SEVEN WEDGE CONTEST - Winner's review (join)

mauvanilla

So seems that I am one of the first to review (as per rules of the contest!) - feel free to join the review in here if you want.

The whole weekend weather sucks in Hong Kong; so my review is based on a session at the range (which by the way, not many left here in HK).

Anyway; first of all let's talk about the looks. The wedge is gorgeous, look is very compact and elegant. The logo and finish are par (and I would say even more) to any of the top JDM brand.

I don't have a huge collection of wedges like other members here; but I do have a pair of Gold's Factory (those with the dots - 52 + 58) and my LW gamer (60) has been a Yonex eZone which has been one of my favorite clubs in my bag for years (since it was first launched ... 5-6 years? More?!).

My prize was a 60; 950 NSPro - Stiff + Blue Iomic X-Grip Daiya (which is the combo I use in my wedges).

It has been very difficult for me to replace the Yonex Ezone; as I have never found anything that would be so smooth on contact with ground; easy to hit and versatile on different shots. But there it goes; the Seven wedge is sending my ezone to retirement.

The wedge performs superbly! Opened face, closed face, flop shots, everything goes easily and smoothly! I thought it could be difficult because of the small shape, but no, it is spot on!

I apologize that I lack the technicalities; but that is my review. Also apologies for not having a fancy camera; but here are the shots from this morning session.

Again thanks for C. and TSG for the prize, it makes me wish to change one of my Crazy iron sets (MB and Dot) into a Seven!

Cheers and keep going with the Seven; I became a Sevenliever (Seven Believer!).

IMG_20160612_071339.jpgIMG_20160612_071332.jpgIMG_20160612_071348.jpg

First of all I would like to thank TSG for this awesome prize. 

I was lucky enough to win 3 wedge heads that were promptly shipped last week. 

This will be a pre build review as the weather in Melbourne Oz is not conducive to golf atm. 

As I wrote in my testimony, the reasons that I love JDM is the quality, attention to detail and accurate specs. 

And these Seven wedges definitely do not disappoint. Beautifully finished, nice sized (not too compact or big) and the grind looks very useful. 

As an amateur club builder, I always spec out my heads pre build.  These heads specced out really well.  

52 and 60 heads were spot on weight wise, and the 56 only +1g to spec. 

Using my trusty True Blue loft/lie machine, the heads were spot on in loft.  Very impressive. 

Really looking for to finishing the build and putting these babies into play when the weather gets better. 

IMG_20160612_230646.jpg

IMG_20160612_225544.jpg

IMG_20160612_225509.jpg

IMG_20160612_225628.jpg

IMG_20160612_230013.jpg

Mine in the Post... Review will be done once Built!

Picked them up this Morning ....

first Impressions :

look as good as any New Wedge Ive Had, nice attention to detail.

loft numbers are a little hard to see/ make out AND the weights seem a Tad Heavier than advertised 

ie:

52 *is 303gram, while the 56* is 306gram

hoping this doesn't make for any issues 

image.jpeg

Here are my thoughts on the wedges and I’ll try to snap some pics at the range tonight. Please note I only have 1 round with these and 2 range sessions.   

I received all 3 wedges and I won’t lie, I love the overall look of them at address as well as the translucent blue paint. My only hesitation on these wedges was the bounce as I typically play in soft conditions and 8* is big difference when compared to the SYard Bolds that I play which are in the 10*-11* range. I love my Bolds (which I got from a member here… thanks TSupo)

Specs were pretty close within +-1g (with my el cheapo scale) and the lofts were spot on (Mitchell). I play to a -2 lie so I had to bend these a few degrees with no problems. Swing weighted these to D4.

Shafts are Modus 125 wedge shafts playing at -1/4” with perfect pro grips.

Spin 52-56:

None of this should come as a surprise as these are non-conforming grooves.

Full to half shots these babies spin. I play Prov1x/Snell MTB and I had no issues getting check action from 20-110 yards. On 18 I had about 105 yards uphill so maybe 112 yards true distance to a back pin position. I took a smooth swing with the 52* and landed the ball within 10 feet with enough backspin to hold the green and get a little bit of backup but not excessive. I was very happy with this result more importantly the actual action of the ball especially going uphill.

I short sided myself a couple times on other holes which left me with some <20 yard shots and spin from this distance was pretty good. Out of the rough the 56* performed quite well. Conditions were dry and I had a 30 yard pitch shot to a middle pin. Ball came out very nicely out of 3” rough and rolled out maybe 7-10 feet.

60* -  I hit a couple bunker shots but that’s really all. So I can’t comment too much on the versatility of the 60* yet.

