2016 Ryoma Maxima Driver Review

DSC1124.jpg

Introducing the Ryoma Maxima 2016 Driver - Here are your first in hand photos and review of what is one of the most highly anticipated drivers from a Japanese golf brand this year. Three years in the making Ryoma claims to have made a significant improvement in all around club head performance over the previous version (D1 Maxima) which was released nearly three years ago. If you have tried any of Ryoma Golf's clubs you know, they are not just another club made for the sake of a new release they often bring the player better and tangible results over most other clubs.

DSC1088-Edit.jpg

Starting with the photo above the new 2016 Ryoma Maxima's shape has evolved into what visually looks more symmetrical and balanced,  this deep face also has a decent amount of impact area on the heel and toe section for added forgiveness.  So after hitting the new Maxima extensively I found it to be much straighter than the D1,  somehow Ryoma has managed to keep off-center shots much straighter whereas the previous D1 was considered a bit wild on mis-hits.   My personal bad shots are high and low on the face, and these types of misses were no problem when I did hit it on the heel or toe intentionally the face absorbed the harsher vibration well, and the dispersion seemed to have a lot less side spin than the previous version.  By the way, I'm hitting the 6S Stiff Flex 63g Standard Ryoma Shaft by Graphite Design.

DSC1105-Edit.jpg

As shown above, the address view is much improved the 2016 Ryoma Maxima no longer has that elongated and awkward shape it looks like a semi players driver now, it's a full 460cc's but looks to hide it's size very well. The paint on the crown and new face design makes the face look more square; I found the Type-D as seen in these photos to look totally square.

One of the things many people said about the D1 Maxima was that without a stable shaft the dispersion was a bit wild especially for the aggressive swinger, I used to consider this a hosel depth issue but it was actually just a head characteristic as the D1's hosel depth was no different from most drivers on the market. Good news is with the new 2016 Ryoma Maxima is they have solved this issue and while sharing the standard stiff flex with players who usually hit X they could quickly adapt their tempo to hit some super powerful and long drives without the wayward deflection. So what we have now is not only a much better shaped and looking new Ryoma for 2016 we also have one that fits a wider range of player and keeps just about everyone in the fairway better than the previous version.

DSC1129.jpg

Distance is the key when it comes to Ryoma clubs,  their drivers, fairways, utility woods and heck even their putters are known to produce better range than other brands.  The new 2016 Ryoma Maxima is indeed longer as far as I can tell comparing the D1 vs 2016 using their heaviest stock stiff graphite design shafts I was getting the same carry but much more roll like 10yds+  comparing the two the launch angles they are both similar mid/high but the difference was the 2016 Maxima had a more penetrating and less floaty ball flight.  What I'm getting all around from the experience of the new driver is it's better for everyone.

2016-Ryoma-Maxima-1.jpg

Spin rates seem to have noticeably lowered but are still won't produce knuckle balls; the new Maxima is very easy to hit high, straight and long. Feel is different but equal, not better or worse than before just a touch less hollow still springy yet firm and I prefer the acoustics of the new version by a bit. Hitting both the D1 vs. the 2016 Ryoma Maxima side by side Type-D 10.5 with stiff flex shafts was a good yet nonscientific way to test the evolution between the two. Ryoma is legit I have not experienced this type of all around the improvement of a club that looked so similar to it's predecessor even in name. I like that they did not give it a new name. What is also very telling is that Ryoma pulled all D1 Maxima stock from Japanese Golf Stores early and had even asked TSG to stop selling the previous conforming model. THIS people is what shows a brands integrity they are not concerned to liquidating their old stock before the new one arrives.

Hope my brief review helped, I can confidently suggest this driver to a wide range of players, The Type V in Black for it's heavier head weight and square face angle with stiff stock shaft selection to the Type-G for the smoother slower swinger who want's a lighter club head & spec and finally the standard Type-D which is what I feel most average players will fit into well as it's a good all-around balance of launch, shaft specs, and head weights. TSG can also custom order you head weights; we can offer the new 2016 Maxima weight kit or custom build your Ryoma Maxima to the head weight you want and even request custom hand picked specs for the more discerning player.

Type-D (click here)
Type-G (click here)
Type-V (click here)

The previous model came in left handed for the Type V.  Will they make the new head in left handed as well?

Edited by Mob

4 hours ago, Mob said:

The previous model came in left handed for the Type V.  Will they make the new head in left handed as well?

