JBeam/Crazy drivers look closed face even for Square FA?

nobmontana

I just got my Crazy 435 Black Limited last week and I paired it with a Fire Express BX70 shaft.

I ordered this head as 10deg and Sqaure Face angle .

Normally I use/order 9.5 deg heads with square face angle. But knowing these 435 heads launch lower than most, I ordered the 10 deg this time.

Regarding face angle... I wanted to see if it's a known and common issue with these heads where

the face angle "looks" slightly closed at address.

Depending on how I situate the grip relative to the head. ( forward or back )

I get a different look on the face angle. With this new club, I need to situate the grip waaay forward to make the face angle look square.

I have not had this issue with other heads in 9.5 deg... when I order square, they looked square.

Have not hit this club yet, so don't know if this is going to cause me to hook too much or what.

Thoughts??

I've owned a 435r, a 535 and tried a 435. Not once did I feel that they looked closed.

I think the higher loft also adds to that closed look ...

I've had 4-5 jbeam/crazy drivers (10-10.5) and I always thought that their "square face" looked close. had to get them 1-2* open to look square. most people I have talked to agree.

Edited by golfer75

Good to know!!

Truth of the matter is I think I actually need a square face. So I think it's just getting used to the looks.

As long as the ball flies straight, then I am good.

It's a square face, I've brought this up with Jbeam and they explained to me in person how the bulge and crown make it look slightly closed.

yes 100% yes.

mine are the same the look closed by about 0.5* but are 100% NOT.

i had them measured exactly by my builder.

now tbh I like that look bec it promtes a draw bias in my mind and I need that so I don't block it right

some ryomas with higher lofts do the same and so does the new egg but that's 2* OPEN!!!!

the 425 tour does not, t hat looks dead square.

its a couipling with the higher loft that doe is for me, the lower lofts don't seem to .

I've always felt Jbeam and Crazy drivers are the most neutral looking out there. Ryoma, Egg and some of the others look slightly closed to me.

Thanks for all the feedback, Gents!!

now that I can be confident about the face angle, my next challenge is picking the right shaft combo.

For this 435 head, the BX 70 seems too low spin as the ball looks like a knuckle ball.

It's a square face, I've brought this up with Jbeam and they explained to me in person how the bulge and crown make it look slightly closed.

There we go

My black 10 is 1 open still looks closed, (not any more as i have gotten used to it) dosnt phase me at all shes a monster!!!!