Feel:

Overall I was not a huge fan on the feel. I fully expected these to be super soft but I got more of a harsh feeling from these. These are nothing like the bolds which feel much more soft but not mushy. The Sevens felt almost like hitting a close to a cast wedge and it was very apparent on shots < 20 yards. Maybe this will change as I use them more?

In conclusion I love the look but don’t really love the feel. The bounce did not seem to be an issue but I will certainly learn more about them as I use them. I will certainly give these wedges another 3-4 rounds but I can’t say that they will kick out the Bolds. I won’t be able to play until next weekend so an amendment to my review may be delayed.

But again, many thanks to TSG and their generosity in this contest.

also, i just picked up a set of the Open Model Series Irons - specifically OM-5. Will have a review soon but i absolutely love these.

2 minutes ago, mr.haha said:

Here are my thoughts on the wedges and I’ll try to snap some pics at the range tonight. Please note I only have 1 round with these and 2 range sessions.   

I received all 3 wedges and I won’t lie, I love the overall look of them at address as well as the translucent blue paint. My only hesitation on these wedges was the bounce as I typically play in soft conditions and 8* is big difference when compared to the SYard Bolds that I play which are in the 10*-11* range. I love my Bolds (which I got from a member here… thanks TSupo)

Specs were pretty close within +-1g (with my el cheapo scale) and the lofts were spot on (Mitchell). I play to a -2 lie so I had to bend these a few degrees with no problems. Swing weighted these to D4.

Shafts are Modus 125 wedge shafts playing at -1/4” with perfect pro grips.

Spin 52-56:

None of this should come as a surprise as these are non-conforming grooves.

Full to half shots these babies spin. I play Prov1x/Snell MTB and I had no issues getting check action from 20-110 yards. On 18 I had about 105 yards uphill so maybe 112 yards true distance to a back pin position. I took a smooth swing with the 52* and landed the ball within 10 feet with enough backspin to hold the green and get a little bit of backup but not excessive. I was very happy with this result more importantly the actual action of the ball especially going uphill.

I short sided myself a couple times on other holes which left me with some <20 yard shots and spin from this distance was pretty good. Out of the rough the 56* performed quite well. Conditions were dry and I had a 30 yard pitch shot to a middle pin. Ball came out very nicely out of 3” rough and rolled out maybe 7-10 feet.

60* -  I hit a couple bunker shots but that’s really all. So I can’t comment too much on the versatility of the 60* yet.

Feel:

Overall I was not a huge fan on the feel. I fully expected these to be super soft but I got more of a harsh feeling from these. These are nothing like the bolds which feel much more soft but not mushy. The Sevens felt almost like hitting a close to a cast wedge and it was very apparent on shots < 20 yards. Maybe this will change as I use them more?

In conclusion I love the look but don’t really love the feel. The bounce did not seem to be an issue but I will certainly learn more about them as I use them. I will certainly give these wedges another 3-4 rounds but I can’t say that they will kick out the Bolds. I won’t be able to play until next weekend so an amendment to my review may be delayed.

But again, many thanks to TSG and their generosity in this contest.

also, i just picked up a set of the Open Model Series Irons - specifically OM-5. Will have a review soon but i absolutely love these.

Interesting comment about feel,  these are actually too soft.  Material is SS400,  we are going to firm up the next version.

What you are experiencing is likely from build/shaft/spec or contact.  

Chris,

yeah i thought the feel was interesting. its not contact so could be build spec or shaft. 

I received all 3 wedges today, it has modus 3 105 wedge shaft on it. Grip is the XROZ Tour Grip,

I will give a very honest review,

my first impression, compact size which I like, shape and size are quite similar to the crazy toyo in my opinion but i think visually it still looks slightly smaller, I took a pic of the 52 degree side by side with the crazy toyo and roddio 2016. I love the detail and shape, logo are nicely placed and design are quite stylish but not too loud, i agreed with one of the member, the loft number is a bit hard to read but its ok for me coz i have a head cover with number so wont mix up, will test it out in a few day, Full review will be after a few round. 

Also i really like the grip, its soft but not too much, It grip comfortably even with my wet hand, it doesn't slip at all. 

Thanks Chris and TSG

IMG_6801.JPG

IMG_6799.JPG

IMG_6798.JPG

IMG_6800.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

First, thanks TSG again for their generous gestures into gifting everyone who submitted a testimonial a free wedge. I was one of the fortunate ones who received a full 52/56/60 set.