Im sorry I can confirm there will be no lefty this year.

Welp... put me down for one of these in 8.5 Type V. 

I'll email you soon.

Nice review.

cant wait for the reviews. my fav is the original d1 vspec, still have it & game it occasionally. tried the maxima d couple of years ago, didnt like it - sound & wgt. Sold it quickly.

hopefully this 3rd version is diff.

• 1 month later...

This is my review after 4 rounds with 2016 Type-D Maxima with Beyond Power shaft

Ball Flight: my is 10.5* and the ball flies like 10.5* of original D-1 head. Thought it's higher but it's not 

Distance: very long. Among the longest drivers I have

Forgiveness and dispersion: totally agree with what Chris said above. 2016 Maxima is very easy to hit and the best thing about this driver is that you'll surely keep the ball in fairway more. Mis**t on upper or lower part of the face still goes straight and loses not much distance while mis**t on heel or toe won't punish you that much.... kinda acceptable damage

Feel: great. Tad harder than original D-1 soft and tad softer than Epon 105 hard

Sound: about 4 in scale of 10. Think most of you will love the sound and feel

Others: the head cover is the best stock driver head cover I saw. No need to buy after market aesthetic hc to replace it. The head finish is great and looks expensive 

In summary, overall for me 2016 Maxima is an improvement over its predecessors D-1 and D-1 Maxima. It's surely safe and great investment if you're finding a new driver

Mark

With the beyond power shaft, does it create enough roll, I had the beyond power on my maxima 10.5, it launch high with lot of carry but not enough roll, just curious if the new ryoma and beyond shaft combo will do the same, I m currently have the new ryoma type D 10.5 paired with AAA 2016 50S, I tested the same shaft on the ZY7 11* loft, launch about the same not too high but just nice, however I found the ZY7 roll a bit more, distance both about the same but the new ryoma more forgiving and easier to hit. But in a good shot maybe the ZY 7 win by a hair.

I tend to hit drivers downwards and sometimes under the ball and balloon it (this is why I may sell my beloved LFD driver head as its CG is very low)

Anyway, on avg, the new Maxima rolls less than D-1 Maxima. For me, it rolls about the same as original D-1 head. I never change the shaft on my new Maxima so not sure other shafts will get more roll on this head or not

Anyone else try this new Maxima?  This seems to be getting far less fanfare than previous Ryoma drivers on here...

5 hours ago, Mjr. D said:

Anyone else try this new Maxima?  This seems to be getting far less fanfare than previous Ryoma drivers on here...

I have the 10.5type D/AAA 2016 50s played at 46" , I have owned the previous maxima type G also the type G special tuning same loft, but even this one said the CG is lower but I find that it doesn't launch as high as the previous model, sound and feel definanly improve a lot, it doesn't have the high pitch tune as the previous model,  it feels more solid but u can still feel the spring kind of feel, distance improved closed to special tuning version. It carry but I think the roll not as much as the ZY 7 with the same shaft. I always find ryoma has a ugly design even their Wood but this one improve a bit. Rounded the edges and looks much better. Very easy club and dead straight. Very straight..... 

This is for sure Ryoma's version of this driver.

straighter
not as squirly
better feel
looks better
launch is lower than previous
less side spin
= longer for me.

Gamed the Type G driver on stock regular in Jakarta a few days back

My personal opinion is:

1. the launch is lower, thus more roll

2. Easier to get the sweet spot compared to the maxima 

3.. Not really straighter. Very much depends on the swing. 

4. At address, it looks way better as you can see the lines on the face

All in all, it's a driver I will game, but to me, very little improvement from the maxima

7 hours ago, Romaro-Slut said:

Gamed the Type G driver on stock regular in Jakarta a few days back

My personal opinion is:

1. the launch is lower, thus more roll

2. Easier to get the sweet spot compared to the maxima 

3.. Not really straighter. Very much depends on the swing. 

4. At address, it looks way better as you can see the lines on the face

All in all, it's a driver I will game, but to me, very little improvement from the maxima

Dont forget shaft and build.. We cant pass final judgment of any club without making sure It has at least 2 of my favorite go to shafts and especially in the length, swing weight, grip size that works best.

40 minutes ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Dont forget shaft and build.. We cant pass final judgment of any club without making sure It has at least 2 of my favorite go to shafts and especially in the length, swing weight, grip size that works best.

I have the ryoma on the BP shaft and I use that as a comparison

No pun intended. just feedback after using it for a few holes