Crazy STP Utility Shaft -- Lethal Weapon

RLL33

Okay, some like hybrids, some hate them. I've fallen into both camps over the years. For me, most of them are hook machines. The first couple of times you hit them, you get it, they're like easier to hit long irons except they lift higher and land softer. But then you start to go after shots, and... whoa... hook, hook, and snap hook.... WTF...? It goes back in the closet... 

Previously I had only found one hybrid that avoided that syndrome for me -- the Miura HB with a Project-X Black hybrid shaft in it. And then along came Ako-san with the original A-Grind hybrids. Both of these hybrids are small and shaped like long irons. I keep an 18-deg driving iron in my bag mostly for use off the tee on super tight fairways, and the original A-Grind hybrids are very similar in shape and size. And with their stealthy matte black finish, they slip through rough to generate piercing missiles, or off the fairway, they lift high and land soft. And most importantly, no hooks no matter how hard I swing.

So, okay, I've been happy with these clubs, recently playing the MCI hybrid shaft in them and liking its stability and smoothness a lot. But then I decided to try one of the Crazy STP shafts after reading what Chris had to say about them finally being the perfect hybrid shaft. And I have to say, I agree.

These shafts are stepped carbon -- a first. And their black matte finish looks designed for the A-Grinds. But man, the performance! I find the same club both longer and easier to flight the way I want. And going after a shot with a clean fairway lie, the most bend I've seen is a sweet baby draw that occurs on the ascent before the shot straightens out and flies and flies. 

But the killer for me is when I want to use it like an iron for a shot I employ a lot from the rough -- a low trap draw that comes off a 3/4 swing to get out of trouble or fly under a low lying tree limb. I normally have to go to my 5 or 6-iron for this shot. Any time I've tried to use hybrids, they either rise too quickly or I can't keep them on a precise line. But with this stepped Crazy shaft, the ball does exactly what the irons do -- screams out in a low line drive exactly on the line I need it to, the difference being it keeps going, even longer than I can get from an iron.

The versatility combination just feels unbelievable. Long smooth swings produce high but penetrating trajectory both off the fairway and off a tee. Abbreviated swings become workable low line drive shots. I don't know if it's the stepping in the shaft or the carbon weave Crazy has come up with, but for me, this shaft in an A-Grind hybrid has produced what I can only call a Lethal Weapon in my bag for multiple situations. I just love it! Thank you, Crazy! And thanks to Chris for calling it to my attention.

IS THIS......................... is this a...a...a...a  review of something new?????
I had to double check that!!!

awesome write up man.

seems we have stumbled onto the same  like over the same weekend.

im enamoured with that modart/cfrazy urte set up just as much

hell freezing   over wudda been shorter odds than that   id have thought previously.

Yeah, I was going to check with you to be sure it was the same shaft. If so, nothing against the Modart at all, but it could be the shaft, man. Lightning in a straw!

Here's to a fine weekend!

Good stuff guys! 

I am currently using a Crazy Black UT shaft from a few years back. 

Though I have not tried the new stepped version,  I am really liking the original CB UT shaft..

I too have leaned away from Hybrids for a while due to the hooks that would appear when I least wanted it. 

CB UT is the most anti left UT shaft I have tried.    I have the CB UT shaft in a Sonartec head which is a very orthodox hybrid which gets the job done very well.   Waiting on a 22deg Modart head at the moment.    I will re-use the CB-UT in the Modart head!! Can't wait to hit it. 

The only thing I would prefer more is launch.   CB UT is,  for me,  not high launching.  I would not mind higher launch with my hybrid shafts. 

Also a more smoother feel would also be good.     If the new stepped UT shaft has both of these figured out,  I may have to get one. 

well what ever combo I have is as smooth as it gets.

19* tho  , so not an ideal loft for a ute for me for par3s,

21* is prefect , but this  takes over from a  short fwood. or 5 wood. it launches lower but prob similar distance.

def longer than the 3iron  with similar launch conditions found it  was . good to   lay up to  a short wedge distance on   the par 5s.

this is gonna be awsome at  longy , the lakes and NSW. !

4 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Good stuff guys! 

I am currently using a Crazy Black UT shaft from a few years back. 

Though I have not tried the new stepped version,  I am really liking the original CB UT shaft..

I too have leaned away from Hybrids for a while due to the hooks that would appear when I least wanted it. 

CB UT is the most anti left UT shaft I have tried.    I have the CB UT shaft in a Sonartec head which is a very orthodox hybrid which gets the job done very well.   Waiting on a 22deg Modart head at the moment.    I will re-use the CB-UT in the Modart head!! Can't wait to hit it. 

The only thing I would prefer more is launch.   CB UT is,  for me,  not high launching.  I would not mind higher launch with my hybrid shafts. 