[THE BUILD]

I have been tinkering with various iron and wedge shafts over the last 6 years and for the last 2.5 years I've settled on Project X 6.0 for both irons and wedges.

So I immediately built up the 52 and 60 wedge with Project X Satin 6.0, Royal Blue Ferrules with white / silver rings (Cellparts.com), and Pure Pro black grips playing at 35.25". 

I normally play 52/58 wedge lofts but decided to play the 60 as-is for a few rounds first.

[THE PHOTOS]

20160614_195611.jpg

20160614_195554.jpg

20160614_195548.jpg

20160614_195515.jpg

20160614_195523.jpg

[THE TEST]

I played approximately 15 rounds over the last 3 weeks, with 9 of rounds played over the Canada Day long weekend  (Jul 1-3), including a 66-hole marathon in one day (could have completed 72-holes as there were still 1.5hr daylight when we stopped for dinner).

[FEEL]

Like others have noted, these wedges feel very soft even on mis-hits off the toe and heel. The only time you can feel any harshness is when you blade or skull one. I don't think these wedges are too soft but if you want feedback on mis-hits then these wedges aren't for you - they are perfect for me as I prefer softer feeling wedges. My previous wedges  (Chikara V1 retail, Kasco DW-113, Fourteen RM11) were more of a solid "click" when hit compared to the more spongy feel of the Seven.

[FULL SHOTS]

I rarely hit full shots with bladed wedges as I prefer hitting partial PW for more forgiveness on mis-hits. With the Seven the I decided to try hitting full shots again and I was very happy that of the 50 or so full swings with both the 52 and 60, I have only mis-hit a few and the rest were fairly on target hitting GIR. I will probably hit more full wedge shots with these Seven wedges given how confident I feel with them now.

[FROM THE ROUGH]

These wedges performed beautifully thanks to the smooth leading edge and sole that glides through rough without digging and allows the club face to make solid contact with the ball. I hit a couple shots from fescues and deep rough where normally I would at best only be able to layup onto the fairway but both times I was able to make it onto the green to give myself a chance for an up and down.

[FROM THE SAND]

Bunker shots are probably my weakest part of the game which is why last year I bought the Kasco DW-113 from Stu as sort of a crutch so I can get out of the sand more frequently. The wide sole of the DW-113 prevented digging but once I opened up the Seven it was just as effective.

I was a originally a bit tentative when I had to use the Seven in the sand but it was just automatic every time! From the standard explosion shot in fluffy sand to fried egg to digging deep underneath plugged wet sand I did not mis-hit ANY shots and always got out of the bunker everytime. For a guy that has no confidence in the sand this says a lot!

[SPIN]

My Chikara wedges (non-confirming) were probably the highest spinning wedges I've had until the Seven. Unlike the Chikara that shreds ball covers after a SINGLE hit, the Seven only did minimal scuffs on the ball while still giving me the same spin performance as the Chikaras!

[DISTANCE & DISPERSION]

I was a bit taken back when both the 52 and 60 carried a few yards short of my Chikara 52/58. I expected it for the weaker loft of the 60 vs 58 but expected similar distances for the 52. Otherwise the dispersion and control were top notch and I was throwing darts all day long.

After a few rounds I decided to get my 60 bent to 58 and that's where I found out the 60 was actually playing 61 and my 52 was playing 53.5 which explains why it was playing shorter. After the loft adjustments both seven wedges now carry the distances I'm used to!

[OVERALL]

This wedge is so good it gave me confidence back into my game where it was lacking before - and having confidence is allowing me to enjoy full wedge shots and bunker shots again (not that I want to go into the sand if I can help it).

Edited by neova

Alright mates, here is my review of the Seven wedges. First off, i was lucky enough to be one of those winners that won 3 of the Seven wedges (thanks to Chris & TSG). 

A little bit of my game play, I am a high handicapper and I play my lowest score this summer at Mission Hill China, Ozaki course. I played +16 and was rather proud of myself that day. Weakest part of my game is wedging and I feel that I have to put this out there so my review should be aim at high handicappers getting their hands on the Seven wedges.

I have played 5 rounds of golf with these wedges and one thing for sure is, the more i use it, the more i get better with it. My wedge set up is 52 and 58 so i bend the 56 to 58 and gave the 60 to my mate. 52 was on a Modus 105 wedge shaft and 58 was on a DG tour issue dynamic gold s200. My mate 60 was on a DG spinner shaft.

This review will be base on me (J) and my mate (K). 

Feel

J: The feel of these SEVEN wedges are superb. I have used Miura, Epon, Vokey (forged), Crazy, Yururi,... to name a few and this goes up there with the very best. I love the feel of it. 

