Epon for sale - Endo leaving golf biz

TourSpecGolfer

Not sure if other sites are reporting this as well but there is a wide spread rumor that Epon is for sale. The problem is if they find a buyer it's almost certain the clubs will no longer be produced by Endo. The top man in charge of Endo's golf div left a couple months ago bringing nearly the entire golf operation to a halt.  Endo is likely leaving golf which is something we knew they were working toward for a couple of years to focus on the medical and auto industry.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite surprise at all if big names in golf starting to pull out. That's as long as the company has other sector to attend too. Nike, for example, no longer do golf equipments. Adidas also put TM on sale. Driving ranges in cities are closing down for real estate development. Courses are closing down as well, as most modern gen couldn't find 6 hours to spare for a full round of golf. It's interesting how golf industries will adapt to these changes. 

22 minutes ago, vertigo88 said:

Another TSG Boutique Brand?

I deal with Epon and  Kumi from EPON 

also have it on good authority that Epon will not be closing down its golf business 

1 hour ago, Cara said:

I deal with Epon and  Kumi from EPON 

also have it on good authority that Epon will not be closing down its golf business 

Thanks!

This post isn't saying Epon will close down it's golf business.  It's that Endo will likely leave the golf business and Epon is available.

Edit:

I saw you made another post that included:

Hi there people, I'm new to this site but I had a customer call me yesterday asking me if Epon golf was closing or being sold if a buyer was found.

I sent an email asking this question to my contact who I deal with at Epon /Endo forging and Kumi came back to me and told me that's it's NOT true 

That answer is expected right?  It started as rumors months ago,  then turned into a little bit more than rumors.   I will not go into that but let's stay positive and hope both Endo and Epon pull through and thrive.

There are also a couple other JDM brands in turmoil right now and they would say the same if asked.  The Japanese especially always put on a good face staying quiet about these types of matters avoiding showing weakness at all costs.  

I have asked the guy that deal directly with Epon Japan and Endo factory in Thailand. No one got clue about this exit of golf deal and selling of Epon. 

Epon still has plan for new releases next year and forged at Endo. 

Disclamier advised. This is what I've been told.

7 hours ago, jimmieboi said:

I have asked the guy that deal directly with Epon Japan and Endo factory in Thailand. No one got clue about this exit of golf deal and selling of Epon. 

Epon still has plan for new releases next year and forged at Endo. 

Disclamier advised. This is what I've been told.

That's good news,  maybe everything I'm being told is wrong.  I hope that's the case.

On 16 August 2016 at 8:45 PM, vertigo88 said:

Another TSG Boutique Brand?

I got the email saying that nothing is changing and they were wanting to know where the story originated from.

2 hours ago, Cara said:

I got the email saying that nothing is changing and they were wanting to know where the story originated from.

Things have already changed and will likely continue to and while I cant say this story originated from me feel free to tell them you heard it here first.  

They know this has been floating around for a long time in the Japan Golf Industry and the whispers have become louder with recent events.

I expect them to act surprised, say they have new products coming (which is true) and say they are growing and doing well.

6 hours ago, jimmieboi said:

Epon/Endo is a giant in Japan golf industry. If they are struggling, I'd be more worried for the other JDM boutique brand. 

Most Boutique brands could never afford to produce at Endo other than their own house label.  

Boutique brands tend to have handmade clubs so I wouldn't be worried about them at all.   

Endo used to be #1 at high quality mass production irons & drivers.  There was a gap in quality between Japan vs China for years but with the rise of China's tech and capabilities Endo lost many of their largest brand clients due to cost and service,  If you look for yourself at who used to be made at Endo vs who is now it's night and day.  

Golf equipment production is way down for all factories worldwide.  Mold production, machine sales is down a lot too.  brands are being way more cautious with their spending as well.

This shift can be seen as a positive though,  if harnessed correctly it can bring back handmade clubs and smaller companies helping club fitters over the big box stores.  

Golf is kinda a dying or in a recession state right now. Endo forged will and always will be the best. China's made golf are at best mediocre but cheaper to produce. I'm not quite worried about boutique brands as they produce in small batch and sell for more, no advertising and endorsing either. 

With the new management team, I'm pretty certain that Epon/Endo will continue to thrive in golf biz in years to come. Post-Kobayashi team made some of the best Epon golf products. Take new Personal 3 for example, the reservation slot is already full. Probably the fastest sold out limited Epon ever. 

On 8/18/2016 at 9:48 AM, jimmieboi said:

Golf is kinda a dying or in a recession state right now. Endo forged will and always will be the best. China's made golf are at best mediocre but cheaper to produce. I'm not quite worried about boutique brands as they produce in small batch and sell for more, no advertising and endorsing either. 

With the new management team, I'm pretty certain that Epon/Endo will continue to thrive in golf biz in years to come. Post-Kobayashi team made some of the best Epon golf products. Take new Personal 3 for example, the reservation slot is already full. Probably the fastest sold out limited Epon ever. 

That's how one would see it from the outside so I understand where your coming from.  Many Insiders have been talking about Endo's exit from the golf industry, the rumors have come from factories, former clients and past employee's as well.   The retail accounts will always hear it last unfortunately.   I hope everyone is wrong including myself.

Once Endo had most of the big OEMs volume which is no longer the case.  Discerning fans on TSG could tell what club is made where by the face materials used in woods,  S20C + how the cavity was pressed as well as the nuances of that beautiful Niigata TSUBAME SANJO polishing. Endo's business model is based high volume and very high quality mass production and now there isn't enough work so it's start and stop.  Lay offs were made prior to even this recent equipment contraction.  The recent loss of a key executive didn't help either.

By the way this contraction of OEM orders started more than a year ago at a factory level  and many knew what was coming.  Many tier 2 factories in China have also disappeared.  3 key factories produce most the product today,  sometimes they outsource smaller volumes or tasks to Tier 3. There is a lot of consolidation going on and competitors in some cases now work together.

I can get deep on this topic in areas that would surprise many or just float over peoples heads as they don't really care.  Like the strategy Chinese factories used to compete against each other or how some OEM's don't know exactly where their clubs are produced.  The order flow of manufacturing has been disrupted from just a few years ago and many brands do not know about it. 

It's not drama,  it's just business and equipment from the manufacturing side has never really been a transparent topic.  How does TSG know these things?  well it's pretty straight forward we deal with many OEM's "directly" and can kinda read what they are saying and figure out where it's made.  Then we also introduce smaller brands to factories and provide advise to gain traction upmarket without using an agent,  this gives us insight to the reasons why brands move production among other things.  Then we know people in the industry and at the factories in both Japan & China.   Take everything I say with a grain of salt or not,  I do think we keep our finger on the pulse of the industry in Asia.

There is some promising Good news for JPN golf manufacturing,  a new factory has been built with major investment and construction going on now.  They already produce what I consider the very best quality gear.  I'm told former Endo staff  has some part to play so Good luck to them. They do have a leader who has a vision and works his tail off.  respect.

The truth with any large company is it usually starts with a single persons vision then often decades go by and as it becomes the industry leader and a behemoth ways become set in stone.  Then comes along big industry changes, competition from China and inner turmoil (especially in Japan).  Different ideas and visions over time take it further from the core ideals that made it great.  I'm not just talking about Endo,  every strong company needs that passionate leader behind it who has skin in the game.

Despite not working with Epon/Endo anymore I have a strong attachment to that brand.  It was once our baby.  While I can't say I created it I can recount the day I asked Endo to make me a wedge.  It was too expensive and they showed me their obscure and faded brand that had almost no customers worldwide and asked for our help.   The rest is history and the people working at Epon today know nothing of that turning point.  Epon will go on no doubt and announce great new products, will it sell or stay and how do they exist in the future if Endo decides to leave as many are telling me is likely.

I hope people find my opinion's interesting at the least.

I do. Great read/info. 

Me, too.

Make it three. 

It's very interesting. 

Epon is doing very well right now with the new management team. Its product lines are better than ever without Kobayashi. The new P3 is promised to be the next big thing like the SUS316 AND the new adjustable driver with through bore tech is coming out soon (probably the next Zero). Epon is here to stay. 

We do see golf moving to China is affecting JDM in a bad way. Tourstage was better than current Bridgestone. Endo Onoff KURO forged was legend and still sought after. Callaway Legacy line was great too and now we no longer have premium line up for Callaway. List goes on and on.

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 11:20 AM, jimmieboi said:

It's very interesting. 

Epon is doing very well right now with the new management team. Its product lines are better than ever without Kobayashi. The new P3 is promised to be the next big thing like the SUS316 AND the new adjustable driver with through bore tech is coming out soon (probably the next Zero). Epon is here to stay. 

We do see golf moving to China is affecting JDM in a bad way. Tourstage was better than current Bridgestone. Endo Onoff KURO forged was legend and still sought after. Callaway Legacy line was great too and now we no longer have premium line up for Callaway. List goes on and on.

When you say 'Epon is doing very well right now' do you mean you personally like their current line up? Or do you know something about how their doing financially? There's a big difference between putting out good products and being on a sound financial footing. 

I know cuz they have established a new management team. I buy anything I like and that's not exclusively Epon. Their latest offerings are better than Kobayashi was the CEO. Most of their limited products are sold out even before launch, the Personal 3. 

Vegaman, if you live in BKK go to GolfCraft and ask about this issue. They deal directly with Epon Japan not as an authorized dealer.  It should enlighten you. 

2 hours ago, jimmieboi said:

I know cuz they have established a new management team. I buy anything I like and that's not exclusively Epon. Their latest offerings are better than Kobayashi was the CEO. Most of their limited products are sold out even before launch, the Personal 3. 

Vegaman, if you live in BKK go to GolfCraft and ask about this issue. They deal directly with Epon Japan not as an authorized dealer.  It should enlighten you. 

Yes, I have been to GolfCraft, but just for looking at stuff, never spoke to them about Epons financial health. What I mean is that I doubt that GolfCraft would have inside information about Epons financial status or wether the board of Endo is considering getting out of the golf related part of their business.