Epon AF-205 & Tour Wedge

Evo II shaft is too soft especially the tip. I would do better in X flex. Shaft may play a major role here for the distance but very few JDM do forged titanium in a compact size FW.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evo II shaft is too soft especially the tip. I would do better in X flex. Shaft may play a major role here for the distance but very few JDM do forged titanium in a compact size FW.

Your right this is essentially a mini driver, the only way Endo can build a FW, Its expensive to make and thats why other companies dont produce FWs with them.

There are many forged cup face FWs and DAT55G fairway woods with titanium or stainless bodies. I personally prefer all stainless or full titanium which is the cheapest but seems to feel the best in a FW with the most predictable results. Right now I favor the Modart, Crazy Full Titan, A-Grind DST/Original and Jbeam TF-FW. I notice Ti heads are longer than the stainless heads but I dont buy 3 woods for distance or the tee box and seek strictly clean contact, straight repeated shots, feel and appearance.

Demo the Af-205 today. Initial impression is very good. Very classic head profile. Unlike other JDM FW, this 205 lie angle isn't too upright and has a square face angle. Made from premium forged titanium so you'll get softer feel than a steel head. Performance is like AF105. Very forgiving and long. Stock shaft, fujikura speeder Evo II, is very stable and works well with this head. AF205 still retain the signature soft feel from Epon. Who need a driver when it can go 280-290yards off the deck. Another premium FW JDM has to offer. I'll get mine on 17th so an in depth review is coming soon.

Ripper. How did it compare to your 203?

I don't own AF-203. I have demo it countless of times. Wanted get a complete Epon set, 203 just won't work. Too short and not forgiving. This 205 is different. Easier to hit and long.

For reference, Jordan Spieth hits 3W about 280 yards.

For reference, Jordan Spieth hits 3W about 280 yards.

Yeah? I always thought he was kinda "short" compared to some other tour pros. 280 is a good smack for him, his average drive is 287

He's short with his driver,but he's the longest with his putter :)

Edited by Rougespringer91

Jordan isn't short but not ultra long like DJ, Jason Day or Bubba. He's 290 yards average. He uses Aldila Rouge for his driver shaft on the 915 D2.

DJ hits his 3 wood 300+ yards.

post-15212-0-32501400-1464687726_thumb.j

Jordan isn't short but not ultra long like DJ, Jason Day or Bubba. He's 290 yards average. He uses Aldila Rouge for his driver shaft on the 915 D2.

DJ hits his 3 wood 300+ yards.

Yes, he is 290 yards on average with the driver, 287 according to pga.com.

I'm thinking he might be 250-260 with the 3-wood.

DJ's stat. He ranked #1 at 317.7 yards. He plays M2 shafted with Speeder 661 X flex at D3 swing weight 45inch loft 10.5. Golf Style mag has more in depth data than PGA tour. Interesting to see that all pros' driver are mostly at 44-45.5 inch at D2-D4 swing weight.
Number 1 in shaft on tour is Mitsubishi at 44, 2nd is Aldila at 41 3rd is fujikura at 41. Mitsubishi series is KuroKage and Aldila is the Rouge. Both play very similar. Rouge is a stiffer in feel. Distance rank difference we are seeing is with a yard to 2 here. Jordan at 291.8yards rank 78th while Ricky rank 39th at 296.8 yards. Not that drastic differences but ranking is cramp up on the top. Brendon Todd ranked 176th at 276.4 yards.

post-15212-0-18957000-1464707124_thumb.j

post-15212-0-25420600-1464707154_thumb.j

Edited by jimmieboi

Ok, but anyway my point was that it sounds improbable that Spieth hits his 3-wood 280 with any sort of regularity

280yard 3 wood for Jordan, why not? He hit 8 iron 180 yards. 3 wood nowadays go as far as driver. his head speed on trackman is around 115mph ball speed 170s. His 3 wood trackman number wouldn't far off from driver. 110mph with ball speed 160s is easy 280 yards (total distance not carry). Impossible for Jordan to avg 3 wood at 250 yards. He hit his hybrid 240s yards.

Edited by jimmieboi

Interesting to see that all pros' driver are mostly at 44-45.5 inch at D2-D4 swing weight.

Why does that surprise you? I'd imagine 44-45.5 gives them optimal control and they don't need much more yardage. 46+ range they probably start to lose that feel/control for minimal distance gains. I'd image these guys want to be hitting as many of the narrow fairways that they play on. In addition to being ridiculously good their body height and build also help then pummel the ball. DJ is 6+ft tall and a strong lean guy. Bubba is very tall too both with ridiculous swing speeds.

It doesn't surprise me one bit. It's interesting to see how better players, the tour pros specifically, used shorter length driver and able to get swing weight to D2-D4. This cause havoc to better players who don't have access to tour issue driver head. Most head especially JDM are so light that building one in D2-D4 with a 44.4-45.5 inch quite impossible. Tour issue head may be made from the same place as retails, they are measured and modified to tour spec.

280yard 3 wood for Jordan, why not? He hit 8 iron 180 yards. 3 wood nowadays go as far as driver. his head speed on trackman is around 115mph ball speed 170s. His 3 wood trackman number wouldn't far off from driver. 110mph with ball speed 160s is easy 280 yards (total distance not carry). Impossible for Jordan to avg 3 wood at 250 yards. He hit his hybrid 240s yards.

His SS with a driver is just under 112 mph, that's the latest 2016 stats.

He plays almost all his golf on the PGA Tour, and pgatour.com have the most comprehensive and exact stats for their players, and have had that for years and years. Why you would claim they are inferior when it comes to statistics, I don't know.

http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.34046.jordan-spieth.html/statistics

Edited by Vegaman

It doesn't surprise me one bit. It's interesting to see how better players, the tour pros specifically, used shorter length driver and able to get swing weight to D2-D4. This cause havoc to better players who don't have access to tour issue driver head. Most head especially JDM are so light that building one in D2-D4 with a 44.4-45.5 inch quite impossible. Tour issue head may be made from the same place as retails, they are measured and modified to tour spec.

Hot melt is what most tour vans use. We can do the same.

Even USDM drivers with no screws or glue are light. add heavier screws + hot melt and your right up there, doesn't matter if it's USDM or JDM what's important is how good your guy is at nailing the glue in the right spot and cooling it down fast.

This was taken in the locker room when Jordan played in Singapore. Real play is more important than stats. He is capable of hitting 3 wood 280 yards total not carry. Confirmed by a tour player that play with him that day.

Tour issue head has special weighting screw that retail doesn't have. They don't have to hit melt it. It would change feel and CG.

This was taken in the locker room when Jordan played in Singapore. Real play is more important than stats. He is capable of hitting 3 wood 280 yards total not carry. Confirmed by a tour player that played with him that day. You are stating that he can only hit it 250-260 yards total distance. This is not quite accurate. Better control maybe at 260 but he is capable of getting total 280 yards that's for sure.

Tour issue head has special weighting screw that retail doesn't have. They don't have to hot melt it. It would change feel and CG. I'll take a close up pic of the tour issue once I get to play with my tour pro mate.

post-15212-0-86946000-1464722870_thumb.j

post-15212-0-92818300-1464722878_thumb.j

Edited by jimmieboi

I did write "with any sort of regularity". Sure, he can probably squeeze out a 280 3-wood if he swung out of his shoes and during certain conditions. But his full swing regular 3-wood don't go 280, at least I don't think so.

Pros do hit longer than on stats. I can tell you by playing along side them on pro-am from experienced first hand.

Edited by jimmieboi