A-Grind DST 3-wood

RLL33

3-woods tend to stay in my bag longer than most clubs, even more so than drivers. I just have a hard time settling on one I like and can count on both off the tee and the fairway. It was the last club in my bag to go JDM as I just couldn't let go of a beautiful wine colored TM-R7 (before TM went all white and stupid...), even though discovering JDM had thoroughly changed my game and my bag otherwise.

Then along came Kobayashi with his S-Yard XV line, and there was no looking back. Nice soft thwack and unbelievable distance and roll out for me even if the flight was way lower than I was accustomed to. That club has been a solid keeper in my 3-wood slot for as long as it's been out.

But then watching as my bag went further and further into A-Grind territory -- everything from irons and wedges to hybrids, and even trying the 440 and Proto drivers -- I finally felt I had to try the DST 3-wood. And whoa, mofo!, am I glad I did!

The DST is everything I've loved about the XV -- it's hyper long and delivers precision with that soft thwack I need to hear and feel -- but with one important exception: it flights the ball much higher for me without losing the rollout I so loved with the XV. Beautiful long high arcing shots off the tee have really helped me on one hole on my home course that is a blind tee with a rising hillcrest the first 40 or 50 yards with nothing but an embedded white rock to aim at. Easily up and over with a lazy draw and then past a fairway bunker that sits about 210-220 out on the right side. And also able to lift a shot off a downhill lie on another (too) long Par-4 hole later in the round makes me smile at a shot I just couldn't hit before with anything but a hybrid or an iron (for a layup).

And of course that stealth black A-Grind finish that just makes me chill. I don't know how else to put it, but shiny finishes on metal woods just don't do it for me. They look like kids over dressing to make an impression or something... 

DST is the new 3-wood in my bag. I want to sleep with it at night.

Hi 

this is what I was waiting for :)

just need a comparaison with the original 3 wood from A-Grind , but if the gap is as good as the one we had between the hybrid and the proto  , i will love it

what shaft are you using ? 

Stephane

2 hours ago, smstef said:

Hi 

this is what I was waiting for :)

just need a comparaison with the original 3 wood from A-Grind , but if the gap is as good as the one we had between the hybrid and the proto  , i will love it

what shaft are you using ? 

Stephane

Hi, Stephane.  I don't know about the original 3-wd. That's one A-Grind I never hit. Triple X Red Hot in the DST. 

--Richard 

Gonna dump some pics in this thread!  Thanks RLL for this write up,  we need more reviews like this on TSG!

DSC00228-Edit.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00248.jpg