K: I owned (Epon, Crazy and Cleveland wedges) and Seven wedge felt the best. Epon is soft and distinctly different but the Seven definitely top it. Feel way better than my Crazy Toyo wedges.

Full Shots/Distance

J: I don't see much distance gain for me. I use 52 for my 100m approach like always and it work fairly well. The spin is is definitely more than other wedges so sometimes when I mis-hit it, i am short of the green. Roll is much less and it hold it's line well. I think this is to due to the non-conforming grooves.

K: The Seven wedges are long on full shots. 60 degree wedge went 75-80m. A good 10m more for me.

Spin

J&K: The spin is superb. It doesn't shred the ball like yururi but it spins very well. Highest spinning wedge we have used so far that works. (Both of us are not fans of Yururi wedges)

Grind/Bounce

J: The 56>58 was an absolute bunker killer for me. I have no problem using it out of the bunker. My mates commented how well i was using it out of the bunker with these wedges. Great great wedges out of bunkers. The 52 on the other hand, digs in a lot for me. I felt that the bounce might not be enough for my swing as i have a steep angle of attack and a tendency to dig in a lot when chipping. I haven't have the best of time with the 52 and definitely need more practice time with it.

Overall, i feel that this wedge is definitely not made for high handicappers and will prefer to use these wedges on firmer grounds. You  will definitely need skills to fully utilise the potential of it. I absolutely love the looks of these wedges and will be keeping it as my (low bounce/firm ground wedge) to rotate. 

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

Edited by magpies

Nice reviews, guys. I still haven't had time to take mine to the course or range but carpet review against Vokey Forged is that these are every bit the wedge the Vokey's are with slightly softer feel. Shape, ease of use, spin, etc are all very similar.  I do disagree with the comment that you don't feel mis**ts though. I think these are soft but not Epon soft at all.  They're soft but there is definite feedback on mis**ts. I would say these are an absolute pro's wedge... a pro who likes likes a wedge that feels softer rather than harsh and with good feedback.  

Update on my wedges:

after 5 rounds and more range time i felt the wedges soften up. i guess it took me time to get used to the grind as well.

Wedges are definitely softer than my first round and spin is still on par. ive chose to put the 50* and 54* in my backup bag and game the 60* for a a bit. overall i am happy with these wedges and will reserve them for more firm/dry courses. the bolds will be my main gamers for the soft conditions in Massachusetts.

• 1 month later...

Hello 

finally after a full summer , I have time to bring them to my clubmaker 

it will be 

52 on quadra 652sr like my irons

56 and 60 on steelfiber i95 r

will test them this weekend 

review to come soon 

first cession on the range yesterday , there are really good , not soft as my miura but softer than the a-grind , i really liked the feel .

first ball gave me a surprise , after the shot I looked at the face and a huge mark was there , this wedge is a scratching ball machine , the mark was the cover of the ball .

on every shot i lost a piece of the ball :) 

will play two rounds this weekend , and give you a feedback on the field

update

After 15 rounds with the Seven wedges I can confidently say they will remain in my bag for a very long time.

I've seen some people replace their PW with a wedge so I decided to do the following:

Seven 52 to 48*

Seven 56 to 52.5*

Seven 60 to 58*

So far so good after 5 rounds with the Seven wedges after the adjustments. Time will tell if the lost of 4* bounce will start to dig on me.

Edited by neova
Spelling

Ok so here is my final review , will only do the 52/56 as it's the only one I had with me , never had 60 before so no comparaison.

The 3 setup 

miura  y53 / a-grind black 52 / seven 52 : quadra 652sr

miura k56 / a-grind black 58 ( bent 57 ) / seven 56 : steelfiber i95 R 

seven 60 : steelfiber i95 S

Feel :

miura and seven are both really soft , exactly what I like and what I was missing a bit with the a-grind

Distance :

No real difference noticeable between the 3 brands for me , maybe longer with the seven . Need more round to be sure.

Forgiveness :

Definitely the seven , the a-grind gave me forgiveness but the seven brought confidence , it's so easy , i played the 60 without thinking.

Bounce :

Yesterday was sunny like since 8 days , i played on dry field, fairway, rough and bunker .

nothing bothers the seven compare to the others

today was rainy , soft and wet grass and earth , it was as easy as yesterday to play , no real digging .

Conclusion :

the seven that I would never have bought are THE surprise , congrats for the job to do such good heads , they are in my bag for long I think . 

They brought me confidence around the green , I really love them ( as much as you can love a golf club ) 

Edited by smstef