3-wood advise

glensmithis

So, I just ordered my first JDM driver (jBeam zy-7) and now I am looking for a 3-wood. I am a 2.6 index with a driver swing speed of 105-110. I am not sure at all about how any of these JDM fairway woods perform but, I am kinda leaning toward the Maruman Shuttle or maybe the Conductor Pro X2 or the Crazy CRZ or AGrind or possibly a PRGR or jBeam or RomaRo even the Homma TW727. See, I have no idea, that's why I am asking for input.

@ ur SS id forget the shuttle,  add the ryoma f2.

the rest are in play. as are last years  PRGR Eggs,  the new  beams   look pretty good.  crazy f series. iplayed my old syard  xv 3w last week, and that had   lost none of  its  lustre,  great all rounder that one.  does better with a bit of head weight added tho., as is they are bit airy fairy  or  light.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Romaro Type-R 3W. I've heard others say the 2016 Ray V 3W is even better.

1 hour ago, glensmithis said:

Thanks, The RomaRo Ray V 3+ (14⁰) was on my radar before.  Any idea how their stock shaft is?

I play their stock shafts in stiff and it works fine great for me. My driver SS is 105-110mph.

I have similar driver swing speeds as you and only started JDM path in 2014... 

Here are the 3w I've owned and played with more than 10 rounds - all with Ahina or ili'ma 80x shaft at 43"

Off the Tee only (220cc +)

1) Baldo 8C Brassy (Ahina 70x at 45") thriver

2) Geotech SP2

Better off the Tee than Deck

3) SYB W422V (current gamer)

4) Bridgestone X-drive GR 2009

5) PRGR Spoon 2013

Great All Around

6) Fourteen SF714

7) Romaro Ray Type R 5+ (current gamer)

8) Royal Collection JP 104 FW

As you can see I have two FW in rotation one better for Tee shots one more all around. It depends what I courses I play and a good excuse to keep a couple JDM sets!

I can't speak for the difference between the RomaRo Ray FW vs the Type-R FW, but I do have the RomaRo Ray UT and Type-R UT.  The Ray UT is slightly more forgiving with a hotter face, and the Type-R is more workable and more versatile in different lies.

The Honma TW-U is the easiest Driving Iron I have gamed. Previously tried a Titliest 712U, Srixon Z U45, Fourteen HI-660, Fourteen Type-7, and the Honma TW-U is the most forgiving, controllable, and playable DI. I have it in a 21* to replace my 3-iron as the TW717M is very scary to hit in 21*. It's my perfect alternative to UT or FW on tight par-4's, and very easy to hit solid off fairways and  1st cut of rough (deeper than 1st cut of rough i find DI sucks and you need UT or mid irons to escape).

I re-shafted my TW-U with a 3-iron length Project X PXi 6.0 as I play PX 6.0 in my irons and wedges. 

It has a more piercing flight than the NS Pro 950.

I played a round with the 950 in the TU-W and it is excellent for approach shots with a higher flight that drops down but I need that club to run out more as I use it more off the tee or I like to run my approach onto the green so PXi fits better

Edited by neova

For 3w just buy an older yamaha, either the v-fw or the i.f.f tour. Awesome fairways.