Driver Trial

octo87

Hi All,

Currently I am trying to find a replacement for my driver.

My swing speed about 105-110mph

My height is 5'5"

Right now I am using : alpha golf v5 LX with matrix ozik tp7hd

--> result: avg. 265-270m carry, low launch and low spin

I am pretty happy with it but I am trying to find other options that can improve it.

The past week i bought a few stuffs and I put in:

Trial 1: J-beam CRZ-435II with matrix ozik TP6HD

--> Result: avg. 250m carry, Low launch and keep peaking up/ballooned going to the end (high spin)

Trial 2: Epon AF-103 with platinum speeder

--> Result: avg. 245m carry, High launch and ballooned.

Are these setup normal to have that kind of result?

Do you have any suggestions?

Looking forward for the inputs.

Cheers,

Octo

Hi Octo,

I have no experience with the Alpha but equally as important as ss is your angle of attack. I have the same ss as you but I can't get anything to balloon and never get high spin numbers. I'm currently using a 10* Grand Prix driver with a Diamana X 70s. It is flat, I carry about 250 which I'm happy with as I have very little side spin and tend to hit many fairways. To me distance is a definite second to direction.

Maybe if you explain what your goal is in distance, flight and if your natural ball is andraw or fade someone on here will be able to give you some direction.

Best

B

Hi B,

Thank you for your response.

Currently I will not be able to answer your question regarding the angle of attack because I dont have access to trackman or flightscope.

For the meantime, I am trying to gain more distance and my ball usually draw.

Regards,

octo

Ok. So a softer flex will give you more kick but probably also more spin. I play SX flex in most shafts but some, like the 9003x and Diamana X I'm doing well with S flex as they are stable enough designs to let me keep it in the fairway.

What flexes are the shafts you have played and what are the lofts of the heads? If I were you I'd try a 9* low spin, deep face head and a heavier S flex stable shaft in 44.5". Like a Diamana X 70s, Waccine 88 or similar. That will allow you to whack it without being too scared of finding the woods. You are also more likely to get a good smash factor with a slightly shorter shaft.

My 2 cents

Have not played the JBeam 435II. But I heard many times from others that it is not low spin which would correspond to your findings. The Epon AF103 I had owned for a short period of time. It was mid spin for me but also not very long in general. This is what most people found with Epon drivers from that generation. Great feel but not long.

Jbeam 435 Black ( Crazy 435 Black ) , ZY11 , Grandista just to name a few very good and long JDM driver heads.

Forgiveness varies on these heads. Grandista is most forgiving out of these three ZY11 next and the 435 ( Jbeam and Crazy )

are both for better players with good consistency.

In terms of back spin, Grandista is low to mid spin , ZY11 and 435s are very low spin.

I often got knuckle balls when I paired up ZY11 and 435 with low spinning, low launching shafts.

Ironically, I am currently gaming a Ping G LSTEC and this head is very very long and low spin with gobs of forgiveness.

Unfortunately, I honestly don't think any JDM drivers come close in terms of overall forgiveness.

Aesthetics, sound and feel are awful, I admit, but functionally undeniably excellent. It gets the job done!

With your swing speed at 110 mph and you said you carry the ball 290 yards (270m), I don't think you can improve much. You are maxing out your smash factor. Carrying at 290 yard with swing speed only 110mph is huge. I have the 435ii (crazy not jBeam but exact same head) and didn't like it. It's low launch but not low spin. I ended up with a ballon flight as well. Epon 103 is a short driver. If you want more forgiveness and need to be Epon, go for 504dj or AF 105. JBeam Glorious also a very good driver. Very forgiving and long. Both the 435ii and 103 aren't low spinning head, thus the ballon ball flight.

With your swing speed at 110 mph and you said you carry the ball 290 yards (270m), I don't think you can improve much. You are maxing out your smash factor. Carrying at 290 yard with swing speed only 110mph is huge. I have the 435ii (crazy not jBeam but exact same head) and didn't like it. It's low launch but not low spin. I ended up with a ballon flight as well. Epon 103 is a short driver. If you want more forgiveness and need to be Epon, go for 504dj or AF 105. JBeam Glorious also a very good driver. Very forgiving and long. Both the 435ii and 103 aren't low spinning head, thus the ballon ball flight.

Was thinking the same..almost like a mix up of meters and yards?

I missed the m part. I messure in meters these days but just assumed it was yds. I mean, 270 meters carry with a 105-110 ss is hmmmm, unique is the word I'm looking for. You either swing a bit faster that the 105-110 or the conditions are anything but those Ben Hogan wanted for practicing on the range = head wind. Or, you have found the holy grail for your swing and you have fantastic smash factor. If so, don't look for anything but an exact same set-up as back-up ?

The Alpha golf stuff are actually good. Before my JDM craze, I used to be totally into component heads.

Alpha, Geek, Bang etc etc.. Out of all the component heads, I do like the Geek Failsafe 3 the most.

you might want to try a lighter shaft in a stiffer flex.

I have been playing the diamana X in 70s for a nice smooth swing in most drivers I have these days but it doesn't set any distance records, I don't miss with it very much tho , so im content.

I recently built a jbeam 435 with a 60x diamana X shaft as a test and its been a bit of a reveleation in the wind and on faster lw cut grass, the lighter weight all round ( normal drivers 325 gram+) this jbeam is a bout 315+/- is crunching balls out there, but not high flight but its a great driver for maxing distance with run on faster fairways.

im not sure what u play on but u might want to build one with a higher loft,

I play it I at 9* in beam and 7* in my other drivers and I think the 9* beam is perfect but in summer here when its really moist, I need 100% carry. so this isn't the best suited driver.

that title goes to the 358 shingo onoff. that captures carry perfectly.

hope that helps

Octo, the boys have given you some solid recommendations so not a lot to add.

But something that you might find useful - find a head you like the look and feel of - something that you feel comfortable and confident with, and then experiment with different shafts to find the ball flight you want.

If you are anything like me, having a driver in the bag that you a confident with is a massive plus.

Dear All,

Thank you so much for all the inputs and recommendations.

I will try to find the other components and play around with it again.

I am still waiting for my flightscope to come.

BTW, according to you guys, what are the optimal launch angle & spin?

What other shafts that you guys game?

cheers

Edited by octo87

The driver shafts I have in rotation now are:

Diamana X 70s

Diamana X 60s

Diamana JP Ltd 73s

Crazy Boron SX

TRPX Messenger 1st SX

There are so many and you have already received some good suggestions. Others you could try include -

• Crazy CB80LS Noir if you prefer to draw the ball
  • Crazy CB80II Nero if you prefer to fade the ball
  • Crazy CB-50 Black if you like to give it a good old fashioned smack
  • Tour AD GP or DI are also solid performers

You will see that the different shafts (even using the same head) will produce quite different ball flights and distances.

Good luck.

Edited by dnq22

im down to just

diamana X 70s and 60x

diamana stinger 70x and its manifestations form 2004

graph design p9003x

roddio labo tataki 70xs.

that's about it these days