Also a more smoother feel would also be good.     If the new stepped UT shaft has both of these figured out,  I may have to get one. 

I also think the original will be hard to beat NK, but i would like to try these for sure.

Not my review bro although I can see why you would think so ;)

The crazy UT shafts do go well in DI's, Crazy shafts have very tight dispersion by rule of thumb.

This one should be no different and sounds even better by all accounts.

Definitely worth a crack Dave.

Edited by hutchy

5 hours ago, hutchy said:

I also think the original will be hard to beat NK, but i would like to try these for sure.

i hv coup,e of the original crazy black utility shaft & have not changed them since. Lots of heads have gone through it. Its a shaft that you can go at it & wont go left.

how do these new ones compare ?

@nob -- yes, will launch high, and smooth as silk, but as I noted, put the ball a little back in stance and can hit smooth 3/4 ropes too

@sunshine -- I tend to like lighter shafts than most, but if Stew likes this baby, you can believe a heavy user is fine with it, some of his configs I think I could use as barbells for my weight work... <g>

@dnq -- thanks, man, and I'd guess it would be awesome in a driving iron, I'm thinking about trying one in mine

Stew you are hitting the original Crazy Black UT,  my favorite UT shaft before the STP came out.  

Something about this STP is electric and has got me experimenting with the tip cut of the STP iron shafts.

So STP iron shafts come with an uncut tip what I recently did was go with the STP 100 (only made in SX) and only had the tip section cut  0.25"  this resulted in a flex just over SR and man these are the STP UT in irons,  totally electric.    Crazy stock will go up if people try the STP UT,  that should get them to try the iron shafts with less of a tip cut.   Then everyone will be demanding a FW and driver version.

It will take time but STP UT will become a very popular shaft here.

What's the major difference between a STP UT 75 vs STP Iron 85 besides the weight and tip size?  

5 hours ago, nobmontana said:

What's the major difference between a STP UT 75 vs STP Iron 85 besides the weight and tip size?  

Crazy says different design for the UT,  ive hit all weights and flexes at Crazy for both the irons and UT and the UTs are imo how they should have made the irons,  softer with more feel.  They dont feel anything like the iron shafts which are boardy and stout,  Im building a set of STP 100 SX with a lot less tip trim in a set of PRGR super egg irons,  I call this the cheat set.

So if anyone is interested in the iron shafts lets work closely on the tip trim and objective to get it right.

6 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Crazy says different design for the UT,  ive hit all weights and flexes at Crazy for both the irons and UT and the UTs are imo how they should have made the irons,  softer with more feel.  They dont feel anything like the iron shafts which are boardy and stout,  Im building a set of STP 100 SX with a lot less tip trim in a set of PRGR super egg irons,  I call this the cheat set.

So if anyone is interested in the iron shafts lets work closely on the tip trim and objective to get it right.

amen! i find the crazy shafts for irons to be more than the flex they suggest. I'm like an R in most of their iron shafts.

i could never like them, if they made them feel like roddios would be so different

yes the stock crazy ut shaft in stiff..

I wrote about 4 yrs ago this is the best shaft crazy makes period..........

I stand by that again after not hitting one in 3 years and going full tilt with this thing

its absolutely fantastic, if the new verison is better, oh my..... gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd,

• 8 months later...

Hey anymore feedbacks with these Crazy STP hybrid shafts? Are they still performing well for you? Do they play much stiffer to flex? Am keen on getting one of these.

I wouldn't change a word in my review. Great shaft.

1 hour ago, Haovictor said:

STP is over stiff in my feeling. I mean all the Crazy is over stiff, while STP is more than over.

Are u referring to the ut shaft or iron shaft?

8 hours ago, Haovictor said:

STP is over stiff in my feeling. I mean all the Crazy is over stiff, while STP is more than over.

So far I have only had one user feedback that it played very stiff.  Was this you? 

We sent both assembled clubs back to TSG then Crazy to inspect and everything came out proper from tipping to finished CPMs

I value any feedback you can provide.

My experience with the STP is a very vibrant kick,  very straight and stable medium to medium high trajectory.

Also STP Irons or UT shafts can be special ordered with less or more tipping on any flex.  We can make a stiff softer by cutting it .5" less or more etc..

Gentlemen, I do confirm that I feel crazy STP is stiffer, while I have better tolerance on STP hybrid. Iron shaft is particularly stiffer. I have CB I 80 with my Epon P1, which I like a lot several years ago. 

Last year, I bought Epon AF tour with STP from another member here. 85 stiff. I felt it is extremely stiff. Very hard to control the ball flight. I'm a high ball flighter in iron. STP keeps my ball lower too. Just sharing some thoughts. I wish I have some regular flex.