2016 Ryoma Maxima Driver Information

2016-Ryoma-Maxima-Driver.jpg

The New 2016 Ryoma Maxima Driver - Back in March we sat down with Mr. Tanihara President and Designer of Ryoma Golf a man who we consider a genius and separate from the traditional golf industry in Japan with a background in medical science and technology. During our meeting he pushed across the table a couple of new prototypes and asked us not to take any photos, what I had in my hands was the next generation 2016 Ryoma Maxima. This club is three years in the making as Mr. Tanihara wanted to see large tangible improvements over his competitor's performance. Everything was re-evaluated and designed completely from the ground up starting with the material and featuring new manufacturing methods.

Ryoma-Maxima-Driver.jpg

Below is the official press release translated into English:

Our companies policy is to only release a new product when there is a performance difference from previous versions. The new 2016 Maxima is the first driver to be released in three years following the D-1 in 2009 and the D-1 MAXIMA in 2013.

The New 2016 Maxima driver's greatest features are the world's lowest center of gravity and the high rebound initial velocity.

The New "2016 Ryoma MAXIMA" is a complete revision of the original design. It further improves on the company's own patented DSI technology and has achieved the astounding feat of outperforming its famed predecessor by a distance of 10 yards on each shot. Designed using an unprecedented new forging method involving a new technique that utilizes every last gram of head weight to create the best distance driver in golf today.

An "under press Cup crown" featuring a bend angle of up to 130 degrees was created, which is impossible for all other titanium alloys. The welding position has been substantially lowered, and extremely high-density 17g tungsten powder was employed in the design of the new "anti-roll power booster". A lowering of the center of gravity corresponding to a score line interval of 5mm per club was implemented while maintaining the deep face shape, which achieved a low center of gravity rate of 50%.

Compared to ordinary drivers from other companies, the back spin has been reduced by 900 rpm on average. Also the average initial velocity was improved by 3.8mph as a result of the strengthening of the spring effect extending across the body. Our company has created an unrivaled high-performance club that belongs in a new category of its own. By continuing to create products that perform beyond their price, we strive to remain a producer trusted by golfers.

I definitely like this shape better.. but doesn't look like much additional technology. I'd give a go at this - special tuning edition?

Looking great!

I'm really keen.

Made in Japan?

Gonna be interesting to see how they perform against their previous models 

6 hours ago, TFL07670 said:

I definitely like this shape better.. but doesn't look like much additional technology. I'd give a go at this - special tuning edition?

There is no ETA on a special tune version or beyond power version.

This is a completely new driver,  it has a lot of new technology no other driver has.  The 130* cup crown is a huge deal,  this entirely new material had to be created to achieve this along with the forging method and physical adjustments to the forging press.  They were able to keep the MOI while making the head less elongated and put  the CG 50% lower than below while reducing spin.  

When holding this head give the body a firm press,  it's the only driver I've been able to compress by hand without hitting a ball.

Co. Listed Features:

- 3 Years in the Making
- Now 10 Yards Longer
- New Propritary Titanium Material
- New Cup Crown Structure
- Increased Flex in Body
- 50% lower Center of Gravity
- 900rpm less spin than competitors
- +3.8mph Average Initial Velocity Gain
- New Anti Roll Power Booster 

Release is June 29th.  Japan shops do not have any demos either ( only TSG :)

Pre-orders are up the proshop.

The prototype that I am reviewing is not a final either,  badge in the back will be changed aesthetically.

I can say from first impressions that this driver is not as wild as the D-1 Maxima and side by side against the D-1 special tune this new 2016 even in conforming is longer,  they seemed to have cured the D-1's wildness in the head design and or the standard shaft,  I'm not sure because I'm not allowed to re-shaft it yet.

I think I'm set for the year on personal drivers,  ZY-7 and 2016 Maxima in rotation what more can we ask for.

I'm really looking forward to hearing feedback on not only the Type V head but also the shaft . 

Chris , is there another Graphite Design model that you could compare it to ?

6 minutes ago, Aussie said:

I'm really looking forward to hearing feedback on not only the Type V head but also the shaft . 

Chris , is there another Graphite Design model that you could compare it to ?

I'm not the best guy to compare DG shafts because I barely play them to have feedback.

2 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

There is no ETA on a special tune version or beyond power version.

This is a completely new driver,  it has a lot of new technology no other driver has.  The 130* cup crown is a huge deal,  this entirely new material had to be created to achieve this along with the forging method and physical adjustments to the forging press.  They were able to keep the MOI while making the head less elongated and put  the CG 50% lower than below while reducing spin.  

When holding this head give the body a firm press,  it's the only driver I've been able to compress by hand without hitting a ball.

Co. Listed Features:

- 3 Years in the Making
- Now 10 Yards Longer
- New Propritary Titanium Material
- New Cup Crown Structure
- Increased Flex in Body
- 50% lower Center of Gravity
- 900rpm less spin than competitors
- +3.8mph Average Initial Velocity Gain
- New Anti Roll Power Booster 

you mean compress the face without hitting a ball? i don't know if that's good or bad lol. that means it's soft i guess - not a feature i look for in drivers, but obviously many members prefer that. or do u really mean compress the body like crown or sole?

11 minutes ago, TFL07670 said:

you mean compress the face without hitting a ball? i don't know if that's good or bad lol. that means it's soft i guess - not a feature i look for in drivers, but obviously many members prefer that. or do u really mean compress the body like crown or sole?

I mean the body itself, crown and sole.  face can't compress by hand.

Yes you do want a body that compresses and expands this is one of the only true non gimmick factors that increases RBI.  See those drivers that have the cutaways like TM, Nike,  even the ZY-7 well those prevent and restrict the expansion of the head.

I think what you can feel safe in is Ryoma as a brand,  everything they produce works and is different now is it better for the individuals game that's the million dollar question but all their drivers, fw, ut's, even the putters have not been just another club.

is it a match to seven dreamers shaft?

1 hour ago, pca168 said:

is it a match to seven dreamers shaft?

The 7D shafts are custom made to the players info,  the specific head design and the final build specs so yes any driver can be a match.