sound with the 103. Distance not much difference depending on the shaft and the user.

103 looks better made.

I had a choice, 103 or 105 both presented, went with the custom spec 103, for me its the best made epon driver to date.

and has stood the test of time. I have a feeling the 105 will share the same fate as the 153 in a year or so.

KK designed 103 is just stunning and a performer.

Just MO

Butthese things are just awesome, best KK designed driver.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by hutchy

I have many who disagree and are going back with the 103 after trying the 105. (not my words) Epon fitter here in oz

Better feel and sound with the 103. Distance not much difference depending on the shaft and the user.

103 looks better made.

I had a choice, 103 or 105 both presented, went with the custom spec 103, for me its the best made epon driver to date.

and has stood the test of time. I have a feeling the 105 will share the same fate as the 153 in a year or so.

KK designed 103 is just stunning and a performer.

Just MO

Butthese things are just awesome, best KK designed driver.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

To each his own hutch. Glad you guys like the 103

image.jpeg

I've been eyeing the 103 and 105 and also the Kai for a while as an upgrade to my Zero. The 103 can be had for not that much dough but the talk of distance-loss has been bugging me a bit..Don't see many reviews on the Kai either. I agree that the 103 really LOOKS almost perfect. Haven't seen the 105 in person yet.

Edited by Vegaman

Nice crush on that ball..The 103 and 105 were the same loft and shaft combo when you tried them out?

Much of a muchness on most drivers these days, what suits the eye and feels good for you.

I paid the same for a 103 as could have had the 105 knowing fine well the resale would be less on the 103, but I wasnt buying to sell, just to play.

Have the YZ 11 also and if it came down to feel that would be my choice...11* and it still not enough launch and spin for me. By all accounts it is superb for others.

Whats your current gamer Dave?

In terms of sound and feel, i prefer the ZY11 and the Modart DS, the ZY11 is longer and feels better with a more piercing trajectory and is mor forgiving on high and low hits....The Modart is another good sounding driver, it is less forgiving on the face but hits a nice long ball. Finally there is the Epon 105, it is a med spin head that launches on the slightly higher side, forgiveness is avg and its not very long, in fact it is the shortest of all the drivers i have gamed in the last 2 years.

103 feel a tad softer (more butterly) than the 105. This could be the harder face material in the 105. Not that the 105 is harsh, it still retain the signature of Epon feel. 103 spins ball too much for me. I get around 3000+ rpms. I couldn't recall what shaft was in the 103 so a direct comparison would be unjust. I have my 105 in 9.5 degree shafted with KuroKage (best performing shaft for my swing right now) in XT model 60g in X flex. Built mine in 45.25 inch at D2.5 swing weight. I launch the 105 around 10-12 degree launch angle. The Zero Kai spins even less (due to small head profile and CG close to the face) and less forgiving than the 105. I would choose 105 over anything Epon has to offer right now. Before Epons are known for their feel but lacks distance, now with the 105 they are able to incorporate both. One other most important aspect for me choosing the 105, it's one of the very few JDM drivers to have a square face angle at address (most are close even the specs say it's open!).

Not that the 105 is the longest driver out there. It's long but not the longest. I'm talking about +- 5 to 10 yards difference here so it doesn't bother me at all. I'm looking for a club that's workable enough and doesn't punish me if I miss hit a little. An analogy for the 105 to 103 would be the comparison between the Personal 1 and Personal 2. The P2 rectifies every wrong that the P1 has.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find that post Kenji Kobayashi designs are much better than before. 103 to 105, P1 to P2, Zero to Zero Kai.

Edited by jimmieboi

Much of a muchness on most drivers these days, what suits the eye and feels good for you.

I paid the same for a 103 as could have had the 105 knowing fine well the resale would be less on the 103, but I wasnt buying to sell, just to play.

Have the YZ 11 also and if it came down to feel that would be my choice...11* and it still not enough launch and spin for me. By all accounts it is superb for others.

Whats your current gamer Dave?

Hutchy, I have the 103 with the Crazy Black CB-50. I love the feel and the flight I get with this combo and it gives me enough distance so I am not looking to sell it. But I just picked up a nice new shaft and was thinking about putting it in another head. Tossing up between 103 and 105.

103 feel a tad softer (more butterly) than the 105. This could be the harder face material in the 105. Not that the 105 is harsh, it still retain the signature of Epon feel. 103 spins ball too much for me. I get around 3000+ rpms. I couldn't recall what shaft was in the 103 so a direct comparison would be unjust. I have my 105 in 9.5 degree shafted with KuroKage (best performing shaft for my swing right now) in XT model 60g in X flex. Built mine in 45.25 inch at D2.5 swing weight. I launch the 105 around 10-12 degree launch angle. The Zero Kai spins even less (due to small head profile and CG close to the face) and less forgiving than the 105. I would choose 105 over anything Epon has to offer right now. Before Epons are known for their feel but lacks distance, now with the 105 they are able to incorporate both. One other most important aspect for me choosing the 105, it's one of the very few JDM drivers to have a square face angle at address (most are close even the specs say it's open!).

Not that the 105 is the longest driver out there. It's long but not the longest. I'm talking about +- 5 to 10 yards difference here so it doesn't bother me at all. I'm looking for a club that's workable enough and doesn't punish me if I miss hit a little. An analogy for the 105 to 103 would be the comparison between the Personal 1 and Personal 2. The P2 rectifies every wrong that the P1 has.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find that post Kenji Kobayashi designs are much better than before. 103 to 105, P1 to P2, Zero to Zero Kai.

Thank you again Jimmieboi - I enjoyed reading that. I love Epon gear. I especially love the design and feel of their products.

In terms of sound and feel, i prefer the ZY11 and the Modart DS, the ZY11 is longer and feels better with a more piercing trajectory and is mor forgiving on high and low hits....The Modart is another good sounding driver, it is less forgiving on the face but hits a nice long ball. Finally there is the Epon 105, it is a med spin head that launches on the slightly higher side, forgiveness is avg and its not very long, in fact it is the shortest of all the drivers i have gamed in the last 2 years.

Thanks for the insight Robbie. I have not tried the ZY11 or the Modart DS. The EPON 103 was an acquired taste for me - I felt like it was somehow restrained, it wasn't giving me everything it had but the results were relatively strong. Now I love it - feels slightly understated and controlled. Will try to find the ZY11 or the Modart DS and give them a go. Thanks again.

Thanks for the insight Robbie. I have not tried the ZY11 or the Modart DS. The EPON 103 was an acquired taste for me - I felt like it was somehow restrained, it wasn't giving me everything it had but the results were relatively strong. Now I love it - feels slightly understated and controlled. Will try to find the ZY11 or the Modart DS and give them a go. Thanks again.

The ZY11 and Modart DS are great drivers but none can beat the 105 for fairway finding and good golf......so it depends whether u are looking for a good feel...or distance or playability....no magic club has it all so u need to prioritize your wants.....im gaming the 105 with the Modart DS as a backup

Thanks Robbie. I tried the jBEAM FX 435 - it's performance was amazing - very long, straight and penetrating but I preferred the feel of the 103 - I probably should have been more patient with it. It's a personal thing I guess. I am also trialing the Kai but a bit wary. It seems like a wild beat that takes some taming.

Thanks again for the insights Robbie.

if it was all feel and looks and fun, i would be gaming the Epon Zero, but that sucker only behaved